Rice Socks??

Jacquie802

Hi guys, I am hoping someone here could help me out on this one. In the winter and throughout most of the year my feet are always ice cold. I have been wearing 2 pair of thick socks a day but my feet still freeze. My friend told me about some sock-type things her friend has. She said there is a rice thing in them that she heats up in the microwave and it keeps her feet warm. Anyone know what this is?? I sure would like to get a pair from Santa this year :)

Jacquie

someone gave me a pair when I was recovering from my spinal surgeries a few years ago... mine are filled with rice and aromatic herbs. I heat them for about 2 minutes in the microwave and they stay warm for about a half hour or so. I also have a wrap that is made of similar materials and filled with buckwheat and lavender. I heat that in the microwave too which keeps my neck and shoulders toasty.

Nina

jacquie -

i got a heatable "log"/multipurpose wrap with some variety of rice/herbs/oatmeal/buckwheat in it many years ago as a gift. i've since gotten myself both mittens & slippers/socks with aromatic heat-packs in them as well. believe it or not i got them on sale at a pharmacy store (i think CVS, but could have been RiteAid or Walgreens). they are warm & cozy but only good for if resting b/c the heated part is on the bottom of the foot and not easy or designed for walking.

i also have another reusable hot pack of sorts - designed for campers/hunters - that can be put in pocket or side of a thick sock or wherever. i think santa got it for me at a sporting goods store a few years back. it doesn't require microwaving but rather needs to be soaked in hot (boiling?) water after use. for use it only needs to be "cracked" for the heat to activate.

hope this helps...

:) melissa

I have a pair(somewhere :) ) of socks and they have a pouch that lays on top of your toes. You put hothands in them and they really warm up your toes! Hothands are also wonderful plain also. I also have a wrap for your neck(or wherever) and it has a special kind of corn that doesn't pop and you heat it up in the microwavefor 2 minutes and it stays cozy warm for quite a while. :) Hope this helps!

Edited by hockeykid

Thanks for the info guys...where could I buy something like this?

well,

i have gushed about this product before and i will again!!! :)

if you can do a search for 'cosy soles' on this site...you will find more gushing by me. this topic of cold feet has come up before and you may find some helpful tips under the old posts too...search for 'cold feet'! :)

so, my favorite thing in the whole world for cold feet...year round...is cosy soles.

www.cosysoles.ca or www.cosysoles.com i think... or just type in cosy soles.

they are from canada and they are a bit pricey, esp. with shipping. but they warm your ENTIRE foot and they are worth every penny. i promise. they are made specially for people like us with chronic illnesses taht cause us to have cold feet. they also now carry mittens that you heat in the microwave, but i have another pair already, so do not have those...

i really rely on these heated products. the cosy soles go in the microwave. no other product i have found compares to their quality.

i use my slippers, mittens, electric blanket and heating pad every darned day of teh year!!!! :)

hope this helps...nope, i'm not paid by this company! :)

emily

p.s. some brands only heat the top or only the bottom of your foot, which didn't help me. and like you, wearing a zillion pairs of socks doesn't matter. i need something as a sorce of HEAT. you can also walk around in the cosy soles, which i like....

hope santa will be willing to splurge on these for you! we bought our cleaning person a pair for xmas b/c she always complains about her 'cold feets'...she is sooooo happy about them...she wears hers every day now too! :)

i also got a new pair of slippers from llbean this year...they are down booties. they are the warmest slippers i have found...they are lightweight and if i put them on right away in the day they seem to keep my feet from getting as cold as they usually do. they seem to keep my feet warmer than other, more expenisve alternatives like shearling and such.

no, really, i don't have a lot of moula to spend, esp if MA keeps deciding that they won't pay for any of my meds!...i just spend a little too much on things like pajamas (dizzygirl are you reading??? :)) and anything to bring me a bit of comfort...like keeping my feet warm. it is very hard to have cold feet all of the time.

i read somewhere that cold feet can delay falling asleep by up to an hour...i believe it! if my feet are frozen (which they are) i can't sleep or rest.

okay, done rambline. i need to crash now!

happy shopping! :)

Yep I'm reading em!!!! lol!! i just bought a really heavy pair of fleece sweatpaints.. OMG!! they are so warm and comfy!! I got them from oldnavy.. they were on sale for 10$ I couldnt pass them up.. I too am constantly freezing.. and my feet...whew! one way to get the bed all to my self is to stick my cold feet on my Boyfriend!!.. there are like ice blocks.. asa re my hands and nose...

