Lexapro or klonopin?

icthus

Yesterday, my EP prescribed Klonopin for the anxiety that I feel from 3pm to about 4 am every night. It is somewhat low-grade, but it lures me into nervous eating and wakefulness almost all night. I also probably have generalized anxiety disorder (GAD). My internist prescribed Lexipro for the anxiety. While I am not real depressed, I probably have GAD and the seratonin is "good" for dysautonomia. Both said I could go either way.

My concern that has not been addressed: my heart stopped on Wednesday (the EP knows about that) and I'm concerned especially that the Klonopin will slow things down further. But the EP things all the dysrhythymias would be reduced with the Klonopin.

The catch: when the EP prescribed the Klonopin, he gave me a lengthly explanation about how the Klonopin is an SSRI and would be of great benefit to the autonomic issues in general. (Klonopin is not an SSRI; Lexapro is - but he only spoke of Klonopin.)

I have both drugs sitting next to my bed waiting for the next move. Where do I go from here? Klonopin or Lexapro? Any advice?

Hi,

I take both. I started on a low dose of Lexipro and I am up to 10 mgs daily. I also have Klonopin prescribed for 3 times a day but I only take one at night or when I need it. (usually when I feel an "episode coming on".

If you go on any med make sure you give it time to work, especially with ssri's. You may feel funny at first or may have to gradually increase your dosage. But give them a fair chance, at lest 6 weeks . Unless you just cant tolerate it. SSRI's help with depression, help with nerve conduction, and from what I have been told can prevent nerve deterioration in combo with other drugs.

There were previous posts on both lexapro and klonopin. You may want to read those.

Peace

Janine

HI,

I've tried both. Many dr's prescribe them both. The klonpin helps to reduce any side effects one may have while starting or stopping the ssri.

Personally I could not tolerate the lexapro well with side effects. I am going to give it another try during the time when I am off from work for a week.

I find the klonopin works well. Good luck!

What exactly is Klonopin? I have asked my drs about this, as I suffer terrible anxiety almost daily, it starts at about 3pm and lasts until about midnight - so far they have only been able to control it with Xanax (one at 3pm and one at 9pm), but I find Xanax is fairly short lasting, and have heard that Klonopin is longer lasting? Is that correct?

Also, does it go by other names? As my drs haven't heard of it.

Hi I have taken klonopin in the past.. and I found it to be helpful.. i too it before bed.. as it made me incredibly sleepy.. and it helped me sleep somewhat better..

I had to go off of it this past spring I think.. but I cant at the moment recall why i had too..

Oh I rememebr.. I was on a combo of trazadone and clonidine as well as ambien to take at bed time.. and the trazadone doseage was quite high... as my cardio told me once.. "enough to knock out ahorse out".. well my syncope got worse..and we ended up stopping all of the meds above... with a combo of the meds.. my Bp was getting to low.. not b/c of klonopin.. but b/c of the trazadone... and once the trazadone was stopped the syncope didnt occur as often..

Edited by dizzygirl

What exactly is Klonopin? I have asked my drs about this, as I suffer terrible anxiety almost daily, it starts at about 3pm and lasts until about midnight - so far they have only been able to control it with Xanax (one at 3pm and one at 9pm), but I find Xanax is fairly short lasting, and have heard that Klonopin is longer lasting? Is that correct?

Also, does it go by other names? As my drs haven't heard of it.

Klonopin is spelled numerous ways. It's ten-penny name is "clonazepam" and from what I can determine from past posts, most take either 0.5mg or 0.25mg per day. I was prescribed 0.5mg but becuase I over-react to everything, I'll start with half that and see if it works...

Icthus

Guest Belinda

d4g7-Klonopin is a longer acting benzo. it has a longer half life so it stays in your system longer and you don't have so many ups and downs like while on ativan or xanax.

I have done quite some research on these drugs before I was diagnosed with POTS they thought I too had GAD or anxiety attacks.

I didn't fair well with either of these daily but once in a while is okay..I usuallyu just pop an ativan 1/mth. for chest pain to help me calm down.

Klonopin can be addictive but the body processes it more slowly so it is easier to withdraw from especially if you are sensitive..Lexapro is a newer form of Celexa and has less side effects or is supposed to, it is formed from certain molecules of celexa.

Take care and good luck!

Belinda

Did you say your heart stopped? Do you mean literally? Like in, you had to be resuscitated? Or do you mean you have ectopic beats that involve the sensation of your heart stopping?

I have taken both Klonopin and Lexapro. I felt more anxious on Lexapro, which I took for four months. I now take Effexor instead, another antidepressant but one that also affects norepinephrine levels in addition to serotonin. I have taken Klonopin on and off -- but mostly on -- for 11 years. I have had no addiction problems with it and have taken various dosages. Right now I take 0.5 mg or 0.25 mg daily, depending on how anxious I feel. I would start with 0.25 mg to see how you respond (this is a half a pill) before taking a whole one.

Lexapro must be tried for at least 8 weeks to see if it's going to work for you, FYI. Some people find much better success taking both an antidepressant and benzo like Klonopin together than with Klonopin alone.

Amy