Salty Link

Dizzy Dame

Hi all,

Dancing Light asked me about "Sweet Li-Hing Mui" I eat for salt. They are pickled plums and they have about 1/2 a gram (500mg) of salt per seed. I've been eating four or five throughout the day for months to get my salt.

I found a place that sells them online for those who are interested. They're an asian snack and are very popular where I live in Hawaii.

Here's the link:

http://www.crackseedcenter.com/Category.aspx?categoryID=28

As a disclaimer: the plums are very bad for your teeth, and if you eat them, you should brush your teeth shortly afterwards...all that salt corodes the enamel. Also, they may make you naucious (sp?) when you first eat them because of all the salt, however, I got used to them after a week or so, and now I crave them all the time.

Happy snacking,

Lauren

Guest Mary from OH

Lauren!!!!

OH MY GOODNESS!!! I think you are talking about a Japanese snack called Umoboshi!! (they are pickled plums too!) You must have a strong stomach, bless your heart!! I eat almost all Japanese food (that I am not allergic to) and that is ONE food I CAN NOT eat!! ;) It is definitely an acquired taste. Do you eat the hard ones or the soft ones? Do you eat them by themself or inside rice balls or something?

You have my utmost respect!! :)

Edited by Mary from OH

Do you eat the hard ones or the soft ones? Do you eat them by themself or inside rice balls or something?

I eat the soft, powdery ones. The taste of the plums varies depending on the manufacturer. There are some that are sweet, and taste like salty prunes, there are some that are so sour they make me throw up. I try to go middle-of-the-road. I don't eat them with anything. I just nibble on them, and chase them with gatorade to wash all the salt out of my mouth. And yes, they are an aquired taste!

Believe it or not, my cardiologist here was the one who prescribed them to me. He actually wrote them into my file as part of my treatment regimine. He says there's no food that's saltier on the planet! Go figure!

Otherwise I'd never have stuck it out.

Yep, they're salty alright!!!

Guest Mary from OH

Lauren,

Maybe I'll have to look into the Chinese ones. The Japanese ones are def. NOT sweet, only SOUR! :) And that with the salty :) !!!! Vomitrocious!! I just can't stomach it. I would not mind sweet and salty!! The Japanese ones don't come powdery like you're talking about... hmmmm. Do you know if there is any MSG in them? I have an anaphylactic allergy to it. Thanks!!

Have you ever tried the Japanese pickled plums?

Just wondering?

Do you know if there is any MSG in them? I have an anaphylactic allergy to it. Thanks!!

Have you ever tried the Japanese pickled plums?

Just wondering?

No MSG. The link above is to a store that makes them by hand, and lists the ingredients as salt, sugar, licorice and aspertane. I talked to my doctor about the aspertane, and he said that if I'm only eating four plums a day, I shouldn't have any problem with it. I'm sure you could find plums without aspertane.

I'm sure I've tried the japanese plums. The neighborhood I live in is often referred to as "Little Tokyo". When I first tried the plums, I bought them from my local grocery store (which is a japanese grocery store) they were very sour. I eventually found slightly sweeter versions of the Li-hing that I could stand.

I also have a major problem with MSG, so I understand your fear.

Lauren,

You are always so kind and wonderful about replying to posts. I really appreciate it...you amaze me, b/c I know you are not feeling well yourself.

My mom looked for the Plums at our grocery store today but they did not have them and when she asked about them, they didn't know about them. They have a large international section, but no luck. We do have several Asian markets in town...so I am sure they are available!

I don't know if I will be able to stomach them after your description! But, I still think they are worth a shot.

I will ask my friend when she is home over Christmas break, as she is Chinese and has also lived in Thailand, travelled to Taiwan, Japan, etc. etc...so she might have a better scoop on where in town to buy them and all that. (No, I am not making an assumption that just b/c she is Asian she will know about them...but she is very knowledgable about these things and her mom is a fabulous cook and will surely know what the Asian markets in town offer...Sorry had to make that disclaimer on the site for those who don't know me very well!) It might save my mom some running around town!

It sounds like I need the Chinese ones anyways and not the Japanese ones! After Mary's post, I think you are very brave Lauren! :) It seems like a good way to get the sodium though and not have to take salt tablets! Which I threw up!

Okay, off to bed! I didn't want your post to go without a 'thank you!' b/c I really appreciate it! What time is it there in Hawaii??????

Emily