How Many Heart Palps/Skips/Adds a day?

baby_boy

Ok i was gonna add a voting poll but i couldnt find how to do it, so well have to stick with text lol.

I havnt been here in a while, ive had some graphic design work to do and been a bit busy with my music, but ive been feeling down latley. Terrible wind, Stomach and chest pains, palps, blah blah blah have caught up with me, probably due to the stress and workload im under.

Everyone knows how scarey palpatations, skipped beats or addition beats can be, so to ease everyones mind i thought id start a topic to see how many you get on average a day, how hard or shallow are they and how do they affect you.

For me, some days i have them hard and pretty bad, i learn to get on with life after the 3 years of putting up with them. Some days i have 0 - 1 a day, some i have anything from 10 to 50!

I honestly don't know how many I have a day. If I had to guess I'd say anywhere from 100-1000.

I have a pretty marked sinus arhhythmia (spelling), and frequent PVC's and PAC's. When I take my pulse I can usually feel one or two skipped beats within a 30 second reading. Most of the time I don't feel these.

I do have more "loud" palpitations that I can feel. I usually have these when I yawn, or sigh or laugh. I also have them in my sleep and they wake me up. I used to be terrified of them, but I'm getting used to them. Honestly, they don't even bother me anymore.

Every EKG I've ever had shows my heart "acting up". However, ALL of my doctors have said my palpitations are benign, so I try not to think about them.

Good post, it'll be interesting to see what others experience.

- Lauren

PS:

Baby boy,

I know from your pervious posts that you have alot of anxiety. When I first fell ill, I made myself worse by worrying all the time. My anxiety over my condition caused my heart to act even wierder.

I began to meditate more often, and also realized that "I haven't died yet, so I'm probably not going to". This kind of mentality may not suit you, but you should try to find a mantra or prayer that comforts you when you begin to worry.

Anxiety can act as like a snowball rolling down a hill, I learned to stop the anxiety process, and I function much better now.

I hope this helps.

Well I have PVC's alot of the time. I really doesn't even bother me anymore unless I am trying to sleep. I really only notice them then I am still, or slow down. I have begain to think there are going to be just part of my life. Will be looking forward to see what others feel. My big thing is somtimes I get really bad chest pain, I am still not sure what casues that!

Good luck with graphic design and music!

Amy

Most days I don't notice any. I guess there could still be "silent" ones.

One in a while I get a little run, maybe 2 times a month. However if I am in a nervous mode, I get more. I had some twice just yesterday.

Usually they are soft. But once several years ago I had some really hard ones like an explosion in my chest. Went to the emergency room and they said PACs but later the cardiologist looking at the tape said they were really PVCs with a funny P wave. Or was it a Q wave? Anyway. that only happened once, thank goodness.

I think the SEctrol (beta blocker) helps them.

Hello Baby boy. Mine varies from day to day. Some times I have none. And some times I get what I cal PVc and Pac storms. I had miss beats before in the past but it was just off and on and I really paid no attention to it. Until I have a bad Storm about 2 years ago. I went and seen my cardio and they set a time to place me on a moitor.

My doctor called for a 24 hour monior to see what was happening. Well while they were hooking me up I was having them non stop and the guy who was hooking me up called my cardio right away and they monitored me there for an hour. I was having them every couple seconds. They placed me on a 72 hour monitor. After I wore that she told me I had serious pvc's and some pac's. How ever they were not life threatening ones. How ever they sure feel like it ;-) This lasted two weeks straight and it put me down. She prescribed Flecanide (sp?) for me. I never ended up taking it because it is very serious medicine and can cause sudden death. SO of course that freaked me out. My bad episode lasted 2 weeks straight. Other than that I get them off and on and some times I will get them all day and that puts me down. But I remeber that she says they are NOT life threatening so I do every thing I can to relax and do things that help keep me relaxed because it is still very scarey. I know it is hard not to worry when they are so strong. I just had a pvc and pacs storm here recently that lasted 5 days. And when i get them back to back all day every few seconds or minutes it really tires me out and makes all my pots symptoms even worse. But it finally subsided on its own. My cardio says does not know why mine happen so she calls it idiopathic. We have not been able to relate stress to it or any thing really.

