A Pacemaker's A-Coming

taylortotmom

Hi, guys. Had my follow-up with my cardio today and we have decided to go ahead and put in a pacemaker. It certainly will not solve all my problems but may at least help with my brady if nothing else. Having major blood pressure issues despite exhausting every medical treatment. The beta blockers I have taken to help control my tachy-brady can no longer be taken because my pressure is so incredibly low. So, now I'll have my port on my left and a pacemaker on my right. I'm going to look like a Christmas tree with all my wiring! The surgery should take place around the second week in Jan.

Carmen

Carmen,

I love your humor about having the port and the pacemaker...

I do hope that this will help you...please keep us posted as you get closer to surgery.

I also read your post earlier (I"m a bit behind) about your husband and the hard time you are having emotionally right now. I wanted to let you know I was thinking about you and wondering how you were doing.

Even those of us who are usually 'up' have our days! I'm having a few in a row too...so it's okay...we're here and you don't have to 'filter' how you feel.

Emily

I hope thishelps and will be thinking of you. My hub got one last year for a surprise and he felt so much better I asked the dr if i could have one! He was a changed man. he said he didn't realize he had felt so lousy. i have tacky so no I couldn't have one.I'm really quite jealous and it was done so quikly! I hope you have the same results, truly. For that matter I wish this whole pots thing could so easily be cured!

Hi, Carmen: Hope that your Christmas gift will be just what the doctor ordered. I also have a pacemaker and a mediport. Be very careful where the doctors place the pacemaker. If you are right handed the pacemaker generally goes on the left. However, I guess the portacath complicates things. Here is some advice:

1. Make sure the hospital does not use reprocessed single use equipment. A recent article in the Washington Post reports on this practice in a number of hospitals to save money. In a few weeks I will be having my pacemaker moved so that I can undergo radiation. I am going to be sure my doc knows that I only want NEW equipment used.

2. I would strongly urge you to talk to your doctor about getting a pacemaker that has two leads--atrial and ventricle. Then, in case in the future, they need to pace your ventricular node, you do not need to get a new pacemaker.

3. Make sure that you get a "rolls-royce" pacemaker--one that is extremely rate sensitive. If possible, you should ask for a pacemaker made by St. Judes. Hospitals frequently use different brands to save money. I have been told by a famous place in Rochester that is is the case. Hospitals negotiate with pacemaker companies to get the best buy.

4. Follow carefully their instructions about not moving your arm/shoulder blade for a certain number of days. Pacemaker leads when they are first placed can be moved very easily.

5. Finally, good luck with your pacemaker!

Lois

• 3 weeks later...

Carmen,

I'm sorry and congratulations all in one <_<

I really hope the pacemaker helps with the brady. I have brady episodes and they scare the **** out of me, so I imagine the pacemaker will give you some relief there. At least your accessories are implanted so you don't have to spend money on jewelry? Sorry, that was an attempt at humor. :P

I hope your christmas was POTS free and fun, and I wish the same for your New Year!

Cheers,

Lauren