Accupuncture

Jacquie802

Hi, just curious to see if anyone has ever tried accupuncture for the POTS symptoms????????? :angry:

I loved going to accupuncture, which helped a great deal with my headaches. However, it did make my POTS and NCS symptoms a bit worse--I was always woozy afterward for a few hours.

Nina

Hi

I don't want to put anyone off accupuncture because it does help many people.

However, for me, it was a complete disaster. My autonomic symptoms started during and after an acupuncture treatment. I believe it was just the trigger to an already existent underlying problem, but my advice would always be to be cautious.

If you want to see someone, go to an experienced practitioner and tell him to go easy for the first few sessions.

Again, I don't want to put anyone off as maybe I am an atypical case. In fact, I have heard of it helping people with dysautonomia.

It is meant to be good for fatigue, disgestive problems and more.

Take care

Ben

I'm also an atypical case, I have another (autoimmune) condition added to the stew, but I tried acupuncture with someone who is also a medical doctor and he was very gentle about it. It was a disaster and knocked me onto the couch completely for a week. It also brought out the worst in me emotionally, it's hard to believe I'm still married :angry: He told me to go the conventional route. The "natural" things I do for POTS that help are walking, and fluid/salt intake and avoiding sugar and processed foods as much as possible.

Ariella

jacquie -

i don't have any personal experience but know it's been discussed before so i would definitely recommend doing a search. i've heard both positives & negatives so think it depends on the person receiving it, the person getting it, and probably a million other factors....

B) melissa

I had it for my meneires, but it actually made me feel worse. Just my experience. My sister swears by it, but she says you must have someone born into the culture and trained in the east. Her accupuncturist barely speaks english, but makes her feel so much better.

The one I went to was Asian, but he was a jerk too, so maybe that makes a difference.....The physical therapist I fainted on said I should try magnets. I'm pretty steeped in traditional meds, but told him I would walk around with a red hot poker in my bottom, if it would help.... :)

My accupuncturist is also a chiro. She studied in China for 6 mo and is very good and thoughtful about what you ae telling her. I did burn "cones" above my belly button but that didn't help but we thought at time it was addrenals so i'm not sure that was a failure just we hadn't got along far enough. I don't think I've ever gotten good help from a jerk dr. bad vibes I think. I do agree that those who have connection with eastern med and give care are better than those who just read a book. Its very hard to translate eastern med and western med. I've been trying to for two years and just barely have a hold on it.:-)

I tried accupuncture this past year and it did not help with pots. It helped me with my shoulders and several other things and I intend to start again in 2006 when the insurance will cover some of it. The accupuncturist who is also a chiropractor said the combination of the 2 treatments can correct the autonomic system but I was a weird case.