Florinef

Jacquie802

Hi, my doctor and I have decided to give Florinef another try. However, I decided to read on the side effects(not a good idea) and I am terrified to take it. What side effects have people experienced here? I did do a search on it and didn't find too much as in terms of side effects. It took months for me to even take the Toprol I am on. I want to feel better, but not at the expense of having problems due to side effects :( .

Also, does anyone know how long it takes to get the full effect of the Florinef?

Jacquie

The only side effect I had was headaches at first, they went away after a couple of days. I can't go up much at once or headaches. The more I increase, the worse the headaches. Sorry, I don't know how long it can take for the effects, it would seem it would take at least a few days because of what it does, but I'm no expert. :( Hope this helps!

Guest CyberPixie

You;ll feel some effect from it straightaway but it can take up to 2-3mths to really get going. I havent had any side effects apart from bloating if I take too much.

Florinef's purpose is to increase your blood volume. It does this by making your kidneys retain salt (at the expense of losing potassium and magnesium). My doctor (a nephrologist) measured my blood volume before he prescribed Florinef. Also, he told me in no uncertain terms that the Florinef he was prescribing for me would do no good unless I also ate lots of salt while I was taking it. I also took magnesium supplements and ate lots of potassium.

I had no noticeable side effects from taking Florinef. It seemed to do me good. I was weaned off it after I started feeling much better when I started with the thiamine supplements.

I have been on florinef for over a decade and it works very well for me. It's absolutely imperative that you take potassium supplements along with florinef, though.

Now I am only on .05 mg every day, and I still have to take 40 MEQ of potassium (Klor-con) every day and eat lots of bananas, potatoes, tomatoes, etc... to keep my K from dropping too low (although over the years I have learned to feel it, my heart can actually feel when I am low on K and I go into the ER for a drip).

Haven't had any bad side effects, though... florinef is good for me. I take it along with a beta blocker, atenolol.

My daughter has no side effects on .1 Florinef 1xday. She's never had to take potassium either, but eats lots of spuds and bananas. Don't take pot. supplements without talking to your doctor....too much can be toxic. If you're on a low dose of Florinef, you may have no problems at all. As someone else said, and I reiterate, drink, drink, drink and eat salty stuff. Pass the pickles!!

Hi and thank you everyone for replying to my post. Once I get over this cold I am going to start the Florinef. I am supposed to take .1MG once a day, in the morning.

I am also wondering if it has to be discontinued if you get a cold, etc. or not!? Anything else you'd like to add, feel welcome. Thanks again!

Jacquie

Hi and thank you everyone for replying to my post. Once I get over this cold I am going to start the Florinef. I am supposed to take .1MG once a day, in the morning.

I am also wondering if it has to be discontinued if you get a cold, etc. or not!? Anything else you'd like to add, feel welcome. Thanks again!

Jacquie

Does florinef need to be taken in the morning or does it matter. Does it cause sleeplessness at night or does anybody split doses?

Hi, I felt soo aweful today that I started the Florinef. It's weird because I got this huge headache a few hours after. The thing is that I have been getting headaches alot lately, so is there any way to tell if it is just one of the plain old headaches I have been getting lately or is it the headache today related to the Florinef ( I had to stop Florinef before due to massive headaches)?

Also, if anyone out there got headaches due to the Florinef how long did they take the Florinef while getting the headaches? I know I am prob. getting used to the med, but I am just wondering how long until I should quit waiting the headaches out. Thanks for any advice, I appreciate it!

Jacquie

DON'T START AND STOP TAKING FLORINEF!! When my daughter needed to be taken off of it for some tests last summer, her doctor weaned her very, very slowly. I think she was weaned off her .1/day over a 3-week period!!!! Your body needs to kick back in and do what the florinef has been doing. It takes time. Even at a low dose, you don't want to stop suddenly. Please talk to your doctor about it. Good luck with the med. I think it's been a great help. Another reminder when taking it....drink, drink, drink and eat plenty of salt.

I was on Florinef for a while, but due to the boalting I the doctors stopped. THey are going to start it again, but this time a smaller amount. You should talk to your doctor and let them know why you are worried, and maybe they can help! Good luck!

Amy

Hi, I have been on the Florinef for a few days and have the headaches. I called the pharmacy I go to and the pharmacist said it would be okay to take Tylenol for the headaches, but said if they last longer than 10 days to go see my doc.

