suggestion for more readable posts

I read the posts on this forum just in case I can offer anything to anybody. However, there are some posts that I have difficulty reading and these are the "solid" posts . . . by that I mean the ones that are written without any paragraph or line breaks.

Sometimes I lose my place while reading them. Also I tend to lose the train of thought behind any given part of the post.

Many times I don't offer a reply because I feel like I may have skipped over important parts when I lost my way.

It would help this old person with POTS read and understand better if we all tried to avoid writing "solid" posts. It doesn't matter if one makes two or more paragraphs from a single train of thought. It just matters that there is space there to give my mind a chance to take things in bit by bit.

Jan, you have impecable timing. Michelle, Melissa and I have been working on some helpful notes for posters--in addition to line breaks, using the "add reply" button instead of the "reply" button helps to keep posts free of long quotes of the post you're responding to, which takes up lots of visual space on the forum and makes it harder to read. Part of the problem is the layout of the forum buttons, which is beyond our control, but I'm sure that our host company has gotten suggestions from more than just DINET on fixing that issue. :lol:

Nina

Jan,

Great suggestion! I would also like to suggest that people try to be a bit more specific in their subject lines. For example, instead of saying "I have a question" it would be helpful if the subject line says "Beta blockers" if the question relates to beta blockers.

I also think it's a good idea to search through old posts before asking a question, because there is a lot of great info on many of the topics that seem to be coming up.

Nina, it sounds like the notes you're putting together will really be helpful!

Thanks,

Rita

Jan,

This is such a pet peeve of mine! I think it's been brought up on at least one occassion...I know I have mentioned it elsewhere and have had to tell some email buddies to do the same thing in email.

My eyes and brains ability to process are greatly affected.

Also, I would like to add for folks to NOT use ALL CAPS!! this is very tough to read as well and almost makes me feel dyslexic.

if one is too busy to use the shift key...using all lower caps is still easier to read imo. the capital letter adds to the cluttered look and cramped look.

go post about this on every message board you frequent jan and get the word out! LOL

I post on a message board with one of the most confusig quotes button I have ever seen. Folks have learned how to quote one or two sentences by say, 3-6 posters and include it in their replies. I am still asking for lessons on the site on how to do stuff!!

But thanks for the Public Service Announcement thread Jan.

I used to be guilty of that and now realize it's just about impossible for me to read them!

I email friends now with a thousand breaks and they all ask why. I say because and please reply the same way! LOL It's hard to explain how it is so much harder and I apologize to anyone who had to wade through my novellas that were all one paragraph... :P morgan

The title issue has been an ongoing one--if it's not in the notes, it probably will be added! Also, folks seem to have trouble figuring out the avatars (pictures), and how to use their own photos or images, so we've added that too.

Ocassionally, I've gone and added a subtitle or clarified title, along with a note to the poster explaining that posting with a specific title helps readers to know if they can actually help.

When it's ready, I think the post will be listed in the pinned section. Nina

Jan,

YES! Thank you! And, as always, the moderators are on the ball...

I, like Morgan, have been guilty of the 'solid' long post ramblings.

In the past year, and more so in the past couple of months I am hardly able to be on the board at all. I pop in to see the titles, topics and sometimes read a little but have just been too sick...and cannot focus at all.

Like you, I find the solid posts hard to read...and like Morgan, it's become harder and harder to read. The spaces help a lot!

Jan, I was not able to chime in on your post for prayers, but please know that I am always thinking about you both...(my lack of posting is not a reflection of my lack of thinking about folks here...)

Thanks Nina and Michelle and Sunfish for working on this. It is hard to keep the rules going (like the post topics) as new folks come and are trying to 'learn the ropes' and we old folks have to learn to change our old habits! hehehe...

Emily

Hi Jan!

I'm new here, avid for imformaton abouts POTS I've beeng searching through old posts in this forum . I've skipped those which are difficult to read. These posts may be very interesting but the way in which they are writen makes them look dull. I agree with you Jan posts should be made more easy to read. :P

the "helpful hints for forum use" has been posted under the pinned section. we're also planning on sending it out to new members in a welcome email which should help newbies from the start but obviously it's good for everyone to peruse.

:P melissa

Hi, I think the new ideas are great. I am also guilty with the long, not broken down posts. I think it's because I'm afraid to lose my train of thought that I forget to space it out more LOL!! Now, I can just type away and I can put the spaces in at the end...I hope i remember that part lol