Cerefo.,in -- anyone find any studies on B vitamins

michiganjan

Dr Grubb put me on Cerefolin to help me think better. I took it for a few days, did not have any bad effects, but when I told my primary care doctor that I was taking Cerefolin, he told me to stop taking it. He said that there are studies that implicate the B vitamins in increasing cell division. He did not think the Cerefolin is a good thing to do.

I cannot find anything much about the B vitamins and cell division. Has anyone heard of this being a problem?

All right, all you wonderful researchers.

Jan

at first glance, I could only find this site.

http://www.healthy.net/scr/Column.asp?Id=657

It does mention that during cell division, things don't always go according to plan but I think the folate is supposed to keep the replication safe but who knows?

Wow, I never heard this. I am trying to find a good meatball recipe to make ahead for tomorrow's last car race.

If I find another article on your question, I shall post it ASAP.

I was interested in the Cerefolin myself but my doc said it is out of my budget and no samples. But my B12 injections aren't doing much for me these days...but now you have my wondering about those. Will have to enlighten myself later.

Thanks for a though provoking question. Nice to see your name here as always.

Sophia

Guest Finrussak

other than some B vitamins, the main ingredient is L-MethylFolate. Its used in Alzheimers and for persons with high Homocysteine. The only things I found so far talk about Folates as a PREVENTATIVE...and that low levels cause disruption in DNA and other mechanisms leading to cancers (like squamous cell skin). Do you have a family or personal history with cancer?. Theoretically it may feed cancer cells but so far Ive not seen anything definitive. Ill try PubMed later ot tomorrow.

Finette

Hi Jan,

Hi Finette,

I was just checking back Jan from the few articles I came across, I extrapolated the same theory as Finette. That if one has an unknown cancer in the body it could duplicate things.

Isn't that the same reason women with cancer or how have had breast cancer should eat soy or take soy supplements.

This stuff is so confusing.

That reminds me, I am going to post some laugh therapy on this whole vitamin nutrition supplement deal.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a Mayo article that may explain the concern regarding B12 and Cancer cells. I'll look for an updated article.

Mayo Clinic develops new way to locate cancer with Vitamin B12

Information for patients

Mayo Clinic has developed a new way to locate cancer using a special form of Vitamin B12. Douglas Collins, M.D., a Mayo Clinic radiologist, working with a biochemist from the University of Minnesota, has found a way to attach a radioactive molecule to Vitamin B12. The radioactive B12, when injected into the human body, shows brightly on conventional gamma imaging scans.

This new testing method may make it easier to locate hard-to-find cancers. It works because cancerous cells absorb great quantities of Vitamin B12, while healthy body tissues only absorb small amounts. Scans detect and show the radioactive molecule attached to the vitamin, allowing physicians to locate areas of radioactive B12 concentration. The areas of concentration indicate the location of cancer.

Mayo Clinic has studied this testing method in a small group of patients who had previously diagnosed cancers, including breast, lung, bone, thyroid, colon prostate and brain cancers. The B12 test was able to correctly locate the cancer in 90 percent of the patients.

No clinical studies are currently in progress associated with this development, but Mayo Clinic plans to continue its research into the use of Vitamin B12 in cancer detection and treatment. In summer 2000, Mayo Clinic will begin animal studies to find ways of treating cancer with B12. Research will investigate ways to attach radioactive compounds known to destroy cancerous cells to Vitamin B12.

Can I get this test?

More research is needed before this test will be available to the general public. The B12 test is still under development, and Mayo Clinic is not actively recruiting study participants at this time.

Why does cancer absorb more B12 than healthy tissues?

Vitamin B12 is an essential building block of life. Any group of fast growing cells, such as a tumor, will use a lot of B12. In fact, research has shown that tumor cells will grow extra B12 receptors to make sure they get the B12 they need.

If cancer likes B12 so much, does that mean taking B12 makes cancer worse?

There is no conclusive evidence that B12 makes cancer worse. People who have concerns about cancer should NOT cut back on Vitamin B12. This can deprive healthy cells of the vitamin and can lead to serious medical problems.

Did all the patients in this study have cancer?

No. Some of the patients had suspected cancers that were later ruled out by surgery or other tests. The B12 test correctly ruled out cancer in these patients. This test may prove to be an effective way to rule out cancer and prevent unnecessary surgeries.

