had EP done

dizzygirl

Hi folks!

Wanted to pop in real quick and lwt you know i had my EP done oday.... boy oh boy what day!

I got taken back to the EP lab holding area.. and they tried 6 times to get an IV into my veins in the hands and all over the arms.. and had no luck.. so thay had to talk to dr. grubb... and he inserted and IV in the groin... OUCH!! OUCH!!

cant remebr what he called it though..he sai that he normally does this procedure with patients sleeping...but since we had such problems with IV access.. we had to take an alternate route so to speak... He said he was sorry he had to do it this way.. He gave me a shot to numb it some.. an i didnt feel the initail incision.. but i really felt it when he was going in the right groin area.. and it HURT!! dr. grubb was great though.. had it been anybody else doing the proceddure.. i wouldnt said yeah right and left.!

and he went into the left groin too.. that wasnt as bad...they inserted the IV into the groin and finally gave me some "happy juice" as the nurse called it.. i didnt really feel the effects from it.. but the Nurse said that i looked relaxed...

SO Dr. g went on with the procedure.. and boy he got my ticker ticking.. let me tell you.. i experienced alot of chest pain and shoulder pain.. and he slow up on the pacing but i felt the pacing and was awake and very aware of what was going on.. was not the most pleasurable thing i have gone through..

Good news is...there is no "short circuits" or extra nerve bundles.. and it is not a rhythm problem causing such high and sustained heart rates...

bad news is..Dr. g isnt totally convinced that my HR issues are all pots related.. but cant quite put his finger on what it is yet.. we're missing something somewhere.. but dont know what or where that something is..

Dr. Grubb is great.. very kind and supportive.. and gave me a script for a stronger Beta blocker.. and gave me the choice of staying over noight at the hospital or return to wehere I am staying.. so I am resting at a freinds house now.. she has been great.. and verry helping.. god bless her!!

SO i am still in wonderment of what is casuing such rapid HR. as a HR of 240 is not good...and so is Dr. G...

I have to go back to see him in about 7-8 wks or so..we also talked about some of my other "problems" as the legs pain.. and he agreed with me that fibro is not going to casue the intensity of pain that i am having.. kinda stumped there too..

I have mixed feeling an emotions about today.. I'm very greatful for dr. grubb and all that he has done and tried will do for me.. and that i didnt have to go through an ablation..

but yet on the other hand I am dssappointed as well.. b/c I was hoping that i could at least geeeeeet my 240 HR undercontrol.. i did not want to here that part of the casue of my HR is b/c of pots.. i am so rapidly deteriorating.. and really just want to be able to enjoy some of life...

all right folks i am really hurting right now.. I will be in touch with you once I et home..

love and hugs

linda

Linda,

I'm so sorry to hear you didn't get the answers you were hoping for. Hopefully Dr. Grubb will be able to figure out what's causing your incredible heart rate and get your poor little heart some rest! ;)

I'm getting ready to go to Vandy next month, and fear the same answers. It must be very hard. Keep your chin up though, if it is POTS, then maybe it will just resolve on it's own :) I also hope he gets to the bottom of your pain. I know you've been in agony frequently and you need a rest girl!

Take care, and try not to dwell on the bad news.

((((Hugs)))))

Lauren

Linda- ouch!!! I am sorry you had such a time today but maybe Dr. Grubb can direct you to someone who can figure out what is going on with that heart of yours. I'm so sorry- hope you get some answers real soon. Take care.

Carmen

Hi, i HAVE HAD 2 ABLATIONS AND 3 EP STUDY'S. MY PROBLEM IS IN THE SA NODE, SO THE ONLY WAY TO FIX IT WOULD TO PUT IN A PACEMAKER. I DECIDED AGAINST THAT, HOPING I GET BETTER WITHIN TIME, BECAUSE ONCE YOU HAVE A PACEMAKER PUT INTHERE IS NO GOING BACK. DO THEY THINK YOU HAVE IST, INNAPROPRIATE SINUS TACHYCARDIA? HEARD THIS CAN BE COMMON IF YOU HAVE POTS. TAKE CARE AND I HOPE YOU FEEL BETTER SOON! OH, ALSO DID THEY GIVE U BETA BLOCKERS TO TAKE POST OP??? SOMETIMES AFTER AN ABLATION YOUR HEART HAS SPELLS OF TACHY BUT THEY SHOULDNT BE AS SEVERE OR LAST AS LONG.

