Increase In Meds!

Jacquie802

Hi, sorry to be posting too much. Anyhow for the past few weeks I have been getting episodes that haven't occured as often but are alot more severe. (palps and tachy) I left a message for my cardiologist a few days ago and they just called back today and have decided to INCREASE my Toprol from 25mg to 50mg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! a day. I think that is a huge jump! Esp. since my bp stinks. He said that he talked to my neurologist who I see for the POTS as well my vestibular hypofunction, etc. and said that I should be okay, but that he wants me to go see my regular doctor for bp check ups weekly. My questions are...

1. Would insurance cover the cost of a blood pressure reader so I dont have to keep going to the doctors (my insurance is running out soon).

2. I KNOW no one here can tell me what meds to take and/or how, but I am looking for ppl's experiences... if anyone has adjusted their meds. Ex. taking 36.5 mg Toprol instead of 50mg to see how that affects me, it just seems like a 25mg jump is an aweful lot for me, esp with my bp probs.

3. Also does anyone get dizzy spells or notice them more when they are driving??

Thanks for your opinions!!!! Jacquie

Hi,

Without meds I have dizzy spells 24 hours a day. With meds I have them every day but I never counted them because I don't have enough fingers!

When doctors try me on new meds they start with a dosage and then double and triple until I get to the right dosage.

My insurance does not cover the cuffs.

Hi ..

i dont have an advice on Toprol.. I have been on it.. but its been a while and i dont rememerb how i reacted to it...however i can tell you that without meds that I am even more symptomactic.. then wioth out them...

I did want to mention that I dont think that insurance will pay for a BP cuff.. but what was recommend to me by dr. grubb.. was an Omron BP cuff.. I have the automatic kind that measures it.. but you pump it up with the balb-i- thingy-- I got it a t rite Aid..(that is adrugstore here in Pa..) like over 2yrs ago... and it ran about $70 bucks.. i realize that that is kinda pricy (it actually was one of the cheaper ones!!) Its the kind that you use on your upper arm.. not your wrist.. and it is very accurate... mine runs on 4 double A batteries.. and it will keep track of your last 10 BP reading.. it also gives you your HR too...

I find it to be helpful.. help pinpoint things...

good luck.. i hope that you find the right dose of meds for your self!

Linda

Edited by dizzygirl

HI, IM WONDERING IF IT MATTERS THAT YOU SPLIT THE PILL UP BECAUSE IT'S EXTENDED RELEASE...?!? ANYHOW I WENT TO MY PCP TO HAVE MY BP CHECKED AND I HADNT EVEN TAKEN THE 50MG ONLY 25 MG AND MY BP WAS LOW SO I HAVE TO CALL CARDIOLOGIST AND SEE IF I CAN JUST TAKE 36.5 FOR NOW....I DO NOTICE AT TIMES MY HEARTRATE IS LOW, BUT THE TACHY IS OKAY MOST OF THE TIME...