Will taking large amounts of B12 before other imaging tests lead to a better result?

No. This test uses a special type of B12 that has a radioactive molecule attached to it. Regular B12 will not affect imaging tests in any way. People should not change their normal dosage of Vitamin B12 without consulting a physician or dietician.

Do your results show that mammograms do not work for women with dense breast tissue?

No. We did not study the effectiveness of mammograms. We only looked at the results of the B12 test. Mammogram currently is the best test for detecting breast cancers, and this study should not deter any woman from getting regular mammograms. Women with dense breast tissue may have inconclusive results from a mammogram and will need more follow up. Our results led us to believe that the B12 test may become another breast cancer screening option for these women.

Will this test replace current methods of diagnosing breast cancer?

Probably not. There are several ways to effectively diagnose breast cancer, but sometimes these methods cannot find the exact location of the tumor inside the breast, making it hard to remove the cancer surgically. In these cases, the B12 test could be performed to locate the cancer.

What are the side effects of using radioactive B12?

There are few effects from using radioactive Vitamin B12. In fact, the radiation from this test is less than that from many other standard imaging tests.

How did Mayo Clinic and the University of Minnesota come together to work on this project?

Dr. Collins and University of Minnesota scientist Harry Hogenkamp, Ph.D., have worked together for many years. Their working relationship began when Dr. Collins was a medical student at the University, where Dr. Hogenkamp teaches biochemistry. The two continued to work together after Dr. Collins came to Mayo Clinic. Dr. Hogenkamp manufactures the Vitamin B12 and other elements needed for this test and sends them to Mayo Clinic where Dr. Collins puts them together for his research.

Here's another article to add to the confusion. Looks like it is protective for breast cancer but maybe not so good for prostate cancer.

http://psa-rising.com/eatingwell/vb12_folate04.html

The researchers say: "Our results suggest that factors contributing to folate status are not protective against prostate cancer. On the contrary, vitamin B12, associated with an up to 3-fold increase in risk, and possibly also folate, may even stimulate prostate cancer development. These findings are novel and should be explored further in future studies."

One last resource. The National Institute of Health Office of Dietary Supplements. From the B12 Fact Sheet:

Researchers have long been interested in the potential connection between vitamin B12 deficiency and dementia [28]. A recent review examined correlations between cognitive skills, homocysteine levels, and blood levels of folate, vitamin B12 and vitamin B6. The authors suggested that vitamin B12 deficiency may decrease levels of substances needed for the metabolism of neurotransmitters [29]. Neurotransmitters are chemicals that transmit nerve signals. Reduced levels of neurotransmitters may result in cognitive impairment. In 142 individuals considered at risk for dementia, researchers found that a daily supplement providing 2 milligrams (mg) folic acid and 1 mg B12, taken for 12 weeks, lowered homocysteine levels by 30%. They also demonstrated that cognitive impairment was significantly associated with elevated plasma total homocysteine. However, the decrease in homocysteine levels seen with vitamin supplementation did not improve cognition [30]. It is too soon to make any recommendations, but is an intriguing area of research.

What is the health risk of too much vitamin B12?

The Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences did not establish a Tolerable Upper Intake Level for this vitamin because Vitamin B12 has a very low potential for toxicity. The Institute of Medicine states that "no adverse effects have been associated with excess vitamin B12 intake from food and supplements in healthy individuals" [7]. In fact, the Institute recommends that adults over 50 years of age get most of their vitamin B12 from vitamin supplements or fortified food because of the high incidence of impaired absorption of B12 from animal foods in this age group [7].

http://ods.od.nih.gov/

Don't know if this will help or make things more confusing.

I haven't read this all the way through but it points out some interesting things about B vitamins in general.

http://www.acu-cell.com/bx.html#TXTANC7D3921E37371540

Have you ever tried B-12 shots before?

I don't know...it's a delicate balance for sure. Personally, I'm all for first attempting to add extra vitamins (if needed) through wholesome healthy foods; if that doesn't work I would take a good multi-vitamin.

Have you tried those things yet?

Sorry this is so confusing for you. I know the last thing you need is something else to research and figure out!!!

