Do you need low tempretures to achieve proper sleep?

Evie

Since i have moved into a house with airconditioning i have improved alot. I have worked out that if the tempreture is over 18 degrees celcius (aprox 65 F) i have a tough time falling into a deep sleep. Unfortunately that means that everyone else in my house has to freeze so i can sleep.

I am pretty sure they believe me but sometimes i think they may think im just being a pain about it. They suggest i sleep without a doona (makes sense i know). But this does not help me. Even if i have no sheets on i still find it hard to get into a deep sleep if the room is over 18-20 degrees.

I realise that 18 degrees is not even hot. Im not sure why my body is so fussy about temperature. My boyfriend tells me that i tend to radiate heat at nighttime, i dont sweat just get really hot. Does anyone else experience this?

Hi, I can relate. It's funny that you mention 65 degrees because if the heat is over that I get very symptomatic. I'm not sure if I sweat or if I just get really hot....come to think of it I don't ever feel sweaty just very hot and flushed skin. I guess 65 is the lucky number for us! :)

Jacquie

Actually, cool temps for sleep are recommended by doctors who help those with sleep problems. Part of your body's mechanism to bring on sleep is a lowering of the body's temperature, and a cool room helps your temp to drop so you can hopefull drift off.

Nina

Guest CyberPixie

Me too! Need it to be 18c or lower to sleep. I prefer it to be 18c or lower in day too. Strangely enough couple years ago I would feel freezing all winter. I'd be in fleece pyjamas, under a fur blanket and a duvet with the heating on and still be shivering. At that time my pulse was always around 62 and my general health was a bit better. Now the POTs is much worse I've gone the other way and I'm hot most of the time. I dread next summer though I do have an air conditioning machine but it's so noisy it's hard to sleep at night with it on.

I'm still in summer night clothes with the window open and the temperature outside is approx 6c.

Our house is never over 65 degrees plus we have a ceiling fan directly over the bed, the register is closed in our bedroom and my husband uses a Chillow (www.chillow.com) on top of his pillow that we keep in the fridge until bedtime. Yes, he radiates heat, especially at bedtime and especially from his head. I do everything I can to keep from freezing but it is worth it if he can get to sleep - fortunately once he is out he stays asleep until the alarm goes off.

Its so good to know im not a complete freak! sorry to hear that we all have to be so fussy about the little things though.

I wonder what it is about 65 that makes it such a important number heh.

Have any doctors mentioned these symptoms to you? does anyone know why we radiate heat?

I will look into the chillow. Ive been thinking how good it would be if something like that existed and now i find out it does! :)

i'm not sure about that, but i have noticed that just recently my body has become extremely sensitive to temperature changes. i used to be able to go out in 30F weather with little to no wind with only a t-shirt on and be just fine. now all of a sudden i step into a cool room and in about 30 minutes i'm freezing. and different parts of my body can be hot while other parts are freezing. it usually happens when i sit down; thats when by body is warm but my feet go numb from cold. and i've started to sit indian style whenever i don't have socks on to keep my feet warm, infact i'm sitting like that right now.

you're not a freak. we're all different and each have their own problems, this is just something that makes you special.

sweet dreams

Tom