Irregular heartbeats?

cbhowell

Hi there,

First let me say, I'm not a doctor, but I'll try to repeat what my doctor told me. Mkay? Irregular heartbeats--if they are the "harmless" kind-- will not lead to damage of your heart. My doctor did tell me that if one has extreme tachycardia constantly over a period of years, that it can lead to cardiomyopathy, but your heartbeat would need to be over 160 constantly for years and years (and so far I've not met anyone who'se that tachy).

I think the harmless irregular beats include sinus arrhythmia (spelling?), PVC, PAC etc. There is one arrhythmia that I"m aware of that can indicate "sudden death" that's long QT syndrome, but again it doesn't damage the heart, just throws off the electric current enough to begin fibrillation.

However, you may want to ask your doctor about this.

Good luck,

Lauren

If you are talking about early beats like pac,pvcs I have been told and read that in the absence of structural heart problems, they are of no significance. It would be a good idea to catch these on a monitor to put your mind at ease. Even rapid heartrate, they can document it, and put your mind at ease.