For those who have given birth....

bamagirl

Guest Belinda

Thier is some kind of autonomic response having to do with vagal nerve and sensories. When i recently when in for my procedure the anesthiologist said to make sure I was extra numb down thier(cervix) because it can cause major reflexes elsewhere in throat and chest/esophagus.

And this is probrably why I didn't miscarry on my own even though i had something really wrong and my body knew it.

bamagirl,

This is an interesting topic. I was not diagnosed until after I had given birth 3 times. However, I have had symptoms since I was a child.

I did have a failure to dilate with my deliveries. My first child, I was in heavy labor 36 hrs, never dialated past 2 cm, they tried everything to no avail and my daughter became distressed, so they did an emergency c-section. (18 yrs ago).

With my next 2 children, I had a failure to dilate, but they had better success with medications to induce, and a gel to force my cervix to dilate. So, I delivered them vaginally. (10 & 12 yrs ago)

I wonder if it did have anything to do with this condition?

Renee

Interesting question. I don't know what the statistic is for "failure to progress" in the general population. I know quite a few women without POTS who had c-sections b/c of this. Some of this may have to do with the promtness with which c-sections are performed these days b/c of fear of litigation, etc., rather than an actual medical problem.

In my case, I have no idea to what extent I dilated. I was 2 cm for two weeks and then was induced after my due date. After 3 hours of labor I had abruption and had to have an emergency c-section.

Katherine

I too had problems dialating even though with my son my wter broke first after 6 hours I still was not dialating. The used some gell stuff and heavy pitocin. 10 years lateer with my daughter they scheduled my induction for bleeding issues and I had to be gelled, pitocin, mor pitocin, water broke for me and once again it took me over 28 hours. Who knows? But it does sound as if our bodies automatic birth giving response is screwed up right along with the rest of the,. And controlled breathing really made me light headed.

I was in labor for 32 hours. For 18 hours I was 'stuck' at contractions every 3 minutes but very little dialating. At the 18 hour mark they admitted me, due to my own daress and that they could 'stretch' me to enough dialation to admit me. Then I had an epidural and was supposed to "sleep" for a few hours...I just shook for a few hours. The doc broke my water...The baby was not coming down the birth canal and I was not dialating enough...I had back labor the whole darn time YUCK!!!!! Then my daughters heart started getting weaker and I started running a temperature and other things...So at the 32 hour mark I had a c-section, during which the adrenalin rush kicked in and I shook violently and the anestesiologist had to keep reminding me to breath. (He sat right next to my head saying "Breath" periodically. The whole time I had a saline and glucose IV...I told them I fainted easily and they gave me these...good thing.

Edited by hmichel

Hi

At least four of my five kids were born after my POTS symptoms. I had premature contractions with all of them with no known cause. Two deliveries were near c-sections but in the end normal deliveries, but unlikely POTS had anything to do with that. In retrospect my premature labor probably has something to do with my mysthenia gravis which was recently diagnosed, but in retrospect was probably in my body for quite some time. A couple of deliveries were induced a little early because I was unusually weak. I was tachy and weak and short of breath though during and after labor and needed oxygen, and showed an arrhythmia on an ecg in the delivery room that has not shown up again.

I had to be induced for all three of my deliveries. I always thought it was a low level of oxytocin, a hormone that brings on labour. The induction was through a drip and brought on labour very fast and hard. Luckily I had them all after 4 hours, but needed saline drip afterwards on the last one. It made a huge difference to my recovery. I fainted after the first and broke my nose! I was undiagnosed throughout, but can see now how the birth severely affected me and maybe was the trigger?