Birth control - Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo

yogini

Hi everyone,

I had my Ob/Gyn checkup a couple of weeks ago. I have a lot of PMS symptoms and my period has been irregular over the years. My POTS symptoms are at their very worst right before I get my period. I just got my period and this past week was really bad. I was a paranoid mess and I didn't sleep for 3 nights in a row. These symptoms always seem to vanish when I get my period.

So my doctor wants me to start the pill and I am planning to start on Sunday. I'm nervous about starting it. I'm wiped from last week and I have another busy week coming up. I'm scared that I will have a bad reaction and it will cause a POTS flare up. But I feel like there is never a good time to start and, meanwhile, I am miserable from PMS.

I know that there have been a lot of posts on this topic before. But I would love to hear specifically about what POTS and non-POTS symptoms people got when they started birth control. Do any of you take Ortho Tri-cyclen Lo? I am hoping the side effects will be minimal since it is a low dose. :)

I hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving!

-Rita

Hi Rita,

I went through the same dilemma as you a couple months ago. I decided the only way for me to see what would happen was to try it. In my opinion, it is different for everyone. I did not react well to it and as soon as that happened, i just stopped taking it and after having another period, my body went back to normal.

I had both POTS related and non-POTS symptoms.

My dizziness and feelings of disorientation were much worse. I had VERY bad mood swings (my poor mom can attest to that). And ultimately I ended up being sick to my stomach.

That may not sound like it was worth it when you look at the symptoms, but i have to say honestly that i'm really glad i tried it so that i can rule it out for good. Before I tried it, i would just keep wondering if i was not taking something that could really help me.

I know Sunfish has had a great experience with it, and it has helped her a lot, so I say go for it. Realize you might not react well, but give it a shot. The worst that can happen is that you have to stop.

As for the brand, i was on a different kind of pill than what you will be taking. It was just one hormone level...not the different cycles of hormones like Ortho. Oh, most importantly, if you want to decrease your chances of nausea, it's best to take the pill at night. My friend who was on Ortho told me and i'm really glad she did it, because it's something the doctor told me after the fact.

Good luck! I sure hope it helps you. I would love to get rid of the POTS/period days every month!

Kristen

Edited by JaneEyre9

I've been taking Orthotrycyclin Lo for a few years now. I haven't had any problems. Before I went on birth control, my periods were horrbily irregular and very painful. Now I only menstruate (sp?) for three days and it's very light.

Don't be scared. The active hormone in birth control is progesterone, and it's already present on our bodies. It's not any new chemical that we would have to adjust to.

I hope it goes well for you,

Lauren :)

Rita,

I also have POTS, along with many other problems, possible endometriosis being one of them. I have been on the pill for 11yrs now...I am only 25, but my period problems started right from the start. I take cryselle-28 in continuous cycles (no period for 3-6 months). I still get worsening POTS symptoms/migraines once a month, but it is considerably less severe with the pill.

GOOD LUCK!

Ivy

Hi everyone,

I had my Ob/Gyn checkup a couple of weeks ago. I have a lot of PMS symptoms and my period has been irregular over the years. My POTS symptoms are at their very worst right before I get my period. I just got my period and this past week was really bad. I was a paranoid mess and I didn't sleep for 3 nights in a row. These symptoms always seem to vanish when I get my period.

So my doctor wants me to start the pill and I am planning to start on Sunday. I'm nervous about starting it. I'm wiped from last week and I have another busy week coming up. I'm scared that I will have a bad reaction and it will cause a POTS flare up. But I feel like there is never a good time to start and, meanwhile, I am miserable from PMS.

I know that there have been a lot of posts on this topic before. But I would love to hear specifically about what POTS and non-POTS symptoms people got when they started birth control. Do any of you take Ortho Tri-cyclen Lo? I am hoping the side effects will be minimal since it is a low dose. :)

I hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving!

-Rita

Hi Rita!

I understand your hesitancy!! It can get really scary sometimes to try new meds with all the odd reactions our body's sometimes get.

It's been a while since I've been on any bc pills so I really can't advise one type over another. Personally, the bc pills made me really sick (even the ones with low hormones).Now I'm 37 and have a strong history of stroke in my family and I have migraines so the risk for me does not out weight the benefit.

It's worth trying to see if it will help you. You know your body best so don't be afraid to stop it if you are more miserable on it. I will caution though that some Dr's say it's best not to stop the pill in the middle of the cycle so if you can, try to take it for at least the 3 weeks (4 if all your pills have some level of hormone; sometimes the 4th week is just a sugar pill).

I hope you are able to find something that brings you relief. Please do keep us posted on what happens.

Hello!

I also understand your hesitancies starting a new med. I am on Yasmin which is a different formulation than most pills and I have no side effects. I also take it for 2-3 months in a row to skip my period.

I did try Ortho-Tri -- the regular dosage and the side effect was that I felt "on edge" -- I think it was just too much of the hormones for me. I'm sure the low version would be better for me also.

Hope you find that it works well for you. I find Birth control pills do help me feel better overall during the weeks before my period. (no major change but some better)

Lisa

Hello Rita,

I have pots and I am on Ortho Tri-cyclen Lo. I was put on before I was diagnosed with Pots, but I had terrible cramps and it was extremely heavy.

