Can't Even Fix My Hair

wibbleway

;) I am so frustrated. I have been battling this disease for 3 years and it is getting worse. I have tachycardia spells and sweats just blow drying my hair. I sit on a stool, lie down, get up, and try again. I am completely worn out by the time I'm dressed. Dizzy, sweating, nauseated, spots before my eyes, pale and clammy. What a way to live! Do others have this same problem and what do you do? This is the pitts. Cathy

Do you know what your heart rate and blood pressure are when your standing? Do you sit on the floor to blow dry your hair? Do you have other problems such as anemia?

There are days that I have to sit to blow dry my hair or just give up and pony tail it.

Medically when I was hypovolemic and anemic, I had the most difficulty. So now that I'm tanked up and blood count is good I'm doing much better in that department. I still have some swings but not what they were. There were days I had to crawl to the bathroom.

Go through the system check. Call your doc. Maybe you need a medication adjustment? Drink plenty of fluids and salt. And just hang in there were here ;)

Steph

Thanks for your encouragement. I always sit, but it seems that putting my arms up to curl the top pushes me over the edge. I am 50 so my hair is shorter. It is just so hard. My heart rate goes through the roof. My disease is different in that the blood pressure (both numbers) also raise up real high and then after about 10 minutes the whole thing (blood pressure and heart rate) bottom out and so do I. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I have to take a bath again or change clothes after doing hair. What a mess!

Guest tearose

Hi Cathy, yes I do have a suggestion! An occupational therapist showed me this medical equipment catalog and I purchased a "hair dryer stand". It stands on my dresser and holds the dryer while I sit on my chair. You should be able to find it on the internet or a local surgical supply store will order one for you. It is telescoping and I easily reach all parts of my head. Also, have you ever tried a hat? I actually wear a hat on a bad hair day. The hat has to one you really love to wear! You want to feel good about the way you appear even if the hair has a mind of its own!!! How about a backup wig?....Only kidding! Take care, tearose

How about a perm so you don't have to blow dry it? Something really short and sassy that you can just finger comb into place?

The blow dryer tended to be too much stimulus for me, the heat and the noise was too much to handle. I picked up a "quite" hair dryer with a cool setting at Sharper Image that really helped. It is very quite and helps me not jar my system too much in the morning.

But I've given up on styles that I have to raise my arms and manuver. I keep it simple and straight. Quick bun, pony tail, or a couple of clips.

Hope you find something that works for you.

EM

;) Those are all some great ideas! Thanks! I will definetly look into the hair dryers that are quiet and the hair drying stand. I had breast cancer 3 years ago and lost all my hair due to chemo. Maybe it is time to bring out the hats again! I was so glad to get my hair back and now I can't fix it! I will look into a perm also. Anything to help. I have tried to cool down in between but once the stimuli is there, it doesn't seem to help. Since the heat of the blow dryer and curling iron seems to also increase everything, I'll try the lower setting and maybe a curling heated brush. Those aren't as hot! Again thank you for the encouragement. Cathy

When I went to Columbia Presbyterian's Syncope Center, the doctor who did the TTT asked me if I felt faint when washing and drying my hair. Apparently, that's not that uncommon...and happens to be one of my consistent tachy triggers.

Putting those arms up over your heart level increases your body's work load. So, I usually lean over and mostly dry my hair with my head at waist level. I just do a few very quick finishing things once I stand upright. Okay, I'm giggling now a little. I have purposely kept VERY short hair for a number of years now...I suppose it's an adaptation to POTS to have a hairdo that no longer needs a hairbrush and takes me less than a minute to dry it. ;)

If you think I'm joking, I'm not! My picture, spikes and all, is on the main page of my website (see the WWW button below :) )