OXYGEN

JAQUIROUIN

HI,

WHEN YOU HAVE TACHICARDIA YOU NEED TO USE OXYGEN AND YOU FEEL BETTER?. WHEN I HAVE HEAD ACHE OR I HAVE TACHICARDIA I FEEL BETTER WITH THE OXYGEN. Do you make the same? or some day do you probe? I don`t know if this is ok for my POTS but I feel well. I don`t know if this have some relation with the POTS. Do you know?

I've never used Oxygen. Usually, nothing improves my tachycarida other than time and bedrest. I'm interested to see what others have to say though.

Cheers,

Lauren

I HAVE A CUESTION FOR YOU CHEERS, LAUREN. WHEN DOU YOU USE THE WHEELCHAIR?. WHEN YOU HAVE A CRISIS OF POTS?

THAK YOU FOR YOUR ANSWER ABOUT THE OXYGEN.

WHEN I HAVE A CRISIS OF POTS AND I USE THE OXYGEN IS MORE FAST MY RECUPERATION, WELL I HAVE TO USE TOO IV FLUIDS. BUT IF I DON`T USE OXYGEN IS MORE SLOW MY RECUPERATION.

ANY BODY MORE?

i've only been on oxygen when in the hospital, and more so when i'm bradycardic (as opposed to tachycardic). honestly though i've never noticed much relief from it....

B) melissa

Oxygen will help me if I have chest pain (even though my oxygen output is almost always very good). I think in my case my tachycardia gets so bad for so long that not enough oxygen rich blood circulates and adds to the chest pain (along with a flood of hormones adding to the chest pain).

Also, I have visual disturbances and a tendancy toward migraine aura and oxygen is a TREATMENT for migraines.

I THINK THAT THE OXYGEN CAN HELP US, IF WE HAVE POTS. BECAUSE THE PRINCIPAL PROBLEM WHEN WE HAVE A CRISIS IS THAT THE BRAIN DON`T RECIVE A LOT OF OXYGEN, THEN START ALL THE SYNTOMS. IF WE USE OXYGEN WE CAN HELP OUR BODY TO DON?T WORK A LOT FOR OBTAIN THE OXYGEN OF THE ATHERS CELLS THAT ARE USING THEM. I DON`T NO IF THIS IS TRU BUT IS MY TEORY AND MY DOCTOR SAYS THAT THERE AREN`T INVESTIGATIONS ABOUT THIS AND POTS.

WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THIS? I NEED INFORMATION ABOUT THIS. SOME ONE KNOW SOME ARTICLE ABOUT THIS.

I THINK THAT IF THIS IS TRUE, IT CAN BE AN ALTERNATIVE SOLUTION FOR TO ABOID SOME TIMES TO GO TO THE HOSPITAL TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM.

THIS COUL BE BRILLANT AND LESS FRUSTRATING FOR US AND FOR AUR FAMILY

YOU DON`Y THINK SO?

I actually didn't think of that--but yeah, when I was in hospital over the summer with what appeared to be angina type pains, I was put on oxygen and it helped me feel like I oculd breathe again, even thought my sats were up in the 90s.

Oxygen and IV fluids may well help people...hmmm.....interesting

And how exciting to have a Mexican on the board! welcome! B)

I guess it depends on who your insurance carrier is. Both Medicare and Aetna have paid for oxygen therapy for my migraines and it has helped immensely.

Oxygen is used for cluster headaches and it has been used more and more for migraines as well. More recent research has shown great benefit for both types of headaches.

Also, hyperbaric oxygen has been shown as beneficial for many people with migraine.

It's not the traditional approach but for those of us who can't take meds it's a great option to at least try.

In terms of oxygen for tachycardia I believe the above explanation is correct; that's what I was told at Vandy as well.

Hi.. well i find that in combination with IV's that Oxygen does help me feel beter.. I have not been on at home oxygen in a very long time.. and only am given O2 while in the hospital.. or ER.. I do notice a difference in dizziness and visual disturbances...

I have spoken with several docs about my Oxygen therory.. and ahve been told that oxygen is not a proven scientic method for treating pots.. or helping lesson the symptoms..

how ever i think that it is worth looking into.. as for me it does offer some relief.. as long as I am hooked up to it..

i'm not at all minimizing any benefit that anyone receives from oxygen. i say whatever works, go for it.

but in terms of the brain not receiving enough oxygen, it's generally an issue of blood flow. so....even though oxygen could theoretically increase the oxygen, it's delivered to the brain via the bloodstream. so if the blood still isn't getting there, increased oxygen wouldn't necessarily help....just my two cents re: why it may not be something that helps everyone...

;) melissa

Guest Mary from OH

Poohbear-

Would you give me some links about the research that has shown that O2 is a clinically significant, FDA approved abortive treatment for migraines? I would like to read it. I have read lots of info on Cluster headaches, but never Migraines. I, personally, have always wondered if O2 therapy would be helpful for POTS patients!! Thanks!! ;)

I asked our pediatric dr. at Mayo, when my teen was first diagnosed, if breathing O2 would help the POTS. He said good question- for a lay person. He said that the problem was that breathing in O2 would increase the O2 in the brain by such a miniscule amt, that it would not help enough to make it worthwile. However, I have heard that it does help some from passing out- anything to avoid that would be good, I would think!

Guest Finrussak

I agree with Melissa about the blood flow vs the oxygenation issues. The reason why some ARE helped by O2 may be due to many reasons: the pains associated with episodes ( like headache or chest pain) may be due to O2 starved muscle tissues and nerves; it is a temporary calming agent ( many studies but no answers as to why as far as Ive seen...but it is one of the first things EMT's learn to do even if the pt isnt showing signs of really "needing" it and it almost always works to calm them as per personnel in the local squad including my son);it may even bring a small amount of extra O2 into the brain which may then lessen the negative feedback of : less blood flow-body then dilates vessels to try to increase volume- BUT brain blood volume drops due to dilated vessels in extremities and therefore brain getting LESS-so worse brain drain etc...similar to shock. So the O2 may be enough to stop the cycle?

and as with all miracle cures...if it works for you and its not harmful, try it...but that doesnt make it good for all. The many reasons for why we have sx and the many reasons for how we got here and the many systems that are affected is what makes a universal tx so impossible!!! Take beta blockers...so many do so well and cant live a day without them...even cardiologists reach for them first...yet for a few of us ( ME especially) they are DEADLY...go figure.Same for fluids...Volume depletion is a big no-no yet there are a few of us who have NO problem with fluids or blood volume that is until an episode and if we add salt or other volume enhancers like Florinef...it makes us worse!!! again...too variable...more like a syndrome than a discreet "disease".