Prolonged Tilt Table Test

ben_uk

Hi everyone, hope you are all ok

I am going into hospital in a few weeks for autonomic (and a load of other) tests.

One of the autonomic tests is a prolonged tilt table test (and they measure adrenaline and dopamine before and after)

I think I recall people on this forum saying it is not nice.

Can you let me know what I can expect please?

Thanks!

Ben

I've had several tilt table tests. They weren't particularly uncomfortable, even though my vital signs were very abnormal during them. Of course, I don't faint.

The only test I've had that was seriously uncomfortable was the blood volume test, the part where they take out a huge volume of blood and tag it with radioactive chromium. Make sure that you are lying down for that. During the first one, I was acutely miserable as soon as they took the big blood sample. I didn't care if they were making my blood radioactive. I wanted it back! I made sure I was lying down the other times I took it. I passed right out during the last one and didn't wake up until they put my blood back.

Thanks.

My impression was that everyone faints on the test so it doesn't sound too bad.

I am not sure if I am having the blood volume test. Does it have a special name or abbreviation? I definitely didn't see "blood volume test" on the list.

Besides, with the amount of X-Rays and CT scans I have had recently, I would end up glowing in the dark!

Ben

First of all, Good luck with your testing. I hope they find something wrong and are able to fix it.

When I had my first tilt table test, I was up for an hour. I'm not sure if that's considered prolonged or not, but it was longer than most of them. I didn't pass out, but my body showed signs of POTS.

When I had my second one, I was up for about 40 minutes, and I didn't pass out. My docs said they couldn't find anything from either tilt table, so I was sent back home with no answer.

It wasn't until 2 years later when I saw Dr.Grubb that he told me both of my tests showed I had POTS and NCS. But when I was there he did a mini-tilt, and I had no BP when I stood. That time I failed the test, so he concluded that my autonomic system only fails some of the time.

I've had tests where I've been up for an hour and not fainted- they weren't carried out under the right conditoins. I get very very anxious in tilts because in the first one I ever had, I fainted quite profoundly and felt really very ill indeed.I hate having the control taken away, and knowing tha tif I do faint, I'll be at risk because I cna't lower myself to the ground. Yes, yes, I'm a control freak- I confess!

Th emost recent test I had was a month ago and becaues it was in a very calm, quiet and peaceful environment, I was more relaxed, which enabled the cardiologist to see a true picture of what really happens to me- my blood pressure flatlined.

but the tests I've had done between the first and my most recent were a cpomplete waste of time. They weren't done properly- people were talking to me, there were bright lights, it was very cramped and enclosed, I was being filmed too, which made me feel extremely nervous. It was just the worst possible combination of conditions, given that stress raises blood pressure and means that I won't become hypotensive enough to actually pass out.

Make sure you stay calm-that's the key thing. The more you worry, the worse you'll feel. I'm sure you'll be fine though- almost everyone here has been through a barrage of tilts and we're all still here to tell the tale B)