I'm sorry you are disappointed! I do think it's good they don't do ablation though.

I have a rough time with extreme tachycardia myself. Vanderbilt told me since the rythmn is good and it's "only" a matter of extremely high heart rate that ablation would make things worse.

Hang in there and I hope your trip home goes smoothly!

Sorry to hear you are having such a bad time of it. I hate IVs also. My veins just wont cooperate with the nurses or techs. I have a question for you. What is an EP? I hope that I do not have to ever have one. Have a safe trip home. hope you find some answers soon. Vanessa

Hi folks!

Wanted to pop in real quick and lwt you know i had my EP done oday.... boy oh boy what day!

I got taken back to the EP lab holding area.. and they tried 6 times to get an IV into my veins in the hands and all over the arms.. and had no luck.. so thay had to talk to dr. grubb... and he inserted and IV in the groin... OUCH!! OUCH!!

cant remebr what he called it though..he sai that he normally does this procedure with patients sleeping...but since we had such problems with IV access.. we had to take an alternate route so to speak... He said he was sorry he had to do it this way.. He gave me a shot to numb it some.. an i didnt feel the initail incision.. but i really felt it when he was going in the right groin area.. and it HURT!! dr. grubb was great though.. had it been anybody else doing the proceddure.. i wouldnt said yeah right and left.!

and he went into the left groin too.. that wasnt as bad...they inserted the IV into the groin and finally gave me some "happy juice" as the nurse called it.. i didnt really feel the effects from it.. but the Nurse said that i looked relaxed...

SO Dr. g went on with the procedure.. and boy he got my ticker ticking.. let me tell you.. i experienced alot of chest pain and shoulder pain.. and he slow up on the pacing but i felt the pacing and was awake and very aware of what was going on.. was not the most pleasurable thing i have gone through..

Good news is...there is no "short circuits" or extra nerve bundles.. and it is not a rhythm problem causing such high and sustained heart rates...

bad news is..Dr. g isnt totally convinced that my HR issues are all pots related.. but cant quite put his finger on what it is yet.. we're missing something somewhere.. but dont know what or where that something is..

Dr. Grubb is great.. very kind and supportive.. and gave me a script for a stronger Beta blocker.. and gave me the choice of staying over noight at the hospital or return to wehere I am staying.. so I am resting at a freinds house now.. she has been great.. and verry helping.. god bless her!!

SO i am still in wonderment of what is casuing such rapid HR. as a HR of 240 is not good...and so is Dr. G...

I have to go back to see him in about 7-8 wks or so..we also talked about some of my other "problems" as the legs pain.. and he agreed with me that fibro is not going to casue the intensity of pain that i am having.. kinda stumped there too..

I have mixed feeling an emotions about today.. I'm very greatful for dr. grubb and all that he has done and tried will do for me.. and that i didnt have to go through an ablation..

but yet on the other hand I am dssappointed as well.. b/c I was hoping that i could at least geeeeeet my 240 HR undercontrol.. i did not want to here that part of the casue of my HR is b/c of pots.. i am so rapidly deteriorating.. and really just want to be able to enjoy some of life...

all right folks i am really hurting right now.. I will be in touch with you once I et home..

love and hugs

linda

Guest Julia59

Dizzygirl----I have one word for you-------------------------Trooper................. :)

You definately have what it takes to beat this game of POTS---I hope you find the answers, and I hope your visit with Dr. Grubb in January will be more helpful. I know he will do his best to help you find the mystery behind that high heart rate. I also think there is definately more to this picture---because as long as I have known about POTS, I have really never heard of such a high heart rate, not as often as you have it.

Maybe you can try to get the original MRIs and bring them to your next appointment.

Take care----keep us posted on how your feeling.

