terrible depression

Lately I have been going through severe depression. I am on 100mg of zoloft but only started a week ago so it hasnt had time to kick in yet. I was originally on zoloft but it was starting to be less effective so they switched me to effexor which I couldnt take because of the side effects (terrible nightmares) and then to lexapro which made me feel worse. Then they decided just to put me back on the zoloft. That was about 3 weeks ago, but they started me on 50 mg and I have only been taking the 100mg for about 5 days. The depression is so bad that I have to force myself to get out of bed. I know that it takes a while for the zoloft to kick in but I feel so hopeless right now. I talked to my dr and he said that it just takes a while and if I wasnt any better in a week to call. I dont know what I should do.

Hello...and so sorry to hear that you're having such a hard time with depression. :)

While the SSRI's can be helpful, it's also important to get support from people in your life. This board can serve as part of that support, but it issextremely important that you see someone who can help you learn coping strategies, such as a clinical social worker, psychologist or counsellor. I would suggest looking for someone who has skills or interest in treating people with chronic illness.

Big hugs! Nina

My heart goes out to you. I am sorry you are going through this!!!I have been there recently and know what it feels like. I am now on Wellbutrin 100mg and effexor 100mg. It took a while to find the right combination. You should not have to go through this alone. I suggest counceling if you are financially able or if you have a way through church. My councelor walked along side me through it. I was always able to call her when I needed her and she would get back to me as soon as possible. She held me when I cried and let me know I was not crazy. The feelings I was having were normal. Eileen gave me the support noone else could give.

Severe depression is very painful, dark and lonely. Having someone who understands, is nonjudgmental and is willing to listen is important. Unless someone has been there or is trained in depression they will not understand what you are going through. Remember severe depression is only temporary and things will get better. I know it is hard to believe when you are in that pit.

Remember we are always here for you. Feel free to e-mail me privately. It is good you are reaching out to others for support. That is what will get you through this. I will pray that the Zoloft starts to work soon and that maybe you even have an Eileen come into your life. I praying for you to have brighter days with big smiles.

Big Hugs,

dawn

thanks guys. It gets better for me in the afternoon. I dont know why. Maybe because I am used to getting up and going to work and right now I feel like I dont have anything to do. I am on medical leave so I really just kind of hang around the house all day which gets very boring. I'm sure that doesnt help, not having anything to do I mean. I am kind of between insurance right now b/c my husband changed jobs. The insurance is effective we just havent recieved our cards so if we absolutly had to go to the dr we could but we would have to go through a lot of red tape. We are supposed to get the cards this week, hopefully with a booklet, so I will know whether I need a referal. I got a list of councelors in my area so I will make an appt as soon as I find out whether or not they are covered. I appreciate the support and understanding. I am usually so positive, but just lately I cant seem to do it. My husband has the typical male attitude of "just walk it off", so sometimes it is hard for me to talk to him about it. He appologizes for not being understanding all of the time but you are right, I need someone who understands to talk to. I guess thats why I feel so at home here, because you guys know what I am going through and you have been through it yourselves so you can relate to what I am saying. Sorry I've gone on so long.

I assume you have already looked into this but have you checked to see if any other meds you might be taking could be contributing to the depression?

I started having crying spells when I was on propanolol which lifted when I stopped taking it. Just a thought........

I, too, am experiencing the worst depression in years and am housebound so getting out for support is impossible. I just tell myself that this is just one more of life's challenges and I will overcome as I have in the past.

I hope you feel better very soon. I know how hard it is.

This must be the season. I've seen several people on this post saying they are experiencing depression, and I must say that I, too, am in that boat even though I don't normally get depressed. At least we all recognize what's going on and talk about it. I will stay focused on the fact that feeling depressed today does NOT mean I will ALWAYS feel depressed. This is temporary even though it doesn't necessarily feel that way. The one thing you can be sure of with anything to do with dysautonomia is that things ALWAYS change. Here's to happy days ahead for us all!

Aprilmarie52, I've just had to give up on going back to my job. I've finally come to the realization that there is no way I can maintain employment, and that realization has sent me into the pits at well. It's a big adjustment for me since I've been working my whole life. But I will not give up hope that at some point I may be able to return to some form of employment, or volunteer work. Just know you're not alone. Good wishes your way :)

In regards to your question about feeling worse when the weather is yucky.....I am not sure where you live, but I live in Michigan so we have long winters and there is a thing called SADD. It stands for seasonal affective disorder. You can get a special light that mimics sunlight except without the bad UV rays. My doctor said that it really helps people who get very depressed in the winter. Don't know if that will help you, but I thought that I would pass it on. I hope the Zoloft starts working for you. I also agree about going to see a counselor or therapist. That has really helped me and my therapist actually only charges me 1/4 of her normal charge because I don't have very much money. Hope you start feeling better!!

I am sure you are also grieving not being able to work right now. Hopefully it is just tempory. Being home alone and isolated can also get depressing. When I applied for disability I was shocked at how emotional I got after I filled out the paper work. I actually went through a grieving process for a long time. Experiancing emotional pain is a process we have to go through in order to deal with difficult circumstances in a healthy manner. Avoiding that pain as your husband suggests will make everything worse in the end. I used to feel the same way your husband does and I learned the hard way. I am glad you are going to seek professional help. I was never keen on going to counseling and was very surprised at how helpful it was.

Now that I am through the pain I am able to take negative and make it positive. It took me a while to get there. I am presently taking a 12 week course on Christian counseling. I am learning a lot . I would like to sign up for a community care ministry, but my health will not allow it at the present. I hope someday to be able to use my pain to help others. I especially want to help the forgotten, those in nursing homes or homebound. It feels horrible to feel alone and forgotten. I can not stand the thought of others feeling that way and want to reach out to them.

I think depression is more common in the spring and the suicide rates are higher. I have had other episodes of depression and it has always been in the spring. Sorry for rambling.