Oral contraception - full time for POTS?

Suzanne

Is anyone taking oral contraception to help with POTS? I have found it very beneficial, it helps with the mood swings during my cycles. I am considering taking it without a break as I am virtually non-functioning the whole time of my menstrual cycle. I am so light headed and weak that I am not able to go out and only do basics at home. I am not sure if there any problems with this, but have read somewhere that it is helpful. Would appreciate any info or feedback.

good idea in theory, and when i did it at 16, i stopped fainting altogether for 3 years. but be careful because taking it with no break for too long will do funny things to you. I bled non stop for 120 days!!!

I don't think you can do it for very long.

I am now currently trying to take 2 packs back to back so I can half the number of periods I have and see if it helps things. Maybe you could try that, too, and then build up to 3 months or more without a break for a period?

Hi my doc wants me on birth control for the painful cysts I get, but it makes me feel real nauseas. She has had me try a few different types but the nausea doesn't seem to go away. I see her in a few days, so I'll see what happens.

I take the pill continuously without breaks.

You certainly have to weigh the cost/benefits.

Some doctors are very willing to do this and others are not...it really depends.

I love doing it this way...it has been wonderful and has worked for me.

Ideally, most doctors want you to have at least four periods a year--or at least that is the sense I get.

You can use something like Seasonelle, or just do it with any pill and skip the placebos for that month.

This is certainly a decision that you need to talk over with your doc though...but it sounds like for you it might be a good choice?

If you do a search on this topic here you will find a LOT of discussion!!!!! :)

Emily

Guest CyberPixie

I was on cilest for ages, was wonderful, my general health was so much better. It increases your blood volume (and also cortisol levels slightly which helps if you have dodgy adrenals). I didnt need to take it back to nack as it made my periods pain free and I didnt suffer every month. However, they took me off it a year ago because of being less mobile. Really dissapointed!

I do pretty well on the pill... my Hopkins doc put me on the pill many years ago (I was about 16?) because my periods were extremely heavy and I was severely anemic during those times.. basically my periods alone would make me feel awful for 3 weeks out of every month!! So something had to be done about that.

For about 8 years I have taken the pill (was on desogen most of the time) continuously for 8 or 9 weeks at a time (my doctor wanted me to go for 12 weeks, but my body refuses to wait).

now i'm on the patch and it's super for me. :(

oh- forgot to mention- my doctors main reason for putting me on BC was to raise my blood volume. he knew about the blood volume problem in NMH patients and did everything to try to boost mine. it worked and helped with my fainting problems a little bit.

Thanks for all your feedback. I am going to give it a try and will discuss with my doctor when I next go. It seems everyone is different. I have to laugh about taking contraception because my husband finally had a vasectomy last year! lol :(