From the Folate fact sheet:

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Folate_pf.asp

Folic Acid and Cancer

Some evidence associates low blood levels of folate with a greater risk of cancer [52]. Folate is involved in the synthesis, repair, and function of DNA, our genetic map, and there is some evidence that a deficiency of folate can cause damage to DNA that may lead to cancer [52]. Several studies have associated diets low in folate with increased risk of breast, pancreatic, and colon cancer [53-54]. Over 88,000 women enrolled in the Nurses' Health Study who were free of cancer in 1980 were followed from 1980 through 1994. Researchers found that women ages 55 to 69 years in this study who took multivitamins containing folic acid for more than 15 years had a markedly lower risk of developing colon cancer [54]. Findings from over 14,000 subjects followed for 20 years suggest that men who do not consume alcohol and whose diets provide the recommended intake of folate are less likely to develop colon cancer [55]. However, associations between diet and disease do not indicate a direct cause. Researchers are continuing to investigate whether enhanced folate intake from foods or folic acid supplements may reduce the risk of cancer. Until results from such clinical trials are available, folic acid supplements should not be recommended to reduce the risk of cancer.

Folic Acid and Methotrexate for Cancer

Folate is important for cells and tissues that rapidly divide [2]. Cancer cells divide rapidly, and drugs that interfere with folate metabolism are used to treat cancer. Methotrexate is a drug often used to treat cancer because it limits the activity of enzymes that need folate.

Unfortunately, methotrexate can be toxic, producing side effects such as inflammation in the digestive tract that may make it difficult to eat normally [56-58]. Leucovorin is a form of folate that can help "rescue" or reverse the toxic effects of methotrexate [59]. There are many studies underway to determine if folic acid supplements can help control the side effects of methotrexate without decreasing its effectiveness in chemotherapy [60-61]. It is important for anyone receiving methotrexate to follow a medical doctor's advice on the use of folic acid supplements.

More conflicting research.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/512905

NORVIT: The Norwegian Vitamin Trial

Clinical Results

The primary endpoint, a composite of nonfatal and fatal MI (including sudden death) and nonfatal and fatal stroke, occurred in approximately 18% of each of the placebo, folic acid, and vitamin B6 groups. In the group that received folic acid + vitamin B6, however, there was a significant increase in primary endpoints (P = .029) vs the other 3 groups. Event rates, including individual components of the primary endpoint, were higher in the folic acid + vitamin B6 group compared with either folic acid or vitamin B6 alone or placebo (Table 1). Cancer rates were higher in both of the folic acid groups.

No Proof Yet Either Way

ESC-designated discussant Ian M. Graham, FRCPI (Royal College of Surgeons, Dublin, Ireland), agreed the relationship between homocysteine and vascular disease has not "so far" been established as causal. He also agreed that the use of B vitamins cannot currently be recommended in post-MI patients, although lack of proof of benefit does not prove that there is no benefit, he noted. He suggested that NORVIT might not have been adequately powered, the factorial design might have been too complex, and the trial incapable of isolating the effect of folate per se.

Recommendations for Intake of Folic Acid and Other B Vitamins

The American Heart Association (AHA) currently advises that "So far, no controlled treatment study has shown that folic acid supplements reduce the risk of atherosclerosis or that taking these vitamins affects the development or recurrence of cardiovascular disease." The AHA says that screening for homocysteine levels in the blood may be useful in patients with a personal or family history of cardiovascular disease but who don't have the well-established risk factors (smoking, high blood cholesterol, high blood pressure, physical inactivity, obesity, and diabetes). Although evidence for the benefit of lowering homocysteine levels is lacking, the AHA says that physicians should advise patients at high risk how to ensure that their diet contains enough folic acid and vitamins B6 and B12 in their diet.

http://www.med.umich.edu/opm/newspage/2005/nanoparticles.htm

Research at the University of Michigan.

ANN ARBOR, MI - University of Michigan scientists have created the nanotechnology equivalent of a Trojan horse to smuggle a powerful chemotherapeutic drug inside tumor cells ? increasing the drug's cancer-killing activity and reducing its toxic side effects.

Folic acid, or folate, is an important vitamin required for the healthy functioning of all cells. But cancer cells, in particular, seem to need more than average amounts. To soak up as much folate as possible, some cancer cells display more docking sites called folate receptors on their cell membranes. By taking advantage of a cancer cell's appetite for folate, U-M scientists are able to prevent the cells from developing resistance to chemotherapeutic drugs.