cluster or migraine?

Radha

i wanted to know if any of you have cluster headaches or have gotten that diagnosis, i really think my headaches are more cluster than migraine, but the one difference is that my headaches never last just minutes, but they do involve only one eye and always on same side, ice helps and so does breathing oxygen sometimes, i am scared because i am using imitrex and maxalt, (not at same time of course!!) very often and i know it will lose effect the more often i take it, which is already happening, if you do get clusters, what has helped you? and any specific symptoms that you get? i have already read alot about both kinds of headaches, i am getting this almost daily, dont know what to do, usually after eating, when blood is pooling into hands, any input would be appreciated, thanks

radha

I don't have cluster migraines, but hubs does. He's on a very low dose beta blocker and that keeps them in good check. He only gets them once in awhile now.

His are just like yours. They are migraines, just a different way of presenting. If you use some meds a lot, you can get what's called rebound. If you take a fair amont of a drug for headache, then don't take it, you can get rebound headaches. This happens to hubs whenever he decides he doesn't need the atenolol anymore. (silly boy)

My son takes topamax for his headaches and he'd never stop, it has made a huge difference in his life.

So there are prophylactic type drugs to take to help prevent them, as opposed to trying to get rid of one after you've gotten it.

Hi, I'm a headache queen. Are you followed by a neurologist for your headaches. As Morgan stated there are medicines which can be taken daily to reduce the number and severity of cluster/migraines. I was on a seizure med (for migraines) that helped tremendously. I took it every day but I lost so much weight on it I had to go off (like ten pounds in a month which is a lot for me). Good luck!

Carmen

I get cluster headaches alot. I found that meds and oxygen together help make me feel better. So doctor set up for me to have oxygen at home. Plus it help when I my pots is really bad, when I have chest pain and shortness of breath too.

I get cluster headaches and also very very severe headaches that don't respond to migraine medications but don't seem to be tension headaches, so we haven't figured out exactly where they are coming from! For me the clusters are brief but intense, like being stabbed through the eyeball into my brain with a knife, repeatedly, five or six times in the course of a few minutes.

Headaches are a mysterious thing to me ... and none of the doctors I've seen seem to know anything about them. One just prescribed med after useless med with a kind of desperate hopelessness ("I have no idea what's going on, so let's just keep her doped and hope she won't notice that I'm not actually doing anything").

Hope you find out what's causing yours!

-monkey

topomax is commonly used to treat migraines--it's an anitseizure medication associated with weight loss in those who take it.

I've taken neurontin, which is also an antiseizure med, but I didn't lose any weight on it.

Nina