Flu shot?

Jacquie802

Hi, what is everyone's opinioin about getting a flu shot...has anyone gotten one? if yes, any side effects? is it safe to get one if you have POTS? feel free to add anything else!

I had a flu shot the past 2 years with no problems. (I was working with alot of sick kids in the school district.) This year my internist recommend I not get one, but that my family all gets one. He said 1 in 1000 people still get guillian barre from the shot, and with my nervous system being so overactive it's probably not a good idea.

I recently had an EEG with overactivity on the left side of my brain.

The flu shot is a dead virus so it is relatively safe.

Dawn

I've had the flu shot the past few years with no reaction and no flu for the year. I researched a lot last year before getting one because I was on Florinef.

However, I had one this year along with a Pneumonia shot. One or the other gave me a high fever and body aches for about 24 hours. I actually think it might have been the Pnuemonia shot because it was red and swollen and spread across my upper arm.

I just know that my body couldn't handle getting the flu.

~Roselover

My endocrinologist reccomeneded I get the flu shot, my internist thinks I couldn't handle it if I had a reaction, and my POTS doctor wants to wait until I go to Vandy. So I don't know what to do :P

I tend to have strange and violent reactions to everything that enters my body...including a lot of foods.

Oh (sigh) the life of a potsy :)

I HIGHLY recommend doing a search if you can on this subject, as you may not get too many replies...this topic has come up a couple of times already this season and every year at this time.

Just do a search for 'Flu Shot' as the subject...you'll find reading to your heart's content!

The opinions and dilemnas are as varied as Lauren's various recs from docs! :)

I am not getting one, as my POTS doc doesn't recommend them. I have little exposure though b/c I am homebound!

Hope this helps! and welcome to the board...Emily

Sorry I am late on posting, sick all day yesterday. Yes I did get a flu shot, and a pneumonia shot also. No side affects just sore arms. My PCP said that it was necessary as if I got the flu or pneumonia it would be much worse in me. Hope this helps. Vanessa

Hi, what is everyone's opinioin about getting a flu shot...has anyone gotten one? if yes, any side effects? is it safe to get one if you have POTS? feel free to add anything else!

I had to post on this- there's always one and it would appear to always be me. I had my flu jab a month ago and I am only just now returning to normal--you may all remember that I was loopy for ages with the Flourinef after my tilt test? Well, my GP now thinks that my actual symptoms were side effects of the flu jab, as I have been experiencing mild flu like symptoms-crushing exhaustion, aching like I never knew before....

My own cardiologist told me that several of his dysautonomic patients have experienced the same this year in particular. but this is the UK- I don't know if ther eis something different in the one here that makes it affect us more than in the US?

Be very careful- ask the advice of the doc.

Howdy,

my cardio told me to get the flu shot as he said it couldn't do any harm and i would feel a little rough for a few days so i had it about a month ago and i've been ok ish! i had the normal sore arm but i've had kind of flu like symptoms and complete exhaustion since, been sleeping soo much more, i think next time i'll do more research!

becks x x x

Persephone,

You have given me the courage to step out of the closet. Last year after the flu shot, my POTS symptoms really took a nose dive. It took me at least two weeks to get back to baseline. The "real" flu would probably leave me with permament damage. I know it is a complete gamble not to get the flu shot.

Karyn

as you've probably seen by now people (forum members, their docs, etc) tend to have many varied opinions on this one :huh:

i've gotten the flu shot for several years now (3 or 4...) and never had a problem other than a bit of a sore red arm. for me i have ended up incredibly ill (i.e. hospitalized) from various bugs at times in the past & have never had a real problem with a shot/immunization, so the risk is worth it. at the advice of my new PCP i also got a pneumonia shot this year (first time) and while it didn't make me ill i had HORRIBLE pain in my arm/shoulder for a good 48 hours plus. it seriously felt like someone had stuck a rod through my arm where the shot was given to my armpit...i couldn't even lift my shoulder/arm up normally. very weird. but short-lived. and still preferable over being super sick. so rose, i'd vote that your rxn was the pneumonia rather than the flu shot (i had mine on different days so could differentiate better).

good luck with your decision.

hopefully - shot or no shot - we'll all stay flu-free,

B) melissa