Even with it, the few days before my period would be the worst. I called Dr. Fouad and she put me on Florinef(?) for the week previous to my period. This has helped sooooo much. Now for the couple of days before and during are my best time of the month, (well besides having to deal with my period in general). I have a check up with Dr. Fouad on Monday, and I am going to check on continueing on Florinef daily, because it does make a difference for me.

A few years back, I was put on a couple different kinds of birth control pills, some made me a lot worse, (period lasts for 2 weeks, a week off, then again) it was miserable, but Ortho Tri-cyclen Lo, seems to be working for me for the cramps and the extreme period.

Everyone is different, but it has worked or working for me.

Good luck :) Hope you the best

Tracy

I started birth control pills many years ago and they have helped tremendously. I was on desogen (a very strong form of bc) and started taking the pill for 10 weeks at a time so i didnt have a period as often. It's wonderful for me!

I am currently on the patch (which is not Ortho-Tri... it's called Ortho Evra) and though the media has been scaring people lately, the FDA has not issued any extra warnings about it, just the regular warnings that all Birth Control meds give out. It gets into my body in a more steady stream and I just love it love it. :) I don't have to worry about 'the pill' being in my stomach if I have IBS or am throwing up or anything. The patch goes right into your blood stream.

Anyway, I've been on BC for years and have found it amazingly successful- my blood volume has increased, my blood pressure has slightly increased (a good thing) and I'm not as anemic anymore since I have less periods.

I hope you have a pleasant experience with your new med. Don't worry too much... just keep a daily journal so you can notice any change in symptoms.

I just wanted to thank everyone for all of their replies, espcially over the long weekend. Your posts encouraged me not to chicken out from trying the birth control pills. I felt really dizzy on Sunday after the first pill for a few minutes. Other than that I've had mild PMS-like symptoms, but so far it has been bearable and I haven't had the major POTS attack I was afraid of. I think I am just paranoid after what all of us have been through with meds. I just hope this continues and that the BCPs will actually start to help my POTS symptoms.

-Rita

hi.. i also have POTS along with a few other things. but thats not the point. i jsut wanted to warn you of taking the ortho tri-cyline or whatever birth control you are on. depending on the medicines you are on it can have a bad effect on POTS(i have learned this by all the research i have done on POTS).. a couple good safe birth controls that you could talk to your doctor about using are seasonale and yasmin. i have tried both of these and they are wonderful. with the seasonale you only have a menstrual cycle every 3 months. which is wonderful! but just look into it and talk with your doctor about it

thanks

brittany

Guest CyberPixie

I felt so much better on the pill (Cilest) but cant use it anymore as I'm at risk of blood clots. So now I suffer every month. The pill can increase your blood volume and blood pressure which is prob why it helped.

Gwendolyn,

My POTS doc and cardiologist didn't prescribe the birth control. I got it from my Ob/Gyn because my period was irregular. The only reason I agreed to take it was because I thought it would help my POTS symptoms. They are so much worse during PMS. If this is the case for you, you may want to talk to your dr. I think there are several people on the board who have benefitted from birth control, but several others who couldn't tolerate. We are all so different... :)

Britany,

I sent you a personal message. Based upon the replies, tt seems like at least a few people on the board have had a good experience with Ortho. I wasn't able to find any research, but would love to get more info if you have it.

Thanks,

Rita

Brittany,

It seems like you're saying Seasonale and Yasmin are "safe" birth controls and that isn't true. Be careful about that.... all Birth Control have warnings about possible side effects.

Some BC pills have lower doses of hormones than other pills, but that doesn't make them "safe." Also, if your GYN recommends it, sometimes it's okay to use other birth control Rx's for 3 months at a time to have your period less often, so Seasonale isn't the only option for that method.

Hi,

I take seasonale right now because of irregular cycles, horrendous cramps, anemia and nasty ovarian cysts. I have tried five different types of bc pills. My favorite was ortho-novum but they stopped making it when they started making orthotricyclen lo. The seasonale is amazing for my gyn symptoms and for my POTS. it takes a month or two to get used to but then it helps so much. my period is very light and there is little pain. I do have some horrible migraines, fatigue, hr issues, nausea, dizziness and aches and pains the week before my period. I have intense bloating for one of the three months of the seasonale cycle (I only get my period 3 times a year!!). I used to get migraines that hospitalized me every time I got my period, but now they are only terrible for 3-6 straight days one every three months (or at least the hormone kind which does not seem to respond well to meds). I do have some sexual side effects (sorry, embarrasses me way more than it does any of you. It is a hard thing to deal with) and I have the terrible bloating. Otherwise, very few problems.

With Ortho Tricyclen lo, I had horrible depression and cried for no reason at all one day every month. Be careful with that one, my friends had it too. I like the three weeks of different hormone levels, it feels more natural. I just wish I could do three months with that style in a row with no period. I think I would try a different kind next time though since it made me insane. At least I knew there was no reason for the depression and I knew I would wake up the next day feeling cheery and happy again, so I just had to lock myself in my home with good movies and wait for it to pass. :-) Good luck (I am sure this is not a problem with most people who take it). I say BC pills=good because they raise blood volume too, so I hope you see benefits soon.

Leah