Soda

Jacquie802

Just curious in alot of posts i see that ppl avoid sodas and drinks with bubbles in it...why is this????

Jacquie, I'm not sure where you're getting that from about soda. I know many of our members try to eat a healthy diet and sugary drinks aren't all that healthy. Also, some who have reflux don't tolerate acidic foods and beverages--sodas are acidic--so it's not about the bubbles exactly, and more about aggravating gi problems. Some avoide sodas because of caffeine...and some avoid diet beverages because of their beliefs about synthetic sweeteners. Personally, I drink plenty of diet ginger ale and club soda because I'm trying to watch my calorie intake and Splenda doesn't seem to bother me at all.

Nina

well for me personally.. i cannot handle the caffeine in pop..(lots of tachy and potsy stuff..) and I cannnot handle the bubbles in my stomach/intestines.. b/c the bubbles cause me to have a stomach ache.. and keep me running to the bathroom .. I havent drank pop/soda in like over 3-4 urs. now simple b/c for me my body cant handle it..even though I do miss a nice big glass of ice cold cherry coke now and then!

Edited by dizzygirl

I always keep some Cokes in the fridge because sometimes that's the only thing that will settle my stomach if I'm nauseated and sometimes that is the only thing I can keep down for a meal.

As for caffeine... coffee is the most effective med I have but I know there are others here that can't tolerate it at all.

Gayla, me too. On a bad day, coffee is my best friend; and if I can't get a coffee, a fully caffienated diet coke and some salty chips will do the trick.

Nina

Thanks guys for the info. I have had no caffeine whatsoever for the past 3 years, no chocolate, coffee, or soda. My heart rate soars with that stuff. Even the decaf bothers me.