flomax vs self cath

LEM123

I was wondering if anyone has used the drug flomox? I finally went to the urologist yesterday. After peeing, I held 10 oz of fluid in my bladder. He wants me to start taking flomax at bedtime. He said it could cause dizziness so to take it right before I go to sleep. Due to past problems with medications, I am such a chicken when it comes to trying new drugs. I asked him if there was another option. He said I could self cath. everynight. I don't like that option either. Does anyone have any advice or similar experiences? Thanks.

Hey there Lem123,

I believe you spelled the medication wrong in your message, correct in the title. I looked it up, too and its used for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia. Flomax is also called Tamsulosin and is used "to reduce urinary obstruction and relieve associated manifestations in hypertensive or normotensive patients with symptomatic benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH, benign prostatic hypertrophy). Tamsulosin relieves mild to moderate obstructive manifestations (e.g., hesitancy, terminal dribbling of urine, interrupted or weak stream, impaired size and force of stream, sensation of incomplete bladder emptying or straining) and improves urinary flow rates in a substantial proportion of patients...." This came from Medscape.

If I had your problem, my daughter had it, I would take the medicine.

I have tried all kinds of medications for urinary frequency, I even had a device

implanted in my bladder, sort of like a pacemaker, you have it tuned at the urologists office. That didn't work either!! Had it removed. My urologists said it is a major part of NCS and didn't want to mess around too much because he was afraid the medications would mess up my system even more.

Good luck

Sue

As a rule of thumb <because I am so sensitive to meds> I always ask my doc for the pediatric dosing. Or I try half or a quarter of the pill and work myself up to the full dose -- if appropriate and safe based on the type of med.

The drug I am talking is DDAVP, and it s typically used by children for bed wetting. It 'tells' the kidney to concentrate the urine so I don't have to get up all night to use the bathroom.

Good luck,

EM

I had this same problem of urine retention after my daughter was born. It lasted for months, but eventually resolved itself. I saw a urologist who put me on an antibiotic. (At this point I had stopped breast-feeding.) I can't remember what it was now. Anyway, I took this antibiotic for MONTHS to prevent repeated infection due to the fact that my bladder wasn't emptying well. I didn't have any problems with/side effects from the antibiotic.

I suppose the bladder problem may have been related to autonomic dysfunction, but I don't know.

Thanks guys for all of the replies. I did spell the drug name wrong, it is flomax. Brain fog is something else, isn't it? Sorry about that.

I still haven't tried the medication. I am so sensitive and such a chicken. This is a capulse and says not to break or I would split it in half. What a great idea. My doc said you don't know if it will cause a reaction until you try it. Easy for him to say.

Again thanks for the support.