Potassium supplement

Ernie

Hi everyone,

I know many of you are taking potassium supplement (K+).

What I would like to know is what symptoms does it help you with, ie muscle pain, weakness, nausea or anything else that you might be aware?

Thanks for your comments.

Ernie

I was on potassium whilst on florinef. I didn't have any side effects personally, but I did look up info for you, which you can look at via these links:

http://www.drugs.com/potassium.html

and this one specifies which drugs should never be combined with potassium supplements and why.

ttp://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshelf/substances_interact/0,1661,10086,00.html

Nina

Hi,

Thanks for caring about me and warning me against the side effects of too much K+.

I will explain a bit more my question. I am presently taking K+ prescribed by my endocrinologist and I find that it helps with some of my symptoms. I was wondering if it does the same for some of you?

What I want to understand is if the K+ is helping other people like it is helping Morgan and I or are we just the only two who feel a difference when we are on it?

Perhaps some of you are taking it because you have low serum K+ but don't feel the difference.

My question is more: what is your own perception of what K+ helps you with?

For example: Does it give you more energy? Do you feel less hungry? Do you have less muscle pain? or any other perception of that sort.

I am not on florinef but I do take potassium supplements at times. In my case, we discovered that my body depletes potassium when I have these autonomic crashes. Apparently heightened stress (be it from a physical or emotional cause) can cause the kidneys to either use more or deplete more potassium.

I can tell when I need the extra potassium although I will say it took me years to figure out this aspect of my body. I start to get more muscle cramps especially in my feet and my heart rate will be more unstable.

I am also allergic to several foods that are high in potassium which is another reason for the supplements.

When I take the potassium I have fewer muscle spasms and muscle twitches and my heart rate becomes less eratic. I do have to be really careful about nausea though as almost all of the potassium supplements are harsh on my tummy. I have learned to eat a full meal immediately prior to taking the potassium.

I've been on K+ for about two years. I assumed it was to compliment the increased sodium I take. I don't think I retain either one very well. I don't now if it helps any symptoms particularly but it is an interesting question that I'm going to ask dr on mon at next appt. Mine comes in capsule form and i take it in the morning.

ernie et al -

i initially had potassium problems when on florinef and actually stopped florinef (several years ago and without a problem at the time) b/c the large amounts of potassium i was having to take were causing me GI problems. i've been hospitalized b/c of severe hypokalemia.

now i have potassium problems no matter what and was just put back on supplements a few months ago. we're thinking it may be related to malabsorption issues as a lot of my other vitamin/mineral levels have been coming up as low as well. for me i don't feel "better" per se when on potassium but i do feel much worse if my levels are even borderline low. it's also a guarantee for me that if i have even a few days of my gastroparesis acting up to the point of throwing up then my potassium is sure to drop even more.

so my potassium issues are/were made worse by florinef in years past but not now. now it's just another element of fun in my wacky body that we always have to keep a close eye on. even when i'm eating lots of K+ rich food/drink.

:lol: melissa the banana eater

Ernie, I had to go to er last night, for ear infections which I didn't have ,of course, but they wigged about my bp, of course.

Even though I take K+ supplements and eat high K+ foods, it was still low last night. I noticed I was having major tremors and twitches in the er, so thought that was weird. I came home and took an extra one and am better today, so I have to say, I really do notice when I am lower than I should be. And taking it does help quite a bit. morgan

Edited by morgan617

Hi girls,

Thanks for the answers.

Doctors were telling me that my potassium problem was part of POTS but I realize that only a few of you have the same problem so tomorrow I will be able to tell my doctor that K+ loss is not part of POTS. I wonder what's the problem with my body!

Morgan, I hope they treated you well this time at the ER! I just got up and my muscles are sore. I can't wait to take my K+ to feel better.