Urinary Problems and Falling on the ice

Guest Mary from OH

Guest Mary from OH

Well, I've been really struggling lately, between my migraines, POTS and everything, I may go mad!!! I've also already fallen on the ice twice this year, the first resulting in a mild concussion and bruises/strains to my upper and lower back. The second resulting in a bruised and strained wrist and hand and also bruised and strained right knee (which I've already had total ACL recontruction on!). I feel like a giant bruise and pulled muscle!!!

On the second front, over the last several months, I've been experiencing some problems that I didn't realize were problems. Since they came and went and I didn't have any pain I thought I was "ok". I have been experiencing problems with being able to urinate. It will take me 20 - 30 minutes to be able to go. This will sometimes last for a few days or up to a week. Then it will go away. Also, I started having blood show up in the toilet. It was a significant amount. I have no idea where it was coming from. It would only happen once or at the most twice and then not happen for a long time... So I just kept ignoring the symptoms. No pain, no burning, etc. I finally went to my Family Dr. and she took a urine sample and found blood in my urine and TONS of WBC and dx me with a HUGE bladder infection. She said since I am on heavy pain meds for my migraines, this is probably why I wasn't feeling any pain. I started taking the antibiotic (I think it starts with a D?) and in 2 days I had BAD pain. I called the drs office and they changed my antibiotic. So far, so good. However, in the meantime, my culture came back from the lab and it is TOTALLY CLEAN!!!! What the heck???!!!! My dr is sending me to a urologist. But, I don't understand how this could happen. HELP!!!!

I feel like I'm going nuts!! My health has been so poor. I'm so not ready for Christmas. I feel like the biggest Grinch and I have a 6 year old!! Thanks....

If you were on antibiotics when you gave the urine sample, your urine would be clean.

blood in the urine can be from infection, but can also be from kidney stones... in any event, you should follow up with the urologist. better safe than sorry with that...

Nina

Guest Mary from OH

Nina-

I gave the urine sample before the antibiotics (sorry for the confusion). I haven't been making much sense lately. (That's a whole other story!!) That's whats so perplexing!! I was supposed to call my Family Dr. yesterday (whoops!) with names of urologists on my plan and I forgot! Forgot today too! My daughter was sick yesterday and today. And today I tried to make Christmas cookies all day. I'm exhausted.

I guess I should bring up my whole memory concerns in another post. But, after having some severe migraines with neurological symptoms (not unusual for me) and falling on the ice and hitting my head, I've been having some BAD memory problems and just generally feeling stupid in general. After finally remembering to call my neuro, the MA "dropped my call" accidentilly and never called me back. Now it's the holidays and I'm going to have to remember to call again after the holidays!!! GRRRRRR...

Hope you're feeling better and not pushing yourself too much!!

Any time you find blood in your urine and it's a new thing, it needs to be checked out. I've had blood in my urine for 20 years, but I go in on a regular basis to get it checked. It's just a good idea. I have a very tiny urethra, so I have a hard time peeing sometimes too, and bladder spasm can make it hard to go.

As far as wbc's, sometimes those can be vaginal, the speciman is contaminated or something. See, there are so many things, so get it checked out.....morgan

Hi, I can't imagine how it feels to have to wait 20-30 min to urinate. I get aggravated if it takes more than 2 minutes, LOL. Does this happen just in the am? I too recently had a UTI or a Bladder Infection, I forget what, but I didn't have much pain at all, but I was put on Cipro, and that of course made me sick. It takes alot of convincing for my doctors to get me to take meds, took many trips to the ER to take my Toprol...Anyhow, i hope you find a solution to what's going on. It's always a good idea to get things like this checked out.

:) Jacquie

Guest Mary from OH

Morgan,

The problem was that I had no idea where I was bleeding from and I am on a HIGH dose of narcotics for my intractable migraines and am suffering from some constipation issues, so I wasn't sure WHERE I was bleeding from. And, as quickly as it would come, it would go. But, I was alarmed by the amount of blood. But, I would forget about it by the time I would see my dr. I also didn't correlate my symptoms of having difficulty urinating together with the bleeding for some reason.

Jacquie-

Talk about aggrevation!! I am NOT a patient person!! And with a six year old running around, it about makes me nuts!! I can't tell you how many times I've had to tell her, leave mommy alone or "be quiet for a minute" mommy needs to concentrate on trying to urinate. It's pretty pathetic!!

I finally figured out that I needed to see my dr. But I'm totally mystifyed that the lab results have come back clean!! The initial lab results IN my drs office showed a VERY serious infection. In fact, she even mentioned the possibility of hospitalizing me because the number of WBC's were so high and that this had been going on so long. So, I was totally blown away when the tests came back clean. At least she still wants me to go and get checked out by a urologist. But, I am just trying to understand. I guess just like any of our "other" problems, there's no rhyme or reason!! LOL!