question about heart racing

Hi All!

I have a question!

Do you ever have a time when your heart races for no reason really? My heart has been doing that...it will be fine and then something as small as the phone ringing sets it off on a run. It takes about an hour or so for it to calm down and start beating as normal as mine beats lol. Does this sound familiar to any of you?

Guest Finrussak

If an explanation will make you feel less nervous about it: when you develop dysautonomias, the whole adrenaline and chemical feedback system is highly sensitive...any little thing may cause even a little extra adrenaline ( even if you dont "feel" jumpy or nervous--it can be smells, noises, something brushing against your skin...anything that is stimulating) then that little adrenaline for the "normal" person is ignored or recycled...for those with ANS issues, its enough to set a whole bunch of "stuff" in motion---heart rate and blood pressure changes, etc. Sort of like setting a motion detector on High...usually only things within 2 feet of it will cause the light to go on...but on very high any breeze or object within a yard will cause it to go on...your "motion" detectors are on "high alert"...they often calm down...and return in waves...sometimes to a pattern. Try keeping track with a journal. You may find that various foods/diet, stress like exams or family events; noises etc are all causing stuff. Then at times they wont. The lucky ones find a pattern and can help themselves to either lesses the reactions OR just be calm knowing its "one of those things that happen to me"

For the short term some have been helped by relaxing breathing and other relaxation exercises...it may help the reactions to ease up faster! There have recently been posts on this...try to search for it. :)

Thanks for the info, I did not know any of this stuff, I am going to start keeping a journal to see what is setting off my heart. But then I also have brady so it may be a little difficult. but thanks again. Vanessa

If an explanation will make you feel less nervous about it: when you develop dysautonomias, the whole adrenaline and chemical feedback system is highly sensitive...any little thing may cause even a little extra adrenaline ( even if you dont "feel" jumpy or nervous--it can be smells, noises, something brushing against your skin...anything that is stimulating) then that little adrenaline for the "normal" person is ignored or recycled...for those with ANS issues, its enough to set a whole bunch of "stuff" in motion---heart rate and blood pressure changes, etc. Sort of like setting a motion detector on High...usually only things within 2 feet of it will cause the light to go on...but on very high any breeze or object within a yard will cause it to go on...your "motion" detectors are on "high alert"...they often calm down...and return in waves...sometimes to a pattern. Try keeping track with a journal. You may find that various foods/diet, stress like exams or family events; noises etc are all causing stuff. Then at times they wont. The lucky ones find a pattern and can help themselves to either lesses the reactions OR just be calm knowing its "one of those things that happen to me"

For the short term some have been helped by relaxing breathing and other relaxation exercises...it may help the reactions to ease up faster! There have recently been posts on this...try to search for it. :)

Yep, sounds like me too. It is amazing how just the littlest things set it off and running.

Guest Finrussak

Brady is just the opposite chemical- noradrenaline- or another causing an anti-adrenaline reaction...plus once the heart rate drops the body tries to fix it and can overshoot into a full blown adrenergic heart racing episode...happens to me a LOT...I brady due to occassional heart blocks from the Lyme, sometimes so slow Im near passing out...even scarier is when my heart stops dead for 2-4 seconds ( at 4-5 seconds dwon you go) then brady/tachy alternates a bit until finally settling down. I cant imagine the chemicals pumping trying to correct stuff....and the chemicals are too short lived ( disappear fast) to try to fix with drugs...I just hope the worst case per my cardiologist ( where Im in block with a full pause and my BP drops and theres not enough blood in the heart to restart on its own :P which Im told is about a 30% chance!!!! Yet a regular pacemaker wont help much due to the fact that my body fights even beta blockers and that its more of a brain- neurochemical- nerve plexus problem and not a cardiac rhythm problem which CAN be helped with the pacemaker...UGH...hang in and try the relaxation stuff, retrain your body to be less sensitive...it actually works!!! ( some studies show it as effective as tranquilizer drugs!!!)