New to this site

Millie Halp

Hello Everyone;

Please bare with me. I am new to this site. This past fall I was working and all of a sudden got very fatigued, dizzy and my heart felt like it was going to jump out of my chest. I work in a greenhouse and I have to stand all day. By the end of the year I was diagnosed with Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia and now was told I might have to quit my job.

I want to find out as much as I can about this. I don't want to lose my job. I have the winter off, which is a good thing, but don't know if I can do it come spring. This will give me time to get suggestions, find a good doctor, and... well change my life. I hope I am at the right place.

Thanks for listening.

Welcome. A good place to start is to read the "helpful hints" to using the forum, which is a pinned topic at the top of this section. Also, check the "Frequently Asked Questions" section too, which is also pinned at the top of this section.

Lastly, if you haven't read through the main site, http://www.dinet.org , please do so, as there are many answers located there.

Nina

be still -

welcome! i'm sorry that you have reason to be here but am glad you found us and hope you'll find the info & support helpful. it's great that you have a diagnosis....while i'm sure it hasn't felt "quick" to you while going through it it often takes people a long time - years and years - to get the right diagnosis.

nina (mightymouse) already directed you toward where you'll find a lot of info and/or direction on how to find the info you're looking for.

re: working and your specific job there is a HUGE variance re: what those with POTS &/or related disorders are able to do. while it may be to early to make a definitive decision either way regarding your job, realize that any job where you must stand continuously and also has you in hot/humid conditions is more than a little taxing to a POTSy body. that said, for years i was able to lifeguard, do varsity sports & triathlons in the heat without a problem as long as i kept my fluids & salt intake up.

you're fairly new in the process and it sounds like you haven't ventured into much treatment yet so i think it's great that you have the winter season to explore treatments & work on feeling the best you possibly can.

hang in there,

B) melissa