I'm gonna have to look into thos socks bootie things you are talking about...where can you find LLbean stuff? do they have a store of there own? or is it sold asa clothing line?? in other stores like Pennet's or simething...

Now that cold feet delaying sleep by an hour.. that is interesting.. b/c my totsies are never warm.. and I never sleep!! LOL.. trying to be funny.. LOL

My sister is an occupational therapist. She used to make rice heating pads for her patients. You use rice. I made my own and would use it at work for my hands. You just heat it up in the microwave. The only drawback was that my classroom smelled like rice! They do work.

Marie

I live in polar fleece all winter--tops, pants, socks. The best ones that I have are from LL Bean and from Lands End. I always used to be too hot all year long, but the past 2 years, winter has been harder on me, and my hands and feet get really cold.

Nina

Hi, you can go to www.LLbean.com and you can look at their stuff online. At the bottom of Nina's posts it says that LL bean offers some of it's profit to DINET (unless I read wrong :) )

It's funny that I get bouts of being really hot and then all of a sudden my feet hands and nose are icicles. I feel like I am having hot flashes!!! Anyhow, time to check out LL Bean's website!

Jacquie

*Marie, how do you make your own rice pads???

In order for DINET to get a donation from affiliated stores, you need to first register with iGive, and then start your shopping through the links on the iGive site for each store you go to. DINET is then given a percentage donation for each purchase... over the years it's added up to 377$ that's gone to DINET

um...a small confession...I know I'm repsonsible for a goodly part of that over the 2 years via my crazy penchant for shopping online, especially at the holidays. However, this year, our finances are WAY too tight. I've not bought a single thing online for the holidays, so some other folks might want to take up the slack. BTW, I'm am awfully loyal to those companies who voluntarilly associate with iGive because I feel so strongly about big corporations supporting non-profits this way.

In addition to the stores I mentioned above, there are literally HUNDREDS of other familiar, big retail places via iGive. Happy shopping!

BTW, I found the cozy soles website

http://www.cosysoles.ca/

and I found some other neat similar items on drugstore.com, which is an iGive affiliate, called dream time

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp...BUY-PLST-0-SRCH

Thanks Nina, I'm going to register. I wish I had thought to ask earlier, because I have ordered from a bunch of the participating stores online alot this year. I really shouldn't be ordering soo much stuff since I need to save every penny these days, but it sure does beat going into stores and getting sick!

Jacquie

nina,

i hate to be a big party pooper...but i don't like the dreamtime ones at all. and they are about the same price as the cosy soles. sorry :). they don't heat the whole foot in the same way. and i think the heated part is at the bottome, which means that are hard to walk it when they are on. the cosy soles, you can still walk around AND have warm feet! :)

i downloaded the new igive window and it is not coming up on my coputer. i don't know if this is b/c i have pop ups blocked or what. but i haven't had the energy to fix it! terrible. i won't be able to pick up your slack in the shopping dep't either! as i have that good 'ol SSI...HUGE income, ya know? :) he-he. i think i am better off to send a bit of money to dinet than to shop! he-he.

okay, rambling...

em

linda...you can only order llbean by catalog or internet. they do have a couple of stores, but you'd have to travel a LONG ways! :) sears carries a lot of lands end items now though.

THanks for the info on the dream time slippers. BTW, footsmart sells the cozy soles too.

As for the iGive shopping window, it's considered a pop up by your browser, so you'd need to accept iGive's pop ups in order for it to work right. If you have a macintosh computer, they don't make an igive shopping window for us, so just start out at the iGive site for shopping and you should see a bar at the top of the browser when you go to the store which tells you the percentage DINET will get.

nina

Edited by MightyMouse

YUP! I think my pop-up blocker also blocked it from coming up. Can we just donate money to Dinet?

I am cheap, cheap, cheap..... Or maybe just too broke. But I have my faithful rice bags I can't live without. I made 2 of them.

I folded a hand towel in half each way, sewed up 2 sides, leaving 1 side open, then poured about 3 pounds of rice in each one. I have 1 that is folded each way so 1 is long and the other one is more square. I made a couple out of washcloths too but gave them away to an elderly woman who liked the little tiny ones. Adding lavender would be a nice touch. These are SO nice for those of us who seem to be continually cold!