Sharp, shooting pains in left side of head?

Every once in a while, I get sharp, shooting pains in the left side of my head. They only last for a quick second, but they are scary. I don't get them very often, but when I do, it seems like they come and go all day. I've had an MRI that came back clear. You know, I'm so sick of symptoms that could be a stroke or heart attack. I can't be running to the ER every couple of weeks.

Anyone else have anything like this?

I have a neuro appt. on the 21st. I will mention this to him.

Hi.. do you get migraines??

I know I do.. and i get these pains when I'm about to get a migraine or have one...I dont always have pain with my migraines.. but aura's and lots of visual disturbances..does that sound weird??

But yeah.. talk to your neuro about it..

hang in there!

I had that several years ago, and when I searched on the internet I found a site that talked about an ice-pick headache on one side. Mine were quick, stabbing and they could happen one after another or come and go all day. I started to notice a pattern more or less that they occured in the winter, and usually during barometric changes.

I went to my neuro and he checked me over and that is exactly what he told me. Ice-pick headaches. He offered me indocin but I never took it and eventually by late winter early spring they stopped.

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=Arme1uD7a29MwbQ0...a/ice_picks.htm

Hope this link helps a bit. Not one that I read several years ago, but describes it.

Edited by mom4cem

I get (very sudden) shooting pains in my head too (sometimes the left side, sometimes the right). I'm pretty sure that mine are connected to migraines, especially since the last time I got one was when I was studying under a bright light. When this happens, sometimes it helps me to close my eyes and take deep breaths for awhile.... but I know that sometimes we're in situations where this isn't completely possible.

For me, those stabbing pains are usually a sign that a bigger migrain is on its way. Everyone's body is different though. I've never heard of that ice headache diagnosis before.... that's really interesting.

I get some many kinds of headaches, I really don't know where one begins and the other ends. I get those shooting pains often and it is very scary. I always think I'm going to have a stroke when it happens.

Most of my pain always occurs on my left side, although I do get a little on my right sometimes.

I'm glad to learn about the icepick headaches. Hopefully that is all that these are.

Yes i get them too. I had some yesterday actually.

They are really horrible. Its so sudden and such a violent pain that i tend to scream out loud which can scare people around me and be a bit embarrasing. I also sometimes see flashing lights with them too. I have seen a neurologist and its migrane related he says (which is POTS related). Good luck with your vist to the neuro! its best to get these things checked out :)

I had them a while back, and my PCP told me that it was bells palsy caused my a viral infection. She put me on some meds and it has let up. She told me that it could take up to a year to go away. Dont know if its the same thing but I would talk to my doc about it. Vanessa

Every once in a while, I get sharp, shooting pains in the left side of my head. They only last for a quick second, but they are scary. I don't get them very often, but when I do, it seems like they come and go all day. I've had an MRI that came back clear. You know, I'm so sick of symptoms that could be a stroke or heart attack. I can't be running to the ER every couple of weeks.

Anyone else have anything like this?

I have a neuro appt. on the 21st. I will mention this to him.