MRI side affects

Mrs. Glass

I went Wed. and had my MRIs and it took an hour and a half. The problem is when it was over, I felt horrible. My eyes were very blood shot, and any light would hurt my eyes and it seemed like the littlest of sounds just set my symptoms off. Even the sound of the fan. By the time that I got home, all I could do was to go into my bedroom and lie down and close the door to make it as dark as possible and try to drown out the noise. I felt horrible for the rest of the day. Today I go for my EMG, and I hope that it doesnt do the same thing. My Neurologist is actually coming in on a Saturday just to see me and to do the EMG, because he could not see me on the day of my MRIs. That is dedication. I think that I will keep this Doctor. He actually seems very concerned with my medical problems, and seems to want to get to the bottom of this. Well if anyone has bad reactions to an MRI please let me know, that way I wont think that I am just weird or something. Mrs Glass

I know that when I have had MRI's I completely freak out both in the machine and afterwards - I put it down to being such an unnatural thing, and it's so loud and scary in there, and with that plastic cage on your head. I hate them.

God knows what they could do to you, with all that magnetic energy being shot around everywhere. I wonder if it has any effect on the metals in your blood at all?

I've had more MRI's, CAT scans and other tests than I can recall-and I've never had a problem afterward. However, if you're typically afraid of such tests (I'm not), then you might have been cranking out lots of adrenaline and really stressed out your body. Or, perhaps you ARE having a reaction to the test itself. I tried looking up info for you, but all I could find was about allergic reactions to contrast.

Nina

Side effects are apparently not all that uncommon. My good friend has had two MRIs. In both instances, she had disconcerting cardiac issues - raised BP and low circulation for the subsequent 24 hours. Resolved with time. They say there are no side effects, I think becuase when patients call in to report them, the doctor says "I've never heard of a side effect like that before." Not surprising. I was told that by physicians regarding the POTS issues, too. Also, I have an acquaintance who does research specifically on MRIs (biomedical engineer) and he has lots he's not saying about the risks and dangers of MRIs. When I asked him if there were any, he just looked at me. He's not allowed to talk about it because of the research he's doing. So for what all that's worth... He did advise me never to have an MRI unless it was absolutely necessary. (He doesn't know about my health issues, assuming I'm "normal.") Hope this helps.

I am very claustrophobic so just the term freaks me out. During my first one I told the Dr who ordered it that I was claustrophobic and he told me, "Oh, you will be fine; it's not as bad as you think."

They pulled me out of it 8 times before they got done - and that was just on my shoulder!

The second one - on my head when I first got sick - was on my head and I told this Dr that I had a panic attack the first time. He ordered an open MRI and gave me 1mg of Xanax. I still hyperventilated.

The only upside I have found to having this pacemaker is... NO MORE MRI'S!

Thanks for all of the good replies. At least I know that I am not the only one that has had problems after. I am claustrophobic, but I figured out to close my eyes before I go in and to keep them shut and think of wide open spaces, and that helps. I do know that my heartrate does go up, and I do seem to breathe faster, but I have never felt the way that I did after these two. Thanks again for all of the info. Mrs. Glass

Good Morning, Yes I do like him, he seems very intersted in what is happening to me, and trying to get to the root of the problem. He even came in on a saturday because he could not keep my schedules appointment on Wed. I had the EMG and it was a little painful, but it ruled out MS and Parkinsons. But it did show that I was having problems with one main nerve in my leg. My MRI showed 4 white spots on my brain but no where near to the spot where your autonomic system is. He doesnt know if the spots are from the stroke or something else. He is going to order more tests, but he wants to get all of the blood test results from my PCP to see what tests that have been done on me. So far I do like him better than any other doctor that I have seen. Thanks Mrs Glass. aka Vanessa

I do so hope you like this neurologist. My husband did when he was his patient. And we know there are slim pickins there. Miriam :rolleyes: