difficulty sitting up?

dianaD

Hi everyone,

Does anyone else have difficulty sitting up straight (as in a stool, for example)? My symptoms are terrible unless I can sit back and relax my abdominal muscles. Does this happen to anyone else?

I also have discomfort around my diaphragm area, much like there is a water balloon in there. It goes away when I lie down.

I also have difficulty breathing that gets much worse when I sit up for a while.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Diana

Hi I get the same exact symptoms, it should be interesting what causes it.

Yes, exactly the same bt it's not my abdominal muscles so much as my back muscles which cause me more pain. today was torture in the university library- I popped pills all day long to get me through just sitting upright in their chairs. I NEED to be able to recline and I physically can't in their chairs. I'm due another chair but it STILL hasn't come :(

Hi

I have never studied at a desk at home. Since childhood, I have studied while sitting or reclining in bed. My dad used to always think I was wierd to study in bed. In retrospect, it may have been an early telltale sign of POTS. Since my pregnancies, I am so much worse. Now despite tons of medication for POTS, I need to elevate my legs and walk around periodically to get through 45minutes at church or a movie. Driving more than 30-45 minutes is not possible because I have to sit straight (not elevate my legs). I am grateful for having the above function though. I know it could be worse.

Karyn

I have the same troubles. I can't even sit up at the dinner table for more than a few minutes. I am able to sit at the table if I am able to sit "Indian style- with my legs crossed" (I know that isn't PC but I couldn't think of another way to describe it-sorry) When I was still able to work I would have to sit with one leg bent underneath me. If I can't recline then I prefer to sit on the floor, with my legs pulled up in front of me and I HAVE to have something behind my back.

Guest Finrussak

Since my total condition has worsened with MBTI and increases of OI etc I often cannot tolerate periods of sitting over 15 minutes BUT I also cant sit forward or put pressure on my abdomen ANY time!!! Apparently for me it is NOT muscular or pooling in legs (which sitting cross legged helps) or diaphragmatic but probably the solar plexus. Those nerve tangles including the vagal plexus are so inflamed OR damaged that I even have to partially recline while traveling in a car. This would be a big problem driving except that due to brain damage to the visual and frontal cortices making it hard to drive, watch the view around me, and know where to go and how hard to press the pedals; have all made me unable to drive for about 5 years now!!! A typical " cant walk and chew gum" neurological example!!!

Also my MRI's have shown varicose veins within the pelvis and abdomen leading them to think that is where I pool blood and sitting/leaning over/crouching/ bending over all make this worse by impeding venous return. That plus the blood pools/bloating or positional pressing upon the vagal plexus. If I lean or wear tight belts or even compression pantyhose, I brady down to the low 40's ( vasovagal) which then rebounds into a severe tachy episode after my body over corrects.

Apparently there are many reasons for not being able to sit upright!!!

( my 20 yr old daughter is well, has no apparent dysautonomias, etc was a state champion gymnast - and still in great shape exercise and flexibility wise-and she has always "felt better" reclining while eating and/or studying. She never complained that other positions are uncomfortable...just that she likes reclining better...hmmm)

Guest Finrussak

MRI s and CATS show generalized inflammation in various parts of my abdomen along with varying degrees of swollen lymphoid tissue and Ive been dx several times with "lymphadenomitis"...of abdomen...which is fancy for swollen glands inside :D . As palpation (pressing) on the area of my gut central/ above the navel, in epigastric areas but not where the bottom edge of stomach is, sx are provoked...so the "best Guess" the various Drs have made is inflammations of and around the vagal plexus nerves... ( and the funny thing is Ive heard this from all specialties withoutn them having spoken to one another...when many say the same thing, one starts to beleive it) PLUS I have also documented nerve damages in various areas ( brain/central as well as abdominal and peripheral that waxes and wanes with MTBI sx but never goes away)...so again putting together the inflammatory picture plus the multiple nerve damages/inflammations...ends up with that guess.

Ive kinda accepted this as the best explanation for now.

The nurse at my gyn's office asked me whether I had circulatory problems. She said that she could tell by the way I was sitting: hunched over with my legs crossed. She said that her brother had a congenital heart defect and used to sit the same way. She said that it boosts blood supply to the brain.

God, that's exactly like me! and also Karyn's comment on studying in bed- I do that even now, and have done it since just before I began fainting age 12! I'm having tp push myself so hard to use the university library. I can't take books out so I have to sit in there.

THat's SO odd you both mention that- I never even thought about it before- either the way I sit or the fact I study in bed!

Persephone,

I know what you mean about libraries. I LOVE the ambiance of libraries, but hated to be confined to a desk/chair setup. I used to go to the local law library just so I could study on one of their couches. I also would nap too! They never harrassed me, thank goodness.

I hope maybe you could discover a library with a couch?

Karyn

I can't stand for very long, but sitting in the pew at mass just about does me in. I can't get up and down all thru mass so I half sit half kneel. I m always short of breath but never put it together. even as a kid I had trouble sitting straight. Slouched. If I try to stand straight within 5 min i 'll pass out. :-)

I have trouble sitting very straight due to the muscle weakness related to my POTS. I also have difficulty breathing when sitting up or standing up. I still have it when I lie down, too, but not as severe.

Amy

Good Morning Diana, yes since I got sick I can not sit up straight any more. If I do I get the wierdest feeling all over. My Orthopedist told me that I had to practice sitting up straight because of the osteoporosis, but I told him that when I did I felt like I was going to pass out. He told me that I will end up with a hump. I know that but what is a person to do? Cant win for losing huh! Just another wierd symptom I guess. Mrs Glass

Hi everyone,

Does anyone else have difficulty sitting up straight (as in a stool, for example)? My symptoms are terrible unless I can sit back and relax my abdominal muscles. Does this happen to anyone else?

I also have discomfort around my diaphragm area, much like there is a water balloon in there. It goes away when I lie down.

I also have difficulty breathing that gets much worse when I sit up for a while.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Diana

• 5 weeks later...
:) I have had this since I was five. That was when I had my first "attack". I was in a library at the time. I have always studied in bed too. I hate desks!!!! (-: I also hunch over a lot. I bought a brace to help my self not end up with a hump but I can only stand to wear it when I am sitting reclined... Edited by hmichel