Update on Race Day training

MightyMouse

My body is holding up, although some days barely. Today I had my best run so far, about half the distance of the "race" (I'm only racing myself, really)--and I didn't need to stop once. I did have an asthma problem at the end and took about 10 minutes to walk it off. My knees are ouchie.

I thought I'd also fill you in on what's going on with my body in relation to POTS: my resting heart rate has lowered to the mid-70's, used to be mid-80's. My tolerance of standing is longer. I sleep a bit better as long as it's not a bad pain day. Last week I was able to go several days at a time without pain meds, which is great because it means my gastroparesis isn't quite so bad. It's been nice not to need so much Rx drugs lately, although I am by no means "normal."

Also, I look forward to going to PT now. My next doctor appointment is the 30th (weds of this week) and I plan on asking if it's possible to keep PT for the long haul since I'm clearly always going to have joint instability.

thank you to those who've helped to keep me plugging along...I appreciate all the thoughts and kind, encouraging words.

nina B)

WOW!! you too Nina are an inspiration.. there is no way that I could prepare myself for a race!! i think that it is awesome that you are doing this! I will be thinking of you and rooting for you on race day...

good lcuk MighyMouse!!

Linda

Wow that's great very inspirational! I am trying to exercise to get my heartrate down when at rest so in hopes of reducing the need for the beta blocker. I've been on the blocker for so long I hate to see what would happen if I went off, probably sit in the 100's at rest. B) Have you always been a runner or recently started? Keep on going!! :P

Thanks for the boosts! All cheering is welcome, and it helps me because I think about this place when I run.

I was a distance runner all through high school and in my early twenties. Personally, the running was an escape from a very difficult family life as a teen--for me, it's a bit like meditating, but better. I struggle with my breathing when I meditate and get frustrated at times, but when I run, I seem to be able to keep a clear mind. I don't run fast...unless we're doing the 100 yard dash--I was best at that until the end of my teens. I could run long though--10 miles was a standard distance, and 5 was an easy day.

I restarted running late in my 20's but, it's been many, many years(18?) since I was last able to run regularly; I had problems with mono reactivating and I had to stop exercising in order to recover from the virus and spleen enlargement. I never was able to start again between the exhaustion and my joints giving way all the time. I believe the only thing that's gotten me to this point is the combination of Physical Therapy, a good orthpedic doctor, a great podiatrist, and pain management, along with moral support from family, friends, and all of you.

Nina B)

OMG I'm so tired and sore tonight I can barely keep my eyes open. I only got about 4 hours of sleep last night because I just couldn't fall asleep. I had a very POTSy day, but spent an hour and a half at PT anyway. I fell asleep as soon as I got home, but thankfully Teri woke me up b/c I have so much school work I need to be awake tonight (not last night, but my body wasn't playing along).

Brain fog is killing me--I have 3 papers to finish up this week--one tonight; one for weds night and one for friday. I haven't even started the one that is due on weds. Ugh. I sooooooOOoooOOooo want to go to bed, but I need to finish a bit more before I call it a night. I'll leave the finishing touches for after work tomorrow.

Enough of my ramblings. I thank you for your good wishes even if I can't relish them as much as I'd like tonight. Here's to tomorrow, yes?!

nina

Guest Julia59

Good for you Nina----keep on going.............

Wishing you success in the race, and the strength to continue your training. This is BIG Nina----pace yourself accordingly----- :(

Julie :0)

My orthopedic doctor saw me today and said to go for it on Saturday! :) I have some tendonitis in my knees right now, but he thinks it will clear up when I'm not training quite so hard.

As for the question about training/pt helping my POTS -- there is no doubt in my mind that it's helped me feel much better during the day. Night is still hard because my mind isn't so busy with other things, and pain is a daily issue. No, for me, exercise will not eliminate most of my sypmtoms. I was in fabulous shape all through my childhood and early 20's but was still symptomatic, and did terribly in the heat. My first full out faint was at age 4 or so while in the grammar school auditorium getting my shots. I was runner and a good athlete, and ran competitively into my 20's. I still fainted in the heat and/or came awfully close many many times, and during race season, I slept 10 to 14 hours. I would go to bed right after our dinner, which was at 6pm, and I would often take a short nap when I got home from school or on the bus home from a race.

Exercise is a great thing, but not a cure for most of us. Nina

Good luck with the race! I was never good at running.... :)

I never said I was a "good" runner :D I've never been first, or even 3rd place...and I was last many times in school, I just liked to run. The best finish I ever had for a 5k in school was 4th. I wouldn't call myself a talented runner at all...for Seinfeld fans, I'm kind of like the Elaine dancing episode, but with running :) Well, maybe not quite so uncoordinated, but certainly not "good."

I forgot to tell you that my doctor will only allow a few more visits for me at PT so they can observe how I do without them reminding me what things to do next. Once that's done in a few weeks, I'll have to do everything by myself at home--and I will dearly miss the trigger point releases done by the PT. A friend from on another forum suggested that I get a book on doing trigger point work on oneself, so we'll see how that goes. I ordered the book and am looking forward to seeing if it helps at all.

For me, the biggest impediment to sticking with exercise on a regular basis was 1) pain, spasms and stiffness during and afterward and 2) feeling sickly /flu-ish for the next few days. Generally speaking, I would not slowly build up, but would over-do it and then pay the piper (I know this sounds familiar to many of you who do the same thing).

The next big challenge is not really the 3 mile walk/run/walk, but sticking with the workout routine to keep the benefits going for me long term, and dealing with setbacks (such as the invariable illnesses like sinus infections, etc.) and restarting my routine as soon as I'm ready. In the past, when my routine was broken, I struggled to restart--and it's such a morale drop when restarting and realizing that I've lost ground and have to take a few steps backward in order to move forward.

Nina

Nina-Good luck! It's most important that you love running above how you place. Have you looked into hiring a trainer full time to work with you each week or every other week? Along with getting somebody to do the trigger release that helps you so much. It just sounds like the training support has helped you so much, it would make sense to continue working with experienced trainers so you continue to progress.

Do let us know how you do!!

hoping you're already asleep/resting so that you'll get this too late & thus after the fact but....

good luck and happy running, walking, strolling, & STAYING WARM tomorrow!

i'll be thinking of you (and the rest of the gang doing the race with you).

:) melissa

p.s. not sure if i ever told you after you posted it, but i LOVE the t-shirt you made :blink:

Thanks Melissa! (and everyone else too!!). I'm about to leave the house and am a bit nervous. It's really, really cold here--26 degrees (farenheit). I've got a bunch of layers on so I hope that's enough to keep me comfy.

I'll post when I get home to let you know if I finish. :) Oh, and I love the t-shirt too. Nina