stronger heartbeat?

Radha

I'd say that sounds like a palpitation...what brings them on for you???

I have tried to explain this to my doctors several frustrating times. All they say is, well you are not that tachycardic and I say, it's not the rate, it's the FORCE of the beat that gets me. They just call it palpations, although that isn't really how I would classify it. I can be pretty tachy and not feel it and be at 90-100 and have it pounding likes it's going to pop out of my chest. My teeny weenie breast actually bounces with it. I really hate it....morgan

YES! I know exactly what you're talking about. My doctors don't seem to get it either. I usually get these forceful beats when I sit down after standing or walking. I sometimes lose my vision when I get them (no idea why, been tested but no abnormal results). They can be painful too! Sometimes the beat's so strong that I feel like I'm choking on my own blood: the beat travels up my neck and feels like it's restricting my airway. Good to know I'm not alone. :)

Hi,

I can get pretty tachy at times up to 140/150. Mostly in the 100's or 90's.. Anyway I get forceful beats, sometimes I notice every single beat and feel it too and I am not particularly tachy at that time either, could be in the 90's. Then there are times when I get up or move around and the beat pounds that I can feel it up into my head. This I especially note during my period time or pre-period time. I even feel the pressure in my chest. Very annoying..

Edited by mom4cem

Hey that's weird- and I get them after eating and things, too! i've tried to explain to doctors that it's different from a beat being too fast of out of place, but being too strong, and they never seem to take it into account.

i generally get the stronger "pulsing" when i'm bradycardic. i've been told that this is my heart having to pump harder to get the blood going when it's working slower than it should be (i.e. in 30s or 40s). it's not a regular occurance for me but is horrible when it's happened. i'm aware of my heartbeat when it's tachy and feel worse overall but the beating itself doesn't feel as strong as when it's super slow....

guess i'm opposite in this regard...i like to be unique :)

:P melissa

Don't know if this will help you or not...

If you haven't had a chance to read the NDRF Handbook for Patients with Dysautonomias it mentions this a little. (this is available as a PDF format on NDRF site)

Under the "What are the functions of the different parts of the autonomic nervous system?" section it talks about how the sympathetic norepinephrine system and the adrenomedullary hormonal system usually work together. Under the Sympathetic Norepinephrine Effects it lists "Increased force of heartbeat" and under Adrenomedullary Hormonal effects it lists "Increased force of heartbeat"...showing these two systems often work together.

So...this could be an effect of adrenaline and norepinephrine being released which goes along with POTS