Provigil

Meghan

Boy, I just don't know. I'm reluctant to take it I think:

In addition to its wakefulness-promoting effects and increased locomotor activity in animals, in humans, PROVIGIL produces psychoactive  and euphoric effects, alterations in mood, perception, and thinking, and feelings typical of other CNS  stimulants. Modafinil is reinforcing, as evidenced by its self-administration in monkeys previously trained to self  administer cocaine; modafinil was also partially discriminated as stimulant-like.

Hrm...

DRUG ABUSE AND DEPENDENCE

Controlled Substance Class

Modafinil (PROVIGIL) is listed in Schedule IV of the Controlled Substances Act.

Abuse Potential and Dependence

In addition to its wakefulness-promoting effects and increased locomotor activity in animals, in humans, PROVIGIL produces psychoactive and euphoric effects, alterations in mood, perception, thinking and feelings typical of other CNS stimulants. In in vitro binding studies, modafinil binds to the dopamine reuptake site, and causes an increase in extracellular dopamine, but no increase in dopamine release. Modafinil is reinforcing, as evidenced by its self-administration in monkeys previously trained to self-administer cocaine. In some studies, Modafinil was also partially discriminated as stimulant-like. Physicians should follow patients closely, especially those with a history of drug and/or stimulant (e.g., methylphenidate, amphetamine, or cocaine) abuse. Patients should be observed for signs of misuse or abuse (e.g., incrementation of doses or drug-seeking behavior).

The abuse potential of modafinil (200, 400, and 800 mg) was assessed relative to methylphenidate (45 and 90 mg) in an inpatient study in individuals experienced with drugs of abuse. Results from this clincal study demonstrated that modafinil produced psychoactive and euphoric effects and feelings consistent with other scheduled CNS stimulants (methylphenidate).

If you feel the need to escalate your dose, it may NOT be because your condition is getting worse. At least that's my take on it.

Hi:

I have been taking provigil for almost a year now for the fatigue related symptoms of POTS. It works very well. I started on 100 mg and now I have bumped up to 150 due to a worsening of my condition in general.

Provigil is a narcelepsy drug, but it also helps with fatigue. It stays in your body for 6-8 hours so I should not disturb sleep at night. I take it once a day in the morning.

Warning....it is VERY expensive, and I have had a really hard time getting my insurance company to cover it. However, it is worth every penny if you have debilitating fatigue.

I can especially vouch for it's effectiveness based on the couple of times I have missed a dose due to pharmacy slowdowns in refilling. On those occasions of missing a dose I was an absolute mess. I cannot function without it.

It DOES help brain fog as well. I still have brain fog to some degree, but when I am not on the drug I can barely put two words together.

I HIGHLY recommend it.

Good luck.

Kristen

Hi:

You bring up an interesting point. I have asked Dr. Grubb about this. It is a tough call. But when I think about the condition I would be in if I didn't have the provigil to literally keep my body going, I know I would rather be on it.

I really think it should be considered only if there is a real necessity for it. I had gotten to the point where I could not function. My body would not go on it's own. It was absolutely horrible.

Fainting and near-fainting were too common for me. My bp was constantly hovering at around 80/40. I was barely conscious all the time....unfortunately, on the provigil I still get periods of that type of thing. But for me, it has certainly improved my quality of life. I actually HAVE a life....at least to some degree now.

Good luck!

Kristen

Boy, I just don't know. I'm reluctant to take it I think:
In addition to its wakefulness-promoting effects and increased locomotor activity in animals, in humans, PROVIGIL produces psychoactive? and euphoric effects, alterations in mood, perception, and thinking, and feelings typical of other CNS? stimulants. Modafinil is reinforcing, as evidenced by its self-administration in monkeys previously trained to self? administer cocaine; modafinil was also partially discriminated as stimulant-like.

Hrm...

DRUG ABUSE AND DEPENDENCE

Controlled Substance Class

Modafinil (PROVIGIL) is listed in Schedule IV of the Controlled Substances Act.

