Stopped Topamax

DSM3KIDZ

dayna,

please talk to your doc ,and how long did you try it?

i was on on topamax for 3 weeks did not think it helped at all but like over night my body ajuted to small dose buddy and kids noticied headaced not has mad or has many. my doc anolages any drugs im more senstive to so i not alway not the 'medcal recmdid dose' to be benifetioal to me. i take 25 mg. if i for get to take migane nodote.

i well keep you in my prayers.

Guest Mary from OH

Dayna,

How long did you stay on the 12.5mg dose before you went up to the 25mg dose? Were you taking it at night? When you added the 2nd dose did you add it to the 1st 12.5mg dose or did you split it, 12.5mg AM and 12.5mg PM? What are the symptoms that are bothering you the most?

I had to try to go on Topamax two times. I was unsucessful the first time. I thought I would DIE from all the symptoms.... But, when I broke the doseages down VERY small and kept them at that dosage until I was comfortable with the side effects before I increased. And, I always increased my PM dose first. I DID IT!! I went all the way up to 200mg. My current neuro, who is a gem, has me on 150mg, which is the perfect dose for me.

Please feel free to email me privately if you'd like additonal support or like to talk in further detail. Topamax can be a real lifesaver.

Mary

My body is soo sensitive. I was on 12.5 for almost 2 weeks and with side effects I still tried to up it to 25mg on day 10. I only took it once a day.

My main side effects were fatigue and zoned feeling and increased nausea. I also couldn't eat which is the main reason I stopped because when I don't eat I'm even more nauseated. The getting up in the morning is near impossible since I feel like I have the flu everyday and with the added fatigue and zoned feeling I was not fighting to get out of bed which was causing more depression and it was like a vicious circle.

I wish I could find something that I can tolerate. I had headaches on it and since I stopped they never went away. At least not yet.

If I consider trying it again I will send you a message and maybe you can give me some pointers.

What were your side effects? Everytime you increased the dose did they get worse? Do you still get migraines? I get about 1 migraine a week and my doctors think since my nausea is soo bad it could maybe be cvs and we were going to see if topamax helped with the nausea.

So who knows.... I go to my G.I. today and I'll see what he says

Thanks

Dayna

Guest Mary from OH

Dayna,

Having the dosage all at one time may be too much for you. Also, 2 weeks may not be a long enough period. When I started, I was taking a fourth of the 25mg pill beginning in the PM. I stayed at that dosage until I was comfortable to go up. Like I said, I balanced my increases, AM and PM. If there was ever an uneven dosage, the higher dosage was in the PM. Everything MUST be done SLOWLY!!

My migraines are VERY SEVERE. I have what's known as intractable migraines. I got to the point where I was (am at times) having them EVERY DAY. I am now on time-released morphine and MANY preventatives (about 6 different ones). I also use Phenergan as my anti-nausea med.

My daughter has BOTH regular migraines and abdominal migraines (CVS). She takes Propanolol.

Please feel free to PM me!!

I am now a VERY STRONG believer in utilizing SEVERAL preventatives in combination to prevent migraines. It is VITAL to find the correct combination for YOU. But, there are also some tried and true drugs that seem to work for "most people" that are worth trying. Also, you need to make sure you have good abortives and good rescue meds as well. But, I truly believe your MOST important meds, by far, are your preventatives!!

Good luck and do see if you can give Topamax another try. Just go slowly and use SMALL doses and break it up AM/PM.

Email me anytime.

I strongly agrea with mary on going slow and talking with doc.topamax has helped me greatlly with migras,but like i said i body did not need the 150 mg to afetive it need only 100mg one time at nite and i did that slowly.i still get headace but no migreas BIG BIG differacice.for months i was on 25 mg and that was all i needed.that was years ago. so now i take the 100 mg.

hope you start felling better.