A BIG HUG

Julie :0)

Hi folks!

Oh my I hope I ddint scare people with my EP experiecne!! I really didnt mean too..

Dr. Grubb was great and did his very best to make me comfortable...and pain free. he kept saying that he normally has people sleeping when he inserts the thingys into the (he didnt say thingys.. I just cant think of what they are called!!) the groin..he explained to me what he was doing as he did.. when he was giving shots and meds and what not..

it was kinda funny.. Dr. Grubb goes before the proceddure started " where 's the music?? Pop a CD in!" (to one of the ladys in the room.. and the voted to play the "Dysautonomia" CD.. that is what they called it.. I also most wanted to cry when the first song came on..it was the song by leeAnn Walmack (SSP??) I Hope you dance... and that is one of my all time favorite songs.. and I told Dr. Grubb that too.. he smilled.. good doc that dr. Grubb!

The good thing about having the EP done --yes there is a good thing-- that dr. Grubb was able to rule out whatever it was he had to rule out.. ( cant think of tha tright now either! my brain is mushy right now..) ... and it was necessary to have it done..

On the not so cool side.. I dont think I should ahve left toledo this morning!!!! as I was not feeling well at all.. and knew better... I woke up this morning... and I was covered in a nasty rash from head to toe.. all over my face.. neck hands arm back shoulder stomach.. WOW! was I itchie.. so Julie and I were standing there talking and we decided to call the on call doc at like 7:30 this morning.. and I spoe with Dr. Suh.. he wanted me to come in and be seen by dr. grubb this morning or Bev.. as that is an unusaul reaction..

I restisted.. as my bus was scheduled to leave at 8;30 am... boy I am a dumb ash!!!!

SO the doc calls me back and says that he thinks that some of the meds they gave me were interacting w/ my regualr everyday meds.. and he told me to take Benadryl for the trip home and then he called in Prendisone to take as soon as I got home... and take till the end iof the week.. and to call right away if I got worse or had more problems...

I'm alittle better then this morning.. I'm not a sitchie... and my skin isnt as red and flushed looking...

the bus ride was rough.. but i made it...had alot of chest pain.. and tachy... EEEEWWWWWWW

I am hoping and praying that this different BB helps me.. and gets these crazy Hr's undercontrol..

I'm going to get on some peoples behinds here locally b/c I am tired of getting the runaround and shoved to the way side and see if I cant get a competent doc!

Ok well rant over..

legs are quite sore.. and I really need to take nap.. thtanks guys!!

linda

Glad you made it home ok. But I still dont know what an "EP" is. It doesnt sound very good to me. Please let me know what it is. Thanks Vanessa

Hi folks!

Oh my I hope I ddint scare people with my EP experiecne!! I really didnt mean too..

Dr. Grubb was great and did his very best to make me comfortable...and pain free. he kept saying that he normally has people sleeping when he inserts the thingys into the (he didnt say thingys.. I just cant think of what they are called!!) the groin..he explained to me what he was doing as he did.. when he was giving shots and meds and what not..

it was kinda funny.. Dr. Grubb goes before the proceddure started " where 's the music?? Pop a CD in!" (to one of the ladys in the room.. and the voted to play the "Dysautonomia" CD.. that is what they called it.. I also most wanted to cry when the first song came on..it was the song by leeAnn Walmack (SSP??) I Hope you dance... and that is one of my all time favorite songs.. and I told Dr. Grubb that too.. he smilled.. good doc that dr. Grubb!

The good thing about having the EP done --yes there is a good thing-- that dr. Grubb was able to rule out whatever it was he had to rule out.. ( cant think of tha tright now either! my brain is mushy right now..) ... and it was necessary to have it done..

On the not so cool side.. I dont think I should ahve left toledo this morning!!!! as I was not feeling well at all.. and knew better... I woke up this morning... and I was covered in a nasty rash from head to toe.. all over my face.. neck hands arm back shoulder stomach.. WOW! was I itchie.. so Julie and I were standing there talking and we decided to call the on call doc at like 7:30 this morning.. and I spoe with Dr. Suh.. he wanted me to come in and be seen by dr. grubb this morning or Bev.. as that is an unusaul reaction..

