Bone Marrow??

Guest Belinda

Guest Belinda

This may not have anything to do with POTS but since it is happening to my body amongst all the other lovely things I thought I would ask.

Has anyone ever had therebone marrow tested? Does it hurt? As I have posted before my red blood cells were high sepecially for my age..so I went to a hematologist and she started talking about testing my bone marrow for polycythemia vera, she said it is when your bone marrow makes to many RBC's. And it is similar to cancer of the blood. UGH.

She is hoping that I only have the secondary form plain old Polycythemia. I did smoke in the past and that is why they never paid attention to it as people who smoke have high RBC counts.

This is just going to be icing on the cake..of course I know I shouldn't panic until I have it done but I just wondered if there was anyone out there that has had there bone marrow tested and how do theydo it?

My mom is a nurse(retired) soi she said she stood in on one many years ago.

I have so many things going on right now and to top it off I have the hurrendous cold I am sure many of you have already had.

I have so many decisions to make in the next week or so regarding other things..of course I won't get into it right now.

I am scared but not losing it which is good...thanks for all your support recently..

HUGS..Belinda

Before you have your bone marrow tested, have you had a blood volume test? If you have a low plasma volume (not unheard of among dysautonomia patients) but a normal red cell mass, your ordinary blood test will have a high hematocrit, which gives a false impression of polycythemia. You only qualify for polycythemia if you have an elevated total red cell mass. For more information, see http://www.daxor.com

I'm sorry you are going through this right now. A hematologist almost did a bone marrow on me a few months ago because my counts were "scary low" for red and white blood cells. They did do ALOT of other tests and use the bone marrow as a last option. Ask them about pain and discomfort and how that will be handled. Really make sure you are comfortable with the situation and understand what is going on. That will help you cope, and be a little calmer and more prepared.

If it was done to me, I was told I would be given a sleeping pill and pain medication as soon as I got to the office to sedate/relax me a bit, and help me get through the pain. They take the marrow from the hip or chest usually...there is a more technical name for that but I forget the names.

A high red count is reason for concern, so ask questions, see what else can be done before having this test done and somehow you will make it through. Hang in there! I found the thought of that test very scary, so they did go through more tests before doing that and fortunatly my counts came up some, so they didn't have to. Let us know what happens!