Low Blood Pressure

Jacquie802

Has anyone else noticed that when they have a tachy episode that their usually low blood pressure sky rockets??? Why is this??? Then it goes back down a little while after the episode.

I get this and am guessing that when you get tachy your heart races, your anxiety builds that can raise b/p as well as I would guess that to keep you from fainting the b/p goes up. I have read of some that their b/p drops during an episode of tachy.

Hopefully someone has an explaination, mine is not very good.. :huh:

i've had things go in every direction at various times...in general my autonomic nervous system is just off kilter and that means anything & everything seems to be possible...fun, fun, fun.

generally though my high BP spikes are immediately following super low drops....sort of a rebound effect of sorts. but there have been other times occassionally where my BP is high as well. the exception rather than the rule (for me) but others have a variety of experiences. i don't tend to have the discrete tachy spells that some have but rather have symptoms to some degree 24/7 with various degrees of exacerbation, often but not always correlated with trying to be more upright (including sitting).

:huh: melissa

I have this too. My doctor says it is because my autonomic system is so unstable ( Mayo said the same thing).

Anyway he said when most people stand their vessels in their legs constrict, because we are always vasodilated our vessels just start to spasm causing the blood pressure readings to be all over the place. Our brains and nerves are just out of synch with each other. All part of POTS. B)

Dawn

Ahhhh another lovely thing to thank POTS for!!!!!!!!! It's weird though because when the EMT's / Paramedics come no one even knows what POTS is!!! SO I don't even try to explain it to anyone, even the hospitals around here barely know. That's why I go to Boston for all my medical treatment, since it's only a half hour away when there is no traffic!

Guest Finrussak

For me, the outrageously high BP during/after a tachy episode has been correllated with adrenaline surges, even when Im not particularly upset and take it as " eh, here we go again". The problems I have with taking BP meds is that I cant do BB's,or calcium channel blockers, and ACE's make dysauto worse. The ARB's are supposed to be better and for a short while I was on teeny tiny doses to prevent really bad high bp's butDrs decided to wean me off and so far the episodes havent provoked what they used to ( one trip to ER had a HR of 195 and BP of 240/125 and I was well past 45, previous/ concurrent history of debilitating illness) It also showed a rhythm disturbance so the paramedics injected ADENOSINE...NEVER again will I ever allow that ...ever...it STOPS YOUR HEART B) and you FEEL it...then it restarts as the chemical leaves your system but it feels like an eternity ( really a few seconds) and all the while its like slamming the brakes after going 60 mph, and massive strangling chest pressure that literally took my breath away!!! plus the experience of seeing the portable EKG machine in flatline :P ...again...NEVER!!!!

I have been told that The high BP episodes puts me at a very high stroke risk and heart problems....

BTW the blood/urine tests is what showed the sustained adrenaline increases, as well as irregular dopamine, norepinephrine and aldosterone( the last closely tied to BP regulation) and others I cant recall.

My neuro- who is familiar with familial dysauto only as he did residency at NYU in that dept, -feels that its "overkill", my body trying to hard to correct something and going overboard when a little neurohormone would do.Then those higher than necessary chemicals cause a domino reaction causing other chemical to be too high or too low...etc.Then, sensing these chemical messes, the blood vessels constrict/spasm, [as shown with cardiac stress tests ]and chest pain, etc. which adds to the BP.

I am surprised that "greater Boston" is so ignorant...the entire geographical area has one of the highest concentrations of Med Schools, research universities,top hospitals, etc that for the most part work with and send students/residents and share fellowships and grant monies with institutions in the entire area to investigate a wide range of health problems. What does it say for those of us in a "dry" area if the environs near Boston is "clueless" about dysautonomias.?!?

Boston is great, it really is. However, the hospitals in Plymouth, MA aren't as great obviously. Usually when I tell someone I have POTS they get this disturbed look on their face, lol. So I dont even bother anymore I tell them I have low bp, but then when my heart goes tachy my bp skyrockets....I love the doctors I have in Boston, my neurologist is the best out there. It's the ER doctors that don't understand, I have an awesoem cardiologist in Plymouth who is the first to even suspect POTS, so I guess it really depends on the ER docs and whether or not you are lucky enough to have one who has experienced a person with POTS.

• 1 month later...

I have just started monitoring my bp...although I know I go tachy...

I caught this one at 10 at last night

After 10 min rest........... bp 96/54 pulse 64

after 3 min standing........ bp 124/83 pulse 76

after 10 min standing... 2 errors & 113/77 pulse 80

After 12 min.................104/65 pulse 85.

felt yucky....went to bed.

My understanding is that normal is below 120/80 and that when you stand your upper reading should be the same or decrease slightly and your lower reading should increase slightly...I went over nomal and then it started to come down but my pulse kept heading upward..is that weird?? I did not pass out or anything but I felt yucky..Who knows....

Right ankle and arm hurt and had headache & nausea afterwards till about 11pm.

I also got one right out of the shower when I felt bad of course... that was 120/80 w/ a pulse of 100. So I laid down for a few minutes and then got 107/66 w/ pulse of 70...whacky?? I felt yucky after that too.

Edited by hmichel

Normally my pressure drops during tachy (around 80/60 and below) but sometimes I have crazy "surges" (I call them) where my bp goes up with my heart rate (hr ~120' to 170's; bp 130/90 to 170/110) during these times I actually feel like there's an electrical current running through my body, I'm pretty sure it's an adrenaline dump into my blood stream or something similar...where was I going with this: Oh, yes, so maybe that's what's happening with you.

Does your bp always elevate? If so, how high? How do you feel when this happens, dizzy and out of it, or other? (I'm just curious, I'm not a doctor)

-Lauren

Edited by Dizzy Dame

Hi Lauren,

Usually what happens is that my bp drops during the episodes, but the last few times they were there my hr was around 200bpm and my bp was 180/120, I forget what the bottom number was, but it was around there. I usually feel "out of it" before anything happens, so I know something isn't right. My Cardio thinks my bp bottoms out and my hr goes up to get the blood to circulate to the brain, etc. Then after all of this my bp drops low again. Weird, huh?!

Hi Lauren, I do get shaky and sweaty even though I am cold!!!!! This is crazy that you get it as well, i really thought I was alone on this one! Hopefully they know what's going on with us at Vandy when this happens, I would like to see what they have to say. Good luck with your appointment next week and let us know how you make out!

:unsure: Jacquie