Blue hands in the Cold?

baby_boy

Hmm..that's interesting. My hands tend to turn red as do my feet. I have always considered blue to be a sign of hypoxia....that's just me though.........

if it's something new or you haven't yet talked about it with your doc, i would do so.

changes in coloration under the fingernails can SOMETIMES correlate with anemia but that doesn't generally change with temperatures.

more often changes in color in the extremities are related to circulation...pooling, raynaud's, etc....

:huh: melissa

Check with your doc. However, I agree w/ Sunfish that changes in color based upon temperature are more likely a circulatory problem and not due to the blood's ability to carry oxygen (iron allows blood to oxygenate properly). Those with poor circulation can have pale extremeties, raynauds can cause all sorts of color changes like blue, purple and red.

Nina

I get it due to Reynauds. I also had it during my tilt test- when the room was very warm. One side of my body turned icy cold and the nurses had to get a hot water bottle for my hands as I was shivering with cold.

But then I started convulsing, so I don't know at what point the coldness turned into the weird fit like stuff that happened B)

I think anyone does go blue with cold if they're outside and it's freezing. If where you are is anything likeOXford, it is so cold you feel like you're going to actually DIE with cold. This place is colder than Scotland ever was!

Saying that, when I fainted last year out in the street in St Andrews due to flu, at the onset of what I now know for sure was POTS, the reason an ambulance was called (aside from the fact that twice when I tried to stand up I fainted AGAIN and completely lost consciousness) was cos my lips were blue and my skin had become sort of transparent and blue-ey.

But again, I was outside and it was cold.

Yeah ive noticed my hands go white, and have been known to go red. Ill discuss with my doc although he will prolly say its nothing......again. I cant see it being circulation problems, although my friend used to get it and his was down to poor circulation in the cold. My brother has also had it, so i think its common in cold weather.