ARGGHHH...I had my job review today and got docked BIGTIME for being out

mngirl

I have been in the hospital 3 times this past year...last March for 14 days (that was when they diagnosed my POTS), then again in Oct...another issue possibly due to POTS and then again in Nov...PLUSA...I am out about 8 hours a week to go to infusion treatments for my arm, due to a WORK COMP issue.

So in my review, he stated that I needed to be more dependable and reliable! I was told that I need to hunt him down to tell him that I am going to be out (even though I was VERY sick in the hospital)! I got docked because when I was in the hospital, there was a customer request deadline that went by...I didn't remember while in the hospital (never mind about this time the crash team was being called into my hospital room...oh, but I am supposed to tell him!)...He had to do it and missed the deadline (which was not a MAJOR issue)...but it was noted that I MISSED THE DEADLINE DUE TO HIM HAVING TO DO IT!!!! ISn't there something wrong with this?

I met EVERY GOAL set by them while working basically 3/4 to 2/3 time! I think that states I am awfully reliable and dependable, don't you think? I was told that then I should have asked for more projects!

ARGGHHH!!! I was told that until all this health stuff changes, my next review is probably going to look exactly the same! I just don't get how they can do this. Yes, I am happy to have a job...but this is ridiculous.

Due to my work comp issue, I was under restrictions by my doc...I couldn't lift more than a certain amount. So...work had to get additional help...I was docked because they had to do that! My fault....never mind that they put me in this situation. I had a different job and then they changed the jobs on me that required them to have to hire the intern. How do I get docked for that?

I am SO FRUSTRATED!!! I thought that there was something that states they can't base my review on such things?

Well...I am going to write my comments back...not that they will mean anything. I just want to make sure that it makes it to my record.

~Lisa

Lisa, that is aweful. I was fired from my job because of "improper call out." I went to the hospital by ambulance one day and didn't call my manager until that night when I got home. Nice, huh?! Then before, my manager used to tell me that I didn't work up to potential...right...I busted my butt and did things that were hard for me to do. I was in charge of the ATM and that included doing alot of lifting and bending, etc. That comment made me really upset and mad, because I did more then the other workers! Anyhow, I understand how you are feeling.

Jacquie

Contact ADA (American with disabilities Act) as well as EEO (Equal Employment Opportunity).

I believe it is illegal for them to act in this manner when you have a documented disability. Contact these resources and ask them how to protect your job and keep this type of thing happening to you in the future. Your employer may be gearing up to fire you and you want your file documented before they do this!

I just don't think that there is any way they CAN fire me...I am protected both by my work comp claim, which is the reason for me being out 98% of the time and I use my FMLA or vacation time for the hospitalizations. They have no case against me otherwise.

The thing is too...then my boss goes on to say that I have wasted talent and that if my health issues would go away that I might have a chance at a better position. But that don't happen as long as I have these health issues...and to me that is where the discrimination comes in. I CAN DO THE JOB...and I have proven that I can do it on less hours than the normal person. Funny thing is that the person in the position before me was always running up to the deadlines...it took the full 40 hour week to get items complete...I do it in 30...

I think that my work knows better...if they want to try to fire me, they certainly won't like what I would have to dish out. They would know they are in the wrong. I know that they have thought about it though...the work comp insurance rep is working hard at that one for them.

Well...I wrote my response. I think that it sounds pretty good...not mean or anything....just laying it out there...making sure that my dependability and dedication is not in question.

I will make sure that this makes it to my file!

It just makes me so mad that I worked so hard for them over the past year when I felt so amazingly crappy and this is the type of review I get. I can't even believe that he can sleep at night stating such things.

AARRGGHHH...management....

~Lisa

I was 'pushed' from my last job when I fell ill. I had worked there for 6 years in a mangemental role, and was working long days and weekends. I started to feel ill, and thought it was a bit of 'burn-out', as I have a heart condition, which was fairly well under control, then I got tachycardia that would not stop, and spend almost a week in hospital with the tachy, fainting etc - they couldn't explain it. After my hospital stay, I was given a medical certificate stating I needed a further 2 weeks off work (bearing in mind that I had not had many sick days or even holidays prior to this happening).

My boss refused to accept the medical certificate and said that if I did take any time off, I wouldn't have a job to go back to. So, I didn't have any time off, and just got sicker and sicker, until I ended up in hospital again, and then again - it was the doctor who told me to 'quit' my job, as it wasn't helping at all.

I didn't want to quit - I had worked there for a fairly long time, made good friends, and traveled the world with this job - but as I got sicker, my boss kept making an example of me in meetings, saying that due to my mystery illness, we couldn't guarantee that we could meet deadlines. It was extremely embarrassing, for both me and all of my colleagues - he just made himself look like an idiot.

Anyway, he kept pushing me - didin't like the fact that I was ill (he didn't like 'sick' people, as he was one of these people that never gets the flu or anything, and seemed to think that everyone is faking).

It did eventually get so uncomfortable that I had to leave - he did and said things that were illegal - and I could have taken him to court over it - however I couldn't be bothered wasting my energy, when I and my colleagues knew what happened. Anyway, it seems karma has played a role, as pretty much all of the key staff left within 3 months of me leaving - and I was told last week that they haven't been able to fill the roles with suitably qualified people and are now in the process of going into receivership. I drive past there everyday, and what used to be a busy warehouse with a constant stream of delivery trucks and the staff carpark absolutely chockers, is now down to 2 staff members cars and all the doors closed - so it can't be good.

I don't like the fact that they are going out of business. But it seems his actions played a major role in what has happened. As after I left - he also fired a woman that had been there for over 10 years for getting pregnant - I believe he has been taken to court by her, and she won. I think after that people started to fear for their jobs, if their life situation ever changed, so they started to look elsewhere.

Anyway, I now have a great job, and my new boss, spent most of her life bedridden due to a terrible disease, and has taken a keen interest in POTS, and comes to all my hospital appointments for support. I am truly thrilled that I left my old job.

Unfortunately I have had to be on both sides of work comp issue as an employer and employee. The ins just loves that!Ha! You definitly need to get this documented!!! Work Comp lawyers are snakes and it is an ugly issue. Watch your back because if you don't , i guarentee they won't. What they are doing is blatently illeggal in MO but all states are different. By fed law they are still in violation. document, document, document!!:-)

Lisa,

I have read this post several times and each time I read it I get more upset. Your employer is just out right WRONG! Good for you for standing your ground and documenting. You should not have to work in that type of environment. Shame, shame, shame on your employer. Hang in there-

Carmen

I too have run into this and find it truely amazing what employers are capable of. I too think they may be looking for a reason to fire you. They will come up with something totally legal I am sure in the wording of that though. They are good at finding excuses that work in their favor even if they are lies.

The trouble with business is that they are all about money now, now, now. They forget that by being kind and gentle with an employee who needs it they can create a loyalty that will serve them so much better.