My docs I am surprised don't get aggravated with me. I know most side effects to any of the drugs they try to put me on. Geesh I should look into being a pharmacist, LOL. It took months for me to take Toprol to control my arrhythmia and weeks to get me to consider taking the Florinef again. It's not that I don't trust my doctors, it's just that I read and read all the side effects. Don'tget me wrong it is good to look into the meds, but I go waaaay beyond that. I admit I have a problem,lol. :)

I get so excited about starting a new med and then get REALLY dissapointed when I get all the side effects.

I don't know if this is bad but I no longer read the side effects until I'm okay on the med. Obviously if I have a bad reaction I read them right away. I just don't want to worry about the effects if the meds could give me a better quality of life.

I tried florienf for two days and the first pill made me dry heave and the next morning I started throwing up. I don't know why I reacted that way and am very dissappointed that it didn't work.

I'm going to give it another shot in a few days to see if it was the medication or if I cought some bug.

Good luck to you. I think it takes alot of trials and errors to find the right drug for each person.

I think my doctor thinks I'm overreacting but I'm completely willing to try anything and I can't help that I don't tolerate most things. Like I said I get really excited in hoping something will help so she should see that as a sign that I'm not over exaggerating.

Keep keeping on and good luck....let us know if this med helps.

Dayna

jacquie -

it's often hard to figure out if a symptom is b/c of a new med or just a normal thing going on in our wacky bodies. though since you mentioned that you've been having headaches a lot more anyway i tend to think the latter. obviously JUST a guess though with no real meaning. and it's of course possible that florinef is making it worse though.

florinef needs to build up in your system though to really feel the effects (not necessarily side effects, but benefits). most docs i've heard from or talked with (at least 8 or 9 over the years) say a min. of 2 weeks but usually at least a month.

personally i never had any problems with taking florinef aside from atrocious potassium issues.

re: having to stop when you're ill, i've NEVER heard of this in regard to florinef and knowing the mechanism of the med can't imagine why it would be the case.

re: starting/stopping different docs feel differently about this depending on the dose & whatnot....i've heard various things from docs who use florinef regularly with patients.

hope you're feeling better soon,

:) melissa

p.s. dayna - i think not reading the side effects is okay as long you are confident in the doc prescribing for you. i.e. my urologist - despite my asking him DIRECTLY about potential side effects/interactions, specifically BP issues - tried to start me on a med that then had in bold across the top "may cause dizziness and orthostatic hypotension". i called my autonomic docs - neuro & cardio - both who told me i should never have been given the med to begin with. my PCP couldn't believe it either. on the other hand i'd trust my neuro or cardio without reading up tons on my own (although i still tend to do so as it doesn't bother me). or maybe the moral there is to just read the bold print and ignore the tiny stuff B)

Hi Everyone, Thank you all for the replies. I read on the Florinef print out from the pharmacy to stay away from sick ppl when you are on it (not the exact wording, LOL), but in the winter it's impossible, so I wasn't sure if you would get worse and not be able to fight the infection if you were on Florinef. I don't think I am on a large enough dose to be too horribly affected ( prob. just jinxed myself!), but was just curious.

Anyhow, I appreciate everyone taking the time to reply B) . Like always if there is anything you would like to add feel free!

Jacquie

Guest CyberPixie

I've been on florinef for 4mths at 2 1/2 tablets, just reduced to 1 1/2. I've had 2 colds/viruses recently. Hasnt been a problem. Just be more aware of any infection signs when you do have a virus and see your Dr.

I am having problems taking florinef. My body doesnt like it. Even with the extra salt and water, I still have horrible problems. I am now on a potassium supplement also, When my b/p starts to get close to normal, then I start having problems with my body going haywire. Dont want to scare you, my body is just wierd.

Vanessa

When I first started florinef I had horrible headaches, but I have been taken off of it and put back on it so much that it is unreal. Right now I am taking half of a .1 mg a day, but I know when I up the meds my headache will be back. I have slight headaches without it, but with it the headaches are horrible. Vanessa

I have been on Florinef for a few days and I have noticed that my headaches are beginning to be less and less severe. I wonder if the Toprol has anything to do with it though, because sometimes Toprol is prescribed for headaches. I saw that on the pharmacy leaflet that comes with the meds, listing side effects, uses, etc. Thought that was interesting!

Jacquie