Book publishers?

Dawg Tired

Now, how do I get it published? I know there are some writers on here. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

It tells the story of me getting sick and the frustration with the medical community. Even though my insurance company was willing to do ANYTHING to help me doctors put up roadblocks.

Hey there,

I'm a poet, and know alot of publishers of poetry, but I'm not so sure about non-fiction.

Here's some websites that may get you started---

This is for a website that may help you find a LEGITIMATE publisher:

http://www.awpwriter.org/magazine/index.htm

This is a website that has links to hundreds of literary journals and presses. Most of these will only be publishing chapters, or short stories, but I know that some of the smaller presses also publish novels on occasion:

http://www.oysterboyreview.com/links/journals.html

and also http://www.oysterboyreview.com/links/publishing.html (small presses)

The best advice I have for you is to BE CAREFUL. There are alot of phony publishers out there that will "publish" your book, but in reality will steal the rights to your manuscript and then try to sell those rights back to you. I can't remember the names of those publishers off the top of my head, but just please, please be careful. Here's some things to watch out for:

1. If you submit your ENTIRE manuscript ONLINE, it's probably a fraud. Some small presses will ask for chapters, or excerpts: those are okay.

2. If they charge you a fee to read your manuscript, it's probably a fraud.

3. If they instantly accept your manuscript for publication without reading it, it's probably a fraud.

Bottom line: research very carefully before submitting your manuscript to anyone.

Unfortunately, it is VERY difficult for first time authors to publish. It took nearly a year of sending out my manuscripts before I got published the first time. Most of the time, it's about who you know, and what kind of reputation you have as an author.

I do have a friend who runs a small poetry press called "Gentle Scorpion Books", I'm pretty sure he's published a few non-fiction books as well. I'll talk to him about your book if you want, and send you a private message when I have an answer. Just let me know if that's okay with you.

Email me if you have any questions at laurenem@hawaii.edu, I'd love to help in any other way I can.

Best of luck,

Lauren

Dear Dawg Tired, (but not too tired to write an entire book!)

Your work is not done it is just beginning a new phase!

I am so proud of you. I am a writer and editor and have quite a bit of experience in the publishing world. To answer you questions about publishing, I am replying privately.

But I want to say publicly how awesome you are for doing this. Dysautonomia can certainly use the awareness.

So watch for my email.

Gayla!

Congrats on this HUGE accomplishment...

I started once upon a time, but never finished! BUT when I was writing, another suggestion people gave me about publishers was to look at publishers who publish books similar to the one you are looking to publish...

When I could still read, I read a lot of books on coping with chronic illness or such things--so those would be publishers who might be intereste in your genre of book...

Hope this helps...you already got great advice from people...

Please keep us posted.

And Lauren...you've got me wanting to read YOUR stuff now...Where can I get your published works????? :)

Emily

Guest Julia59

Congratulations Dawg Tired!

I'm so happy for you and hope you have great success in getting your book published.

It's time to get the word out there, and this is a good way to do it. A lot of us are frustrated with the medical community also-----so glad that this part of your journey is in the book.

Best of luck to you!

Julie :0)

Thanks everyone! I have been working on this since 2003, just shortly after making the move back to Missouri from Montana and it has taken me this long! I will keep everyone updated of any progress I might make...