er and stereotype

lizzy

this past year for my family have been hard. alot of er visits for many reasons.my husband and myself are on antdepresstion meds.reading the posts some others are on them to .do you notice a diffice in the way the er treats you once they know your on the meds?

I have pots ncs,gi plobles,fiblodes,enimic,depression.passed out at store bp60/42 hr240 tranprted to hoslital under my REFUSEL.I WAS BAD.but having trouble talking.anyway at er the doc took a look a my meds tolk the nurse to unhook the muniter cus "we need this room for a pateint that needs a muniter"then he explained to he how the holidays can be stressful.and my family and the careing emts can not understand why i get mad and cry .

has enything like this happen to anyone too.

the emt around here know me too well,they try very hard to document and even talk to the docs that she is not faking or streted .never helped.thanks for letting me vent if anything ,for this web site.

Guest Belinda

ah yes..I have been newly diagnosed with Pots and soon to find out what else is going on with me. I went to ER right after Thasnksgiving and felt awful..bp crazy and heart rate Tachy..and the ER doc. was like I don''t know what to do for you , they monitored my vitals for about 2 sec.

And then I told him I felt awful and felt like jumping off a bridge because I didn't know then my daignoses.

They sent in Psych. consult -UGHHH!

I have physical problems as do you but all they seem to focus on is the mental stuff.

It really irritates me and if you look for a previous post I did in Nov. I explained what happened and many here had similar experiences so no you are not alone in this.

Even after diagnoses they tried to give me 2mg. of Ativan when I went in recently and all I really needed was fluids-IV.

Take care and keep your head up. Bleinda

I avoid ER at all costs... Even the people at church know to never call 911 when I faint. They have the drill down: Elevate feet and she will wake up in a couple minutes or less.

Las time I was in ER was 2 years ago this past Thanksgiving. I had a migraine headache; I tried all the usual things that might have staved it off but no luck... It was there and after 19 hours of it I had to give in and have Hubby take me to ER. They could see I have a pacemaker, saw Xanax PRN on my med list and I was immediately put into a class of drug seekers. They could also see that I had NEVER been to their ER before even though we had been here for almost a year. The doctor asked me what usually worked for my migraines and I told him that the THREE TIMES in my life I had to go to ER with a migraine Demerol and Phenergan was given and worked. He asked about Nubaine. I told him I had Nubaine while I was in labor with my son and it did nothing.

He went out to the desk and told the nurse to give me some Nubaine. We were right next to the desk so could hear everything going on. The nurse asked why not the Demerol and Phenergan and he told her, "Well, she's just a drug seeker and if we give it to her she will be getting what she wants". So the nurse brought in the Nubaine. I was willing to try it so... 2 hours later nurse asks if it has helped... Uh, no! She came back a little while later and it still hadn't helped and now they are needing the room. I told her I was still in just as much pain as I was when I walked in so, no, I felt as though I had not been treated. (Ok, I know... shame on me!) The third time she came in I knew the doctors had changed shifts and I told her I was no better and could I at least get some Phenergan for the nausea? She came back with a zip lock bag that had 10 - 25 mg Phenergan suppositories in it and practically threw it at me. I thanked her and we left. On the way out I stopped in the restroom and used 2 of the suppositories. At least I was able to sleep off the rest of the headache.

I went to my PCP the next week and he gave me a prescription for Vicodin and Phenergan so I would not have to deal with that again.

the sad thing is in my younger day {23 years} ago i did do the drugs. so now i WILL NOT under any reason take pain meds. i had no proble stoping 23 yr ago but just do not like takeing ANY chances.with pain meds.my faimly doc understands,he has written many rx but i just wont fill. my choice.so if i go to er all i need is fliuds to fell at all better then sh**.

my sons freind is reading over my shourder,i need a tatoo...no medical help ...teenager?

The EMT/Medics are the ones who give me the best treatment. Usually by the time I get to the hospital the rhythm has gone back to normal. My cardio wanted to start me on Flecainide but after ready all the warnings I decided against it, but the Toprol has helped, not all the time, but I am def having alot less attacks. I remember when I first got sick in 2003 I was rushed to the hospital and given Ativan and told to go home I was having a panic attack. I would go to the hospital atleast 1 or 2 times a week, then seeing all the IV marks I was contiinuously accused of doing some sort of drugs, and I have never even touch any. Worse was that my PCP said I had anxiety probs...Finally my doc was on vacation and I was told by the ER to follow up with my PCP, so I went to see the doc covering for him, got a Heart Monitor and found my arrhythmia.

Jacquie

Oh my,how familiar! not only do they see the "head" meds, but when they find out I was orphaned at 7 and no living family save hb, son, and dau that just makes them freudian out! ( Probably more "normal than most people I know). Only this fall did my own husbands family quit thinking it was "all in my head". I really think that passing out at Walmart a few times, which was horribly embarressing in a small town, might have been a good thing because it showed a "real" medical problem. Copy the info from this website, brochure etc, and hand it to ER docs and hope they can read and aren't tooo educated to learn something.:-)