Best wishes

Corina (hopeful-girl)

HI ya..

I have palps and PVC's all through out the day.. I cant really say how often i have then in a day.. ALOT!

But like today I am still ahving them frequently.. but not as bad as yesterday.. I was hooked up to a 24 hour holter monitor yesterday and part of to day.. so I am interested to see what my strips show.. it think it will be intersting consdiering all the stuff I was "experiencing" yeesterday..

I have never been able to actually capture my arrythmias on a holter monitor, so I don't know if mine are totally benign or not....but I definitely go through spells of them. I have been having them pretty bad the last few months. I'm under a lot of stress though and that always seems to make them worse.

Does anyone find that when their heart gets out of rhythm that you suddenly feel dizzy and weird, kind of like you're going to pass out? Most of my missed or extra beats are just a scary in the chest feeling, but I've had some runs that made me feel like I wasn't going to make it. Does anyone also get chest pains with the arrythmias? I never know when I should consider going to the ER about these or not. Any guideance or suggestions on this? I called an ambulance once for them, but things had settled back down by the time they got to my house.

Also, does anyone notice that after arrythmias that their heart takes off to the races (i.e., tachycardia) for a few minutes and then settles back down? Would this be considered IST? Mine does that alot, almost like it's trying to find the right rhythm again. I try not to panic about it, but some days are easier than others!! :lol:

Thanks,

Gena

hi baby boy

I have pvc,pac I fell them heavy allmost alday long,with short of breath,chest pain to the point of some times on the floor.so im the extreme of NOT listening to my body.Im doc said just live with it for years. Now new doc told me was dx post 5 years agoand explainded how and whyto lisen to body.MY DOC IS SWEET!

try to remember it is NOT a heart attict, its not gooing to do kill you, BUT at that times try slow breathing AND relax.

easyer said then done .

I have a hard hard time with this rx.

my job is very phisical and i forget to slowdown sometimes before i passout,doc jokes, im so posts and fogging i forget im sick.

good luck,

hope you get to feeling great soon,

lizzy

Gena,

I would try to persue recording those palpitations. Have you talked to your doctor about an event monitor?

I ask because, and I'm not trying to worry you, but there are some kinds of arrhythmias that you do need to worry about. I'm not saying that's what you have, but until a doctor sees what's going on, you can't be sure.

Thanks Dizzy, I think I should too, it's just that I never know when they're going to happen and everytime I've had a monitor on of course I only experience tachy or bradycardia and no palpitations. :lol:

So I'll look into it further though. Maybe I can get a monitor now, since I've been having them a lot lately.

gena

Hi Gina,

I think that the runs of tachy you are describing sound more like PSVT or SVT rather than IST. I think with IST your resting heart rate is always generally high (except for when you are asleep when it may drop), whereas you seem to be describing sort of bursts of tachycardia which would lean more towards SVT.

If you are experiencing an increase in funny beats lately, it would be good to see your doctor and have a check up on things again. Tell him that you are concerned that they may not be benign and you've had some episodes that feel different and concern you.

I've had pvcs and pacs daily for years now. Worse at times than others. Lately they have been off and on from 1-2 a day to 20,30 or more a day. I also get what feels like adrenaline rushes. There have been times that whenever I would move I would get a pvc. I have worn an event monitor for months at a time and caught various events, all which they considered a nuisance but benign. Also lately I have had problems with sinus tachy. I have recorded these with a event monitor and doc says it is sinus tachy. It gradually comes on, sometimes I feel that dread or anxious feeling in my stomach and then my pulse gradually quickens and peaks anywhere from 110-140 and then gradually comes back down. That has been the latest.

Seems like once you get used to one thing another pops up to keep it interesting. :)

It seems a lot of us experience palpitations of some sort and I know this topic has come up before but I'd like to know this...

What symptoms or feelings do you actually experience when you get arrhythmias?

Fluttering in the chest, feeling like your heart dropped, a quick a sinking feeling, shortness of breath, indigestion, pain of any type?

And what triggers them? Are they triggered by deep breaths, yawning, sneezing, crying, eating too much, or do they mostly appear when you're feeling anxious?

I'd be curious to get everyone's input. :)

Thanks,

Gena