Exercise

Goblin

I found yoga to be great for toning, it's low impact, and very relaxing. I've also done simple toning exercises for the legs and abs (although since having a baby I haven't done anything for lack of time!). I really need to get back into it, I'm sure it would help me feel better!! My doctor also recommended swimming, since the body doesn't get overheated in the pool, so that may be a good thing to try.

i don't ever swim, unless it's in a lake or river. i hate public pools. maybe it's the chlorine i can't stand. i actually haven't been swimming at all in over 2 years. so, no, i haven't tried it for the POTS, although i thought about it recently. i think i'd need to find a partner to go with, though, since i'm kind of paranoid about doing it alone...

Thanks for the advice everyone. I tried walking today and it was not terrible. I want to start swimming, but I need to find someone to come with me for "just in case". I read that one of you lifts weights- be careful with this. My cardiologist told me never to lift any weights because it puts too much strain on the heart.

You may not care at this point, but this is what I do on a daily basis. It's good for my mind if nothing else. At least I feel like I'm living. FYI I used to belong to a fitness center before all this started.

AM since my BP is relatively low and my blood is not circulating great at this point, I drink some water (kept by my bed) then do floor stretching exercises, and VERY MILD weight lifting WHILE LAYING DOWN. I also use an ab tape to keep my abs in shape. The ab stuff is all low to the ground. These exercises help get me going. After breakfast, I walk around inside the mall near my home 3 times. After dinner, I walk around my building complex twice. Exercising has NEVER made me feel good or more energetic like it does other people. I do it anyway knowing that I'm being pro-active instead of "taking this illness sitting down". Now, whether or not I'm making myself worse... I found that I was deteriorating even more when I did nothing, right after I quit my job. As far as I'm concerned, unless I'm totally incapacitated, I'll always push myself. That's my personality. One word of caution ... I don't necessarily feel great when I'm walking around. I might have my weird anxiety, lighheadedness, sick kind of feeling, but I do the walking anyway. I also wear a medic type badge around my neck that I composed (when I remember) in order to tell people who I am and who to contact in case I keel over. Also, I went with my husband at first.

The routine really helps me feel that I was doing some good because I could hardly walk from one end of the room to the other without being messed up before I started exercising. I also do better with a routine. I can definitely do more than when I started, though I tend to try to do too much. But I worked up gradually and asked my doctor first. I would recommend it if your doctor says okay.

Nancy

Thank you for the suggestions. I walked a lot today but I feel very symptomatic now. That is good that you have a regular routine, that is what I am trying to work towards now. I also feel better when I am doing something rather than laying around. I hope you did not take offense when I made the comment about weight lifting... I just did not want you to put yourself in any dangerous situation. Take care and thanks again;) -Stacey

I don't lift weights like body builders, just 10 pounds or so to keep my arms and back in shape. Nothing I do would qualify as a true "aerobic" workout. I keep track of my pulse, and when it starts zooming, I slow down, or stop. As long as I do this, I don't seem to be symptomatic.

I also started out slowly, adding more minutes and activities weekly. First week I only walked maybe a half mile. Next week added another 1/2, etc.

Heck, who needs an aerobics class when I can get my pulse rate up to 120 just by getting up in the morning and taking a shower - LOL!

Heck, who needs an aerobics class when I can get my pulse rate up to 120 just by getting up in the morning and taking a shower - LOL!

:blink: That's what I always say too - I get my exercise just from walking to the kitchen....

Actually usually I try to do a little walking outside. Sometimes I hit the pool and walk in the pool or do leg exercises. I find swimming laps shoots my heart rate up too much. I also try to do some toning exercises as I'm lying down in front of the tv.