Stress echo anyone?

StaceyYount

Hey all,

Well at my last visit with the traitor he was a bit worried because my hr was so high and the fact that I am having so much chest pain and it is new. So wednesday I am scheduled for a Stress echo. I have read up on it and it scares me because from what i understand they give you a medicene that will acclerate your hr so they can do the test without you having to walk on the treadmill. Walking on the treadmill si not possible but I am worried about the test. I guess if I tell them to go slow it might not take to much of the med to get my hr were they want it. But imagine a huge crash is going to come after. Anyway has any one had this test? Any suggestions on how to prepare and what to expect would be appreciated.

On a happier note, the bear that I had crocheted for him he gave to his daughter who has cerebal palsy. When I saw him on Wednesday he said that she sleeps with it every night and the other day they had to go to a doctor who she thought was scary and she took the bear with her! That made me happier than anything I had heard in a long time!

Ok sorry so any help or suggestions I am a little scared.

Stacey :-)

Hi,

I had this test done once and I found it one of the easiest one to do because they did not push me at all. When I told them that I was starting to feel presyncopal they stopped the test. I was on my medication and they did not get any of their medication.

Hi Stacey,

I had had a regular stress test on a treadmill. It was really hard, i won't lie, but the people who gave it to me knew i had POTS and they let me lie down afterward, and I had fluids and food. I did not have a big crash after the test. I hope that everything goes well for you. It may be uncomfortable, but maybe if you communicate with them, they will be able to give you as little medicine as possible. Also, you might want to see if you can have some IV fluids after the test since you will (i assume) have an IV in already. Just an idea.

good luck,

Kristen

Hi Stacey,

I've had the stress/echo several times, the last time was last month. I've never been injected with anything. Just first they did an echo at rest, then hopped on the treadmill,(scared the tech,my b/p was up and my hr was already tachy)did the test then hop off and jump on the table for another echo. I thought the only time they do the injection is with a thalium stress test where they do x-ray after to check for clogged arteries and that is not a stimulant that I know, it is a radioactive dye,something like that.

You'll do fine! Do what you can and let them know when you can't do anymore. They just want to make sure you have nothing else going on like blocked arteries etc. That's why I had mine done last month, I had chest tightness which was new for me. Everything came back the same as always.

Good luck.!

Hey thanks,

I am not doing the one with the treadmill. The one i am having is a Dobutamine Stress Echo. Dobutamine is a vasoconstirctor according to my paper and they use the medicine to get your hr up instead of the walking. I can't do the walking so they are going to do it this way. Has anyone had this test? But thanks I will ask for some iv fluids after and Jim is going with me so that will help. It is always better when someone else explains your illness too because so many they have not believed me when I was alone.

I don't think anything new is wrong but I guess it is better to get it checked out. I kind of wish they would find something new (not bad) but new like and infection or somehting becuase if it is just the POTS in a worse spell I have to wait until it goes I guess. But I will see a cardiologist and maybe he will have some new fun medicine to try!

Thank again,

Guest Finrussak

I have had the reg stress treadmill, the nuclear med treadmill AND stress echoes...several while on treadmills and one with the drug you mention. They had given me very LITTLE of thedrug via the IV which was already in place due to some other reason....and immediately stopped it. They saw my HR already high and the drug pushed it up more. It caused me no more discomfort than any other OI episode...and other than a slight regurg of the mitral valve, and a mild transient ischemia of the septal wall; nothing to explain the chest pain...other than a guess of transient blood vessel vasoconstriction. I never reacted poorly to the nuclear tracer or the dobutamine. and I react to everything...

Goodluck...maybe youre HR will be high enough and youll have enough chest pain as to not even need it!!! If youre already at the level where theyd like to see it, ask why they still need the drug to provoke whats already happening!! worth the question.

Thank you for the information and I will ask. My husband will be there too and said he would help me explain and I am hoping that my hr is all ready high enough or if they just have me stand up then there you go. :(:D

I am not expecting to find much but guess it is better to be safe than sorry huh?

Thanks again I feel more ok with it now!

Hi Stacey,

I'm sorry I'm so late, but I've been out of this for about a week (I think). I've had the stress test you're having on wednesday. They did an echo before the IV and during the IV. My husband could stay with me, but when I passed out they sent him away and gave me something in my IV to get me back. After that I was exhausted and needed to go to bed when we came home. It took about 4 hours. Hope this helps. Oh and this was the first time my cardio told me there is a very rare thing called POTS that he had heard about, and sent me to a neuro who knows about POTS. Best of luck on your test Stacey!!!!

Corina

Thanks Corina,

Jim is going to go with me and hopefully they will let him stay with me too! He is going to talk to them and make sure they understand so maybe they won't give me too much of the med. Thanks for the information! I am a bit nervous but we will see. But hey that maybe good becuase my hr might be even faster. hahahahaha!

Hope you are ok today!!