xmas party and in general

gwen

HI all, first time Ive started a topic hope this is ok. last night went to small xmas party with boss at a very nice restaurant. the food was extremely rich (and expensive) but that was his gift to us, so I ordered a stuffed porkchop thinking that would be safe. It was HUGE! so I cut off large pieces and sent around table. I of course can't drink but eveyone else was. Well we got home at 9:30 and by 11 is was soo sick with dia and I think what you refer to as adrenergic reaction, Ive always called it rushing. I don't think I fell asleep until after 3:00. I office manage my husbands business from home, thank goodness, because I feel like I've been hit by a truck. sore and tired. What do you all do with this situation????? We have another one tomorrow night. Ilove the people but its like I'm on speed when I get home. I can't settle down and I'm so sick to my stomach. I hardly ate anything because I was afraid of gut blood pooling. I just feel like such a party pooper Ive missed two parties because I didn't have the energy to go and was afraid of the aftermath. Do any of you have some special coping methods fo all of this?:-)

Maybe push alot of water or club soda, eat a little carbs, like a piece of bread and then just eating a small portion(which is probably what you did anyway). Could be that something was up with the pork? I can't handle rich foods, especially creamy sauces.

What was it stuffed with?

Edited by mom4cem

Hi, I get those symptoms too. Usually my heartrate is high for a little while then I get stomache pains and have to use the bathroom. I don't know if they are connected by any way, but I notice that once the heart gets tachy sometimes, not all the time I get stomach probs that night, or shortly after.

Jacquie

Gracie,

My solution? Go, enjoy. Grin and bear it. Suffer the consequences.

Worst case scenario - bypass the party.

There's no way around it, I cannot tolerate much. I do what I can when I can and accept that this is the way it is (until the magic cure arrives).

I sure can relate to your difficulties as I'm sure many others on this forum can. I figure that I've become one "tough cookie" to put up with feeling bad a good part of the time while trying to keep my difficulties to myself. Who else but you all on this forum could understand that sitting and standing pose a challenge?

God bless everyone and may He give us the grace and strength to get us through the holidays.

Well, there are a couple of things you could try. First, if you know the hostess well you can explain in advance that you are having some health issues and can't wait to attend but hope she understands if you eat just a little. Second, prepare before you go by eating some well-tolerated foods. Stay away from foods that make you sick. The purpose of entertaining is to provide enjoyment for guests not a night in the bathroom so any hostess would respect you declining food. Can you tell I'm a southern girl?

Seriously, have fun but don't make yourself sick. No one expects their guests to eat (however, polite!) if they are going to pay severely for it. Relax, drink what you can and eat what you can. If anyone asks why you are not eating more simply state that you are having some health issures and don't have much of an appetite right now. That should be enough. If they press on, change the subject, "So, how do you kow so and so?" Good luck and have fun!

Carmen

good luck. i hope that tonight goes as well (or better) than it possibly can!

<_< melissa

Hi Gracie,

Oh boy, I sure can relate to this topic. I can tell you what works for me.

1)If I am having a "bad day" with POTS even before any social gathering, I just don't go. That has happened a lot. My proamatine wears off way before bedtime.

2)The biggest thing that helps me is to leave EARLY no matter if I am feeling fine at the time or not. Sometimes in social gatherings I don't pay enough attention to my body signals, and then crash later. I decide ahead of time with my husband the absolute latest that we will stay. We never stay longer than a total of 2 hours. We just went to the office christmas party this month, and left after an hour. If you don't feel comfortable sharing about your illness, think of another reason ahead of time. You can even say that you won't be able to stay long when you first arrive.

3) I love Carmen's idea. I have used it myself. I have migraines, so if I do not eat my dinner early I will suffer big time. Most social gathering are way too late for me to wait for dinner. I sometimes will eat my dinner at home, and a small amount at the social function. I bet a salad would not mess you up, and eating a salad for a meal seems very acceptable these days.

Hope this helps,

Karyn

For me sometimes Im glad I went - but if Im having a bad day I find that a large crowded table makes me feel worse as I struggle to keep up with the conversation and all that activity under neon lights leaves me spaced out and very dizzy.

Lately Ive been feeling ordinary but I didnt want to miss out on some recent social functions. I went to the first through and felt miserable afterwards - but the last two Ive been to Ive just said 'stuff it!' and ordered a beer to pretend to myself I was well just for a little while.

To my shock I actually felt btter and clearer headed after a few small beers. I didnt push it beyond that but it actually seemed to help.

well second party was last night and it was a blast but I took all my meds early, ate very little

(oh but it was so good). Today limp as a wash rag, hangover( i don't drink ha) But not quite as bad as fri. that should be it till xmas eve at inlaws with 25 over. at least my dog likes me puny, she gets more cuddle time.:-)