Update on my brother ------

Guest Julia59

Guest Julia59

I received a call today from my Dad regarding my brother Joe.

The cancer did spread to lymphnodes in the colon, and it also went through to the other side of the colon.

He will need to have chemo therapy and radiation therapy. He is scared---and so is his family.

Another sad thing is that his employer will not pay him for any of the time off. Not one person he works with---sent him a card---get well wish---nothing. He works his you know what off for that company and was always there-------he's the best welder there, and is charge of the other welders.

The good news is that they still don't think the cancer has spread to the other organs, but they are still concerned about other lymphnodes due to the fact that the cancer has reached the other side of his colon------and small cells may not be visible and could spread. This is why they are going to do the chemo---and the radiation will target the area where the tumor was removed.

Other good news----my sister in law is a teacher's aid and works for a school near her home. She works for the Toledo public schools---and they still have her income. But it's going to be tough as they rely on both incomes to make ends meet. The employees at the school she works for offered to make a meal once a week-----each of them taking turns. They are very supportive and understanding of her needing some time off. All of us in our family will do what we can to help out also----every little bit helps.

Joe is still in the hospital---and they won't release him until his bowels are working---i'll spare you the details---I think you all know what needs to be done before he can be released to go home. He's eating well and keeping it down fine----so all we can do it wait...........

Can you please continue to keep him and his family in your thoughts and prayers.

Thanks so much.

Julie :0)

Julie,

I'm sorry to hear about your brother. I'ts awful that his employer and co-workers are so uncaring but it's great that they are getting support from his wifes school is steping up to the plate to help. I'll keep him in my prayers and hope everything works out and that he'll be allowed to to home soon.

Denise

Hi Julie,

I'm sorry that the cancer spread in your brother. Hopefully it didn't spread beyond the lymphnodes in his colon and his colon. When I was out of work June this year I never once received a card or anything, and the day I returned to work I was fired. So go figure. I have found that there are alot of caring ppl in the world, but then again there are alot of uncaring ppl as well. I'm glad that his wife's school is helping out with the meals, etc. Even the smallest things are a big help during times like these.

I am going to continue to keep your brother and his family in my prayers. Take care, and I wish your and your family the best of luck.

Jacquie

Julia,

I will keep your brother and his family in my thoughts. As you know, I just finished chemo therapy and will have radiation once I get my pacemaker moved. I can tell you that it is extremely important that you and your family keep a cheerful face and optimistic outlook with your brother. He needs your strong support.

It is a really scary thing to get chemo. Generally, when you take medicine, it is to help you. Chemo is basically poison and affects everything--blood counts, nausea, hair loss, fatigue, etc. It is important that your brother tell the nurse administering the infusion whether the nausea medication is working. There are many kinds of anti-nausea drugs to combat chemo-induced nausea.

Also, I have found that once people knew that I had cancer there was difficulty in continuing their friendship. It is like they are scared of "catching" cancer or else recognize their own mortality.

Send my support to your brother and tell him to "Be Strong"!

Lois

Guest Mary from OH

I'm so sorry to hear of your brother's news. I pray the cancer is no further spread. It sounds like they have an aggressive plan to take care of things. I would love to send him a card. My email is mtmallen@wideopenwest.com if that is ok. Bowels are slow to recover after surgery, especially invasive ones. Healing will take time. If you don't mind my asking, how much of his intestines did they end up having to remove?

On the job front. How many employees work at his job? Is it a small place? If it isn't under (I forget the number, 20, 30 or 40 - my husband knows). He may have rights. My husband may be able to help. Let me know and I will talk to my husband. Minimumly, he can use all his sick time, vacation time etc. for paid time. Is the problem that the company doesn't have long-term or short-term disability?

Give your brother and sister-in-law a BIG HUG from me!! And let them know I'm praying for them!!

Edited by Mary from OH

Guest Julia59

Thanks so much----your support and prayers are really appreciated.

Mary, Joe's employer has around 100 employees. It's a tool and die shop.

It was so nice of you to offer you husbands help if he's able. My brother has only been with this employer for just under a year. It will be a year in April. It's the first job that has ever paid him what he's worth.

He has gone to school for two years---and is a certified welder. He's good at what he does---and in addition he has multiple skills. He often would help folks who didn't have a lot of money with plumbing---car repairs ect.

Fortunately his friends have either called or gone up to the hospital to see him. One of the guy's who played in one of the bands Joe has played in brought Joe a card with a vase of flowers on it. He told Joe the card selection was limited and they both had a good laugh together......... Joe's wife Debbie thought it was so thoughtful that he came to see Joe---and she thought the card was beautiful.

Thanks again...........

Julie:

Sorry to hear that your brother does in fact have colorectal cancer. Fortunately, the prognosis for that is considerably more hopeful than it was even a few years ago. Plus, I checked on www.clinicaltrials.gov and found that there are about 50 studies trying to recruit people with colorectal cancer. He might want to participate in something like that. It's probably the best way to make sure that he is getting the latest in treatment.

