DYSAUTONOMIA/GASTRIC BYPASS SURGERY

LYNDA66

HI MY NAME IS LYNDA AND I AM FROM THE CLEVELAND OHIO AREA. I AM NEW TO THIS NETWORK AND I AM STILL IN THE WORKS OF BEING DIAGNOSED. ALL THE DOCS THAT I HAVE SEEN SAY I AM VERY COMPLICATED.

IN 2003 I HAD GASTRIC BYPASS SURGERY. I WAS TYPE 2 DIABETIC. I LOST ALL MY WEIGHT AND FELT REALLY GOOD FOR ONE YEAR. THEN MY HEART RATE AND BP WENT VERY LOW, I GOT A BLOCKAGE IN MY INTESTINES AND I WAS PASSING OUT ALL THE TIME. MY GLUCOSE READINGS WENT THROUGH THE ROOF AND EVERYTHING SEEMED TO GO DOWN HILL FROM THERE. I HAVE DYSAUTONOMIA WHAT KIND THEY ARE STILL TRYING TO FIGURE OUT. I HAVE A LOT OF TINGLING NUMBNESS LIGHTHEADEDNESS LOW BP AND HEART RATE. I CAN'T FUNCTION, MY BRAIN FEELS LIKE MUSH. LOUD NOISES AND A LOT OF STIMULI SEEM TO MAKE THINGS WORSE. IN CASES WHERE IT IS "FRIGHT VS FLIGHT" I DON'T GET HIGHER IN BP AND HEART RATE MINE GOES REALLY LOW AND I PASS OUT. SOME DOCS FEEL THAT THE SURGERY MIGHT HAVE CAUSED IT BUT A LOT OF DOCS SAID THAT MY WEIGHT MASKED THE DYSAUTONOMIA. MY QUESTION IS- IS ANY ONE IN A SIMILAR BOAT AS I AM?

sorry i just learned that all caps is yelling. i am not here.

Edited by LYNDA

Welcome, Lynda. Unfortunately, many of us on the board are "complicated cases". However, in most cases regardless how bizarre something is you will probably find someone here that has had a simiiar experience. I hope you can get some answers and support here.

I'm not sure what issue the weight loss would play. Diabetes and dysautonomia often go hand in hand. In fact, many doctors are only aware of dysautonomia because of the diabetic population. The sxs you describe sound typical of dysautonomia. It can be hard and frustrating to try a pinpoint exactly what type of dysautonomia one has and which treatments work best. One good thing is a lot of dysautonomias are treated the same medically. Meaning, high salt diet with lots of fluids is a standard protocol for most dysautonomias.

Although we all want to know exactly what is going on in our bodies- sometimes, we have to resolve our selves to just treating the sxs. Symptom management. I really hate those words but unfortunately, sometimes its our best bet.

Welcome to the forum- I hope this helps a little. Take care.

Carmen