Abuse Potential and Dependence

In addition to its wakefulness-promoting effects and increased locomotor activity in animals, in humans, PROVIGIL produces psychoactive and euphoric effects, alterations in mood, perception, thinking and feelings typical of other CNS stimulants. In in vitro binding studies, modafinil binds to the dopamine reuptake site, and causes an increase in extracellular dopamine, but no increase in dopamine release. Modafinil is reinforcing, as evidenced by its self-administration in monkeys previously trained to self-administer cocaine. In some studies, Modafinil was also partially discriminated as stimulant-like. Physicians should follow patients closely, especially those with a history of drug and/or stimulant (e.g., methylphenidate, amphetamine, or cocaine) abuse. Patients should be observed for signs of misuse or abuse (e.g., incrementation of doses or drug-seeking behavior).

The abuse potential of modafinil (200, 400, and 800 mg) was assessed relative to methylphenidate (45 and 90 mg) in an inpatient study in individuals experienced with drugs of abuse. Results from this clincal study demonstrated that modafinil produced psychoactive and euphoric effects and feelings consistent with other scheduled CNS stimulants (methylphenidate).

If you feel the need to escalate your dose, it may NOT be because your condition is getting worse. At least that's my take on it.

My doctor wanted me to try this drug several years ago to see if it would help with fatigue. When I spoke with my pharmacist about any concerns he and I reviewed the drug sheet together and found that it said a person with MVP should NOT take. Since I have MVP I did not try it. I am glad it is working for several of you.

the thing is...all drugs that we take are risky in some way.

it is a hard call, but when your quality of life is low, sometimes you have to take the chance. so many of the drugs we take for POTS are off-label uses...beta-blockers, epogen, anti-depressants, stimulants, etc.

i take dexedrine...which is like speed! i am well-monitored by my doctor and he knows what he is doing. i am willing to take it b/c i want to have some symptom relief.

this is always a hard and difficult call to make...

also, i tried provigil and could never tolerate more than 50 mg which didn't help me at all. at 200 mg i had anxiety and depression...not good!

sorry if i sound harsh...not the intention. always make the best, most well-informed decision for YOU...not what the rest of us think! and, i don't mean to sound flippant...i don't just take any drug and not think about it! i've had my share of failures and horrible reactions.

so that's my two cents!

emily

Hi Emily:

Thanks for your thoughtful remarks...I completely agree with you. It's tough to decide to take any drug...they all have their downsides.

Each of us needs to do what is right for ourselves, our bodies, and our quality of life.

Thanks for the affirmation. I take provigil, and it has given me somewhat of a life back....and for that I am extremely grateful.

My doctor (Dr. Grubb) is also very aware of the drugs I am taking and I trust him completely. He (and I) know the risks. However, sometimes you just have to take a chance...especially if you are desperate enough for relief!

Thanks!

Kristen

the thing is...all drugs that we take are risky in some way.

it is a hard call, but when your quality of life is low, sometimes you have to take the chance. so many of the drugs we take for POTS are off-label uses...beta-blockers, epogen, anti-depressants, stimulants, etc.

i take dexedrine...which is like speed! i am well-monitored by my doctor and he knows what he is doing. i am willing to take it b/c i want to have some symptom relief.

this is always a hard and difficult call to make...

also, i tried provigil and could never tolerate more than 50 mg which didn't help me at all.  at 200 mg i had anxiety and depression...not good!

sorry if i sound harsh...not the intention. always make the best, most well-informed decision for YOU...not what the rest of us think!  and, i don't mean to sound flippant...i don't just take any drug and not think about it! i've had my share of failures and horrible reactions.

so that's my two cents!

emily

kristen...

thanks for your affirmation back my way!

it is great that provigil has given you some quality of life back. then, i think it is worth it...:)

funny, b/c just today in the paper they had an article about the dangers of strattera and celexa...but you also have to consider the amount you are taking, your quality of life, etc...we can only make decisions based on what is out there NOW...not wait for that 'miracle pill' that will help POTS. so, right now, we do have to take some risks. and i am not a risk-oriented person! i read all of those nasty, scary side effects too. but i am also not going to not try stuff b/c i want to feel a little (okay, a lot) better.

okay, rambling...

oh, and kristen...i don't think i ever got the chance to officially welcome you here! so, welcome! it must be hard to play the viola and hold your arms up like that with ANS problems! let's just say, i don't think i have the wind power to play that 'ol saxophone of mine anymore (even though i am full of hot air! :) he-he). but, i still can't part with it emotionally.

emily