Recumbent Bicycle

Jacquie802

My neuro suggested that I try using recumbent bicycle. I don't have the money to join a gym and I think it'd be silly just to join for a bike. Does anyone know if they are expensive to buy? Just trying to figure out how I could get to one!

What is a recumbent bike? My cardio actually suggested an exercise bike to me this week as well. I need to learn my exercise equipment terminology. So what is the difference between a recumbent and/ or stationary bike?

Carmen

I'm not reallly sure how they are different, but I noticed the recumbent bicycle is lower to the ground. I'm guessing it's better for our low blood pressure??

The recumbent bikes I have tried are lower to the ground and you are laying back slightly in the seat and the foot and leg action is not so much up and down as it is on a stationary or regular bike but more out in front--does that make sense? It's like you are half lying down and kicking your legs out in front of you. My problem with the bike was getting up from the recumbent position: I got the usual feeling of dizziness and heart acceleration.

I've got a rowing machine. I like it because I am sitting down and sitting low and it exercises the legs if you do the motion right. I used to row--on the water, during the pleistocine era--in college and kind of remember how it was done: push with your legs first and then pull with your arms when your legs have reached full extension. It helps strengthen the legs if you do it properly and I think thus keeps the blood pooling at bay. I got a rowing machine shipped out to Hawaii from the mainland! Nothing fancy and it cost around $200 which I think is a bargain. It's not exactly something you can keep in the living room and doesn't fold away neatly like a treadmill, but it's something I will use and doesn't collect dust and that's the main thing.

India

I got mine from ****'s Sporting goods, for 149$ including shipping. Mine has built in heart rate monitoring, timer, etc. It's the exercise that I can stick with better than any other.

Folks are correct, you can often get nearly new exercise items on eBay, at garage sales, and/or in the local paper's "for sale" section--and pay considerably less. We sold our motorized treadmill for 100$, and it was originally much more than that and in very good shape. I bought my Pilates machine used for 100$, and the one I have sells for nearly 4x more than that.

Nina

Hi guys again! I found a nice quality recumbent bike for $110.00 OR if you have it shipped it would be about $148.00. If you wanna know where PM me. :(

Jacquie

Hubby found my recumbent bike at a thrift store for $15! Needless to say - he bought it on the spot. I have had it since 2002 and it recently moved to a storage shed because of some house remodeling but I really like it.

$110 or $148 shipped sounds very reasonable though, we had priced several and at that time couldn't find one under $200.