Wish I could shake this headache

MightyMouse

Guest Mary from OH

Nina-

I got on to check on you. So sorry your migraine hasn't broken yet. Been battling some fierce ones too! This lovely weather!!!! GRRRRRR !!!!

Interesting about the Psych eval..... Don't forget to deduct it as a tax deduction!! (medical expense)

Good luck to you and keep us informed!!

(gentle hugs)

Thanks for your kindness. I'm hanging on... and yes, kind of interesting that they want me to see a psychologist, but I'm pretty certain they are probably looking to do a good differential diagnosis of headaches that might be associated with depression, anxiety, etc... I'm not afraid to be evaluated as I know I'm not depressed...just exhausted from the pain, which I think is a normal response.

I'm trying Zomig right now, the 5mg nasal spray. My neuro gave it to me last month to try if the other less-strong stuff didn't cut it. Took it about a half hour ago and am having the typical nasty side effects of chest heaviness, jaw tightness and feeling woozy and tired. I've mentioned before that I joke that the triptans may not take away your headache, but sure will make you feel a little better that you've lived through the experience!

The midrin (Isometheptene Mucate USP, 65 mg.; Dichioraiphenazone USP, 100 mg.; and Acetaminophen USP, 325 mg) I started taking last week didn't do a darned thing, so I gave up on that. I've since tried:

coffee/tea (helped a little)

tramadol (helped a little),

oxycontin (helped a little),

otc naproxen aka Aleve (did nothing)

prescription strength naproxen (nothing again),

flexeril (helped with muscle pain, but did nothing for my head),

and ice on my head and neck (helped a little, especially when trying to fall asleep despite the pain)

All I have left to try at home is migranal (nasal DHE)...which doesn't usually stop a migraine for me, only takes it down a few notches.

Guest Mary from OH

Nina,

I don't remember if I suggested to you or not, but try to take your Triptan and your Aleve TOGETHER. They will help each other work better. Soon Imitrex will come out with a new formulation with either Aleve or Motrin already in it.

Also, with the Psych. I think part of it may be the depression and anxiety angle, but also the propensity for addictions!! The old CYA routine. They need to see if their patients are drug seekers or not!! Sad, maybe. Also, there are more people now (like me) with intractable migraines who NEED strong, daily narcotics and drs need a way to ensure that they are not people that are likely to become addicted to meds. A psych is "one way" of doing that .

I'm still hurting tonight. I think you said that ice helps you. There is a cool device that comes out of the UK. It's called MigraCap. It's around $73, including shipping. Pretty pricy, but very durable. It's made of neoprene and has little ice bags all around it and you pull it onto your head. you can even cover your eyes. It's wonderful!! I have one! I love it! I wish I had enough money to buy 2!! One to keep in the freezer, and one to keep on my head!! Here is how to order if you're interested:

http://www.migracap.com/about.html

Take care and good luck again!!

That cap looks pretty nifty--certainly more sturdy than my ice pack wrapped in a dishtowel, and secured to my head with an ace bandage! :rolleyes: Shifts around a lot while I'm sleeping. I'm pretty crafty, so I might try to make myself a cap contraption when I'm feeling a bit better. We have a fabric and craft store nearby and I'm sure I can get some decent stretchy fabric --and maybe I can break my sewing machine out of hiding-- been so long, I hope I remember how to get it threaded right!

As for the Zomig, I took the aleve today within a few hours of the Zomig dose, so I should have gotten the benefit.

Yeah, I understand the CYA thing with drug seeker and addicts. I was planning on actually brining my Rx bottles with me so I can show that I'm not over-using the narcotics. My pain doc wrote for a 90 day supply, which if I were taking every day, I'd be out in two weeks...but I have at least a month's supply left. Also the flexeril Rx was written for 30 pills and I filled it almost a year ago. I hate taking either one because they both completely stop my gi system, and there's no amount of glycolax to get it moving until the stuff clears my system.

Okay, I'm going to stop my whining and moaning. I really love that you all are here, and the supportiveness of being able to just vent to my friends when I need to... here's to me having some good news to share soon! Heck, good news is nice even if it's not mine...which reminds me that we're still working on getting the new section of the forum together. Soon! Hey, there's some good news already! That didn't take long ;)

Nina

Guest Mary from OH

Nina,

You have to take the triptan and the Aleve/Motrin at the SAME time to help them work together, don't know why.

Kind of like when you go to ER for a migraine and they give you IV demerol, benedryl, whatever. I've found if they give me a cocktail of ALL FOUR: demerol, benedryl, phenergan, and torodol at the SAME time; it will kick my migraine's butt!! However, if I have those same drug's over the course of the evening/afternoon I am there, it doesn't have the same effect. I ran across this "amazing" discovery through one of my many visits to ER. One dr actually proclaimed to have a migraine cocktail that would work, and he was RIGHT!!! I kissed him!!! (seriously, I did, later, before leaving!!)

{on the cheek of course for any of you whose minds were wandering!!!!}

I wish I had a doctor that was kiss worthy!! well, at least for headaches :)

The Zomig didn't work. Bummer. :( Now all I have left is one dose of DHE... or the ER. If I can get through to my neuro tomorow, I'll try that. Meanwhile, no changes here.