Incidentally, colorectal cancer tends to run in families. Some doctors recommend that blood relatives of people with colorectal cancer should have their first colonoscopy at an age 10 years younger than their relative's diagnosis.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnew...9&nfid=rssfeeds

Guest Julia59

Thanks lthomas,

About 5 years ago a gastroenterologist--(spelling?) wanted to do a colonoscopy. I was having abdominal pain, and this is one of the tests they ordered. I had an endoscopy in early 2001--in fact is was Feb 5th. I'll never forget it. I wasn't diagnosed with POTS yet--or any of my other upper spine copression/brain stem compression. The drug they gave me during the procedure was versed------------it was horrible. I am extremely drug sensitive.

Anyway by the time I was diagnosed with POTS I was told by a ANS Doc to avoid the colonoscopy for now if I wasn't bleeding or having current problems with abdominal pain. Most of the docs told me it was IBS---but the gastro doctor told me it wouldn't hurt to have a colonoscopy done. My mother has polyps, my dad has torqued bowel and can no longer have colonoscopies. He has diverticulitis---and has to watch it carefully as it has recently flared up pretty bad.

I have diverticulitis in the small bowel near the jejunum---it's about the size of a quarter. This has to be watched, but the problem is that my POTs is flaring up badly---tremors, hyper/adrengic----and terrible weaknes and fatigue---more then my usual. And the myelopathy is getting increasingly worse---and one NSG wants to do a full laminectomy/fusion from C3 to C7---but I also have cranila/cervical instability and I fear that would just get worse, so surgery is on hold until I can figure out what to do. Another NSG in NY feels I need a cervical/cranial fusion---possible decompression of the posterior fossa.

The diverticulitis has acted up very recently---can you believe from a bowel of vegetable soup. It had a LOT of corn---and I had trouble avoiding it. It felt like I was trying to pass a tennis ball through my small intestine on the right middle part of my abdomin. I almost went to ER---the pain was almost as bad as the labor pains I had with my son. It passed---it seems when I went to the bathroom. But then the left lower quadrent had a razor cutting type pain and it hurt to move---that also passed, but still comes to a lesser degree. So a colonoscopy was a thought in my mind before my brother had his.

He had his because he went to ER with pancreatitis and was admitted. The C-scan showed a thickening in his colon---so they did the colonoscopy. Had he not had the pancreatitis---who knows what would have happened. He does have a cyst on the pancreas---but the surgeon said it was not related.

I have terrible fear of testing lately---and i'm working through it with my psychologist. Most of my fear is with drugs being injected. Otherwise---pain---needles---not a terribly big deal. Sure I don't like it---but I have no real fear of it. My other brother had a terrible time with the colonoscopy---and a terrible reaction to whatever drug they used in his IV.

Sorry so long---I have known that at some point i'll need a colonoscopy---probably past due. My brother did not have any other symptoms other then the pancreatitis---no bleeding, pain or unusual stools. Pretty scarey---as we can't always go by those particular symptoms. Otherwise there is not family history of colon cancer--just diverticulitis. My brother is a smoker---and had a very poor diet, high in fats, and little or no fiber. My diet is higher in fiber---and healthy foods, little or no fats. I quit smoking in 1990---I hope it helps me down the road. AS kids our diets were not followed. When I was a teenager ---I would wake up in the morning and have three orders of fries and a pepsi---SCARY............. :rolleyes: I was always real thin and could eat anything. When I got into my 20s---I ate much better. It's funny---in the 70s we watched calories, in the 80s it was fats, and in the 90s it was carbs---or the combo of carbs and fats.

His wife is now on weight watchers and lost weight and is doing very well, this has helped her to plan better meals for Joe now. It will be tough---he likes junk food----and he's very stubborn, but I think all this is a big wake up call, and he will be a willing participant. He also vows to quit somking. He already tried the patch---but couldn't tolerate it. He may do alright as he hasn't smoked for several days.

At some point I will find a way to get a look--------as my mother in law puts it---(down below).

Guest Mary from OH

Julie,

No words can express how I feel for you and your brother and his family. This is a very unfortunate situation. I'm praying and giving you strength to help you get through this for your brother and his wife. They will need you.

And as far as the colonoscopy goes, I've had to have several. The worst part is the prep. They give you meds so that you don't even remember a thing!!! I was amazed! I wish they would have told me that from the beginning because I had myself all worked up into a tizzy!! For me, the procedure wasn't bad. The prep killed me. I learned that I HATE GoLytley. If you can, tell them that you want something else for prep!!! LOL! Then, it's a piece of cake. Seriously, it's not bad. The drugs really make you forget everything.

I sent you a private message about dealing with Joe's work situation. I hope it helps. Let me know if we can be of assistance.

LOVE YOU!!!!! B)

Hang in there!!!!