blood pressure

justin

until recently, my bp was fairly low anywhere between 90 and 110 systolic and 55 to 70 diastolic. over the last month or so, though, there have been some weird fluctuations. my pulse pressure has widened A LOT, 30 is where it used to be and now it's around 60 or sometimes more. this seems to happen when i am lying down. if i'm sitting it's more normal. the only thing that has changed with me is that i've now been taking atenolol for about 2 months. the strange thing is, that when this happens my bp will be like 135/65 (for example) when lying down. so, is this isolated systolic hypertension, supine hypertension or...what?

i'm going to ask my doctor about it, but i just wanted to know has anyone else experienced this (or am i the only freak who measures his bp at home....heh ;) )

justin

I've experienced similar problems. It was described to me as a bp and hr regulation problem, not just low bp and high hr... I get huge swings in both, then followed by a precipitous drop in bp and then a few minutes later, my hr drops too, and down I go (that is off meds).

Nina

I am actually on meds for high BP. In diagnosing the POTS they did an echo cardiogram that showed my heart wall had been slightly thickened by the high BP. I too range all over the board in both BP and HR. AM's are obviously the worst, with my pulse in the 110's, and my BP on meds at 120/80. By late afternoon, my pulse has dropped usually into the 80's, and my BP can go as low as 90/56.

My EP told me that I didn't have high BP, it was part of the POTS.

• 3 weeks later...

My Bp is very low in the morning---around 75 over 50 something usually when standing---and low 100s over 60 something when sitting.

My BP ran high 150/80 when having hyper adrengic issues---but usually in the normal range otherwise when I was the sickest with my POTS.

I really don't notice any significant symptoms when my blood pressure runs real low which puzzles me.

Some say they would have passed out with it that low. I'm sure I couldn't jog or anything like that. But I am able to putter around the house doing my morning chores.

After my surgery---it would really spike though. That didn't seem to last more then a month. So I guess that was the only time I had the wild swings. But I do get swings in the BP---but more to the low side.

I don't really check it throughout the day. I'm always afraid to check it when i'm feeling shakey. I'll do anything to avoid another hyper adrengic attack. This stuff can really screw with your mind.

Julie ;)