I restisted.. as my bus was scheduled to leave at 8;30 am... boy I am a dumb ash!!!!

SO the doc calls me back and says that he thinks that some of the meds they gave me were interacting w/ my regualr everyday meds.. and he told me to take Benadryl for the trip home and then he called in Prendisone to take as soon as I got home... and take till the end iof the week.. and to call right away if I got worse or had more problems...

I'm alittle better then this morning.. I'm not a sitchie... and my skin isnt as red and flushed looking...

the bus ride was rough.. but i made it...had alot of chest pain.. and tachy... EEEEWWWWWWW

I am hoping and praying that this different BB helps me.. and gets these crazy Hr's undercontrol..

I'm going to get on some peoples behinds here locally b/c I am tired of getting the runaround and shoved to the way side and see if I cant get a competent doc!

Ok well rant over..

legs are quite sore.. and I really need to take nap.. thtanks guys!!

linda

hey vanessa

Ep stand for Electro physiology===meaning studying the elctricity conduction in your heart...

I had a rough time w/ it.. but it doesnt mean tha everybody will.. everybody reacts differently from it... however much it hurt and still hurts some.. I am glad that i had it done.. so that i had things checked out.. and to see if there was anyway that they could treat my really really high tachy rates..

So like i said it depends on the person...I unfortunaltly am a terrible hard person to get IV's into.. and we had to do an alternative option...

thanks guys for all the support and well wishes that you have snet my way.... I took a vicodin.. and it is helping my hurting leg.. and making me sleepy.. so of to bed I go!!

Hugs to yu all!

Guest Finrussak

Linda sorry I hadnt been checking on you but having my own crash lately...the new meds protocol of triple dosing abx for 4-5 days then none for 2-3 days has my MTBI herxing like mad. I was SO releived to hear that you made it there and back...you are one tough cookie...I dont think Id have had the courage to leave for home alone and red/itchy!!!! I know the heart dropping feeling when they say "we still dont know why"...which kinda takes away from the relief of not having something else. And I am glad you didnt need ablation for that is a no turning back unfixable thing...and if youre not sure itll help...why chance it.

Answers come when they are meant to...lets hope yours come soon. Feel better. and be careful on the prednisone...call Bev at Dr Grubb's to make sure you dont need to taper off. Usually steroids cant be abruptly stopped.

hwy guys...

just thought that i'd pop in and say hey!I am feeling alittle bit better then i felt yeaterday... my rash is allmost all gone and I'm nnot so red looking.. the prendisone is really helping.. though i must say that it really makes me very thirsty after taking it...my dose is being gradually reduced.. i will have to make a note to myself tha prendisone helps the itchies for future reference!! as this ahppnes quite often!! EEEEW

i am not as sore today as i was yesterday... then apin that I was feeling in my entire leg isnt nealry as bad as yesterday.. its subsiding.. thank god!!

though I am quite potsy today.. I think part of it was b/c I took vicodin last night to help the pain and help me sleep.. I took some at like 11pm and about 6 am.. and I crashed on the couch.. as i didnt have the energy to hike up the stairs last night.. that and I ddint want a 2 yrs old kicking me in the groin!! OUCH that would have hurt.. ( my friend was here with me last night and she had her 2 yr. old little boy with her.. not the greatest idea.. as I couldnt really play with him ,, and he kept wanting me to pick him up and i couldnt! )

But I'm not too bad tonight..was able to take a shower.. sitting of course! and that was cool!

i felt so much cleaner!

thanks all for your support!! it means alot to me!!!

dizz

Hey Linda!

What an experience you've had! I'm sorry that they couldn't find an area to zap to bring down your terribly high heart rate, but at least that potential problem is ruled out fully and they can move on to investigate other areas. You are quite the little trooper! Keep on hanging on... I'm sure Dr. Grubb will work very hard to figure this all out for you. Make sure you take things really slow for the next while. You need to rest up after all of this! Take good care of yourself! Laura