POTS and more are bad, yet I am good

michiganjan

LOL!! Emily...

yeah I know whatchya mean..my dresser is full of pj's.. LOL!

I am now on the hunt for a really warm and soft/fuzzy bathrobe! LUXURY!

today I am quite mismatched in my pj's.. mightgown w/purple and green frogs on it :lol: and b/c i got freezing cold.. I added a pair of pink plaid pj bottoms :):lol: and a pair of regular socks then a pair of heavy heavy socks.. b/c I cant warm my feet up! big surprise huh?

I knit with my mothers knitting group and guild when I am able to, and they have several charity projects each year. We did chemo caps several years ago and whenever I knit a hat that turns out the wrong size for me, I sent it to the chemo patients. There is a yarn...I think Chenchilla..I know I spelled that very wrong. Anyhow, we were told the chemo patients really like that yarn. Its very soft and almost silky and gently on them. Comes in pretty colors too, and knits up fast. It is a little slipper so I suggest wooden needles or plastic ones...I have a kit of needles my mother picked up for me. I will have to post the name. They come in a little "book" and you open it and you have over ten different needle sizes and the different thingies that go between the needles. Brain fog. Anyhow, you than have circular needles. I adore my kit and its great because it fits so easily in my knitting bag and I always have needles handy. I think they are "Denise" needles. Let me know if you want more info and I will get it.

We also knit clothes for the premies, because nothing fits them when they are born so early. Little hats, sweaters and booties! Very cute. There are usually guidelines on what yarns we can use. For babies we use yarn that can be put in the wash and isn't scratchy.

I didn't know so many of us knit! Certainly something we can do in POTsy moments laying down. I finished knitting a sweater and have been too out of it to sew it together correctly...should really try to finish that since its getting chilly out!

ooooohhhh blackbirdsings!

i would LOVE to get that kit of needles you are talking about...i didn't know that you could make regular needles into circular needles...i NEED that! this prayer shawl is too cumbersome on the straight needles...i think it would be so much easier on circular needles...

jan, i'm sorry we've gotten a bit off-topic, but you sure have gotten our CREATIVE juices flowing! thanks!

emily

Emily, I amazingly just found the link to the knitting needles very easily. I rarely knit on straight needles because I get tired and they are a bit of a pain. Circulars are so easy to use, light, travel well, and easy to use in bed or on a sofa. I thought the idea of this kit was silly and wouldn't be that great, but as soon as I used it I was hooked. I started knitting SO much more after I got this kit. I did get a pair of gorgeous mahogony needles-straight, but have yet to finish the project because I find them a bit cumbersome. They are pretty to look at though...

The needles make knitting go fast but they aren't the turbo type. The turbo needles that are metal tend to be too slippery and my hands get too sore too fast.

Here is the link...there is also a page that lists all the stores you can get them from all over the nation. If you aren't able to get out, call one of the stores and they should be able to send the stuff to you. We no longer have a knitting shop near us, so if we need something and can't get to the store, we call stores we like all over the nation and they send us stuff. Most send it overnight or within a day, so there isn't much of a wait!

www.knitdenise.com

What yarns are you using to make a lapblanket? I love some of the ones that are in stores from chunky yarns. I was worried about how much it would cost using some of the yarns I like to make a blanket like that...I may go ahead and do it, so I can have something to do, and I'm cold most of the time. We went to the outdoor store to buy me more warm socks and I asked if they had something thicker and warmer, and the salesguy flipped out....appearently I am in the warmest sock, and he was blown away by how cold I get. We had to explain a little but they still had their jaws dropped.

This is a bit off topic, but knitting certainly is great to do on POTsy days and feel like you have accomplished something!

blackbirdsings....

i would like to know what others are using for blankets too. i am just knitting a prayer shawl with the lion brand homespun yarn.

i am always looking for specific yarns and patterns to use b/c i cannot leave the house and have to send people to get the things i want...

anyways, i gotta hit the hay, but saw your post and wanted to say a

HUGE THANK YOU...for getting back to me about the needles

i am going to ask for them for hannukah/christmas!!!!!!!!!

i really appreciate it.

so, if i just transfer the shawl from the straight needles i just knit like i was knitting? it won't 'connect' will it? i did make a hat on circular needles but it was supposed to connect and i don't want that!

anyways, i will check out the website tomorrow and put this on my list of NEEDS! he-he. you know, we NEED these thigns!

you are soooo right. i do NOT know what i would have done without knitting these past few years. it keeps my fingers busy b/c i get so antsy just listening to books on tape and stuff. but doesn't hurt my neck like everything else...

well, i gotta go to bed, already took my ambien and should not be typing away!

i get sucked in sometimes!

again, 'little helps' like a type of yarn or what kind of needles to use or what website to look at them...that is a very big help in my world! thank you!

emily

Emily, I'm glad the information was of help to you! I will send you a PM so you can get in touch with me. I have several books with "hip" patterns and I just got a pattern book to go with a new yarn. Very cute hats and sweaters. I need to finish the hat so I can start the sweater! My mother is HUGE knitter and knits when she is stressed. So that is ALOT of the time with me being so sick lately. She is even knitting a sweater I started but felt too bad to finish for me! I am so amazed with that, and she nearly finished it in two days. It takes me weeks, because after a few rows I am too out of it lately to remember what to do.

On circular needles. Hold the stiches on the straight needle in your left hand and the new circular needle in your right hand. Simply knit the stiches onto the new needle (circular!) so you do not have to transfer stiches by slipping them over. Than just flip your piece around and continue knitting and pearling as you had done on the straight needles. It is much easier to do it this way. You will not join the yarn or have to worry about that. It is just like working on straight needles. If you are ever making a hat or other project that asks you to join the stiches, it is its own technique that I mess up alot...what you do is cast on the stiches and than you join them into a circle. I know that might not make alot of sense but you shouldn't worry about your piece becoming circular.

If you are able to get out at all to a knitting shop, try to go when they aren't really busy. My mother took me to one several weeks ago and I felt horrible and couldn't walk due to some medical tests. I ended up at table in the center of the room with my legs propped up. The ladies in the store know I am sick and faint, so they just asked what I might want to work on. Than my mother and them brought me tons of patterns and yarns till I found something I liked. They even brought me ten different colors of one yarn so I could choose, and said they didn't mind getting everything out for me and putting it back! If the store hadn't done that for me I would have sat and fussed the entire time and left really upset that I wasn't well enough to get up and around to select yarns, etc. So if there is a cool knitting shop near you, if might be good to try to go every few months and stock up on yarn. Lately I've been ordering alot of stuff online or only going to stores where I know I can sit and be brought stuff, otherwise its just too tough on me these days.

Hey guys! I'm trying to catch up on all these posts that I've been missing and thought I'd stop in and say "hello".

Jan- I'm so excited about your puzzles..I knew that they'd be a success!! :P

I hope that things continue to improve for Jeff..I will continue to send prayers and good thoughts your way!

For all you knitters..there's a great sight that I get my yarn from in bulk..it's discountyarnsale.com. They carry a lot of great brands and their rates are good..especially if your working on a blanket and need multiple skeins. I tried to teach myself to knit several weeks ago..(I crochet)..I do not know how you guys do it?! I kinda got the hang of it but the edges are all sloppy and it's so easy to drop stitches. I've never tried to follow a pattern before..I just stick to square and rectangular objects..much easier!! :rolleyes:

Love to you all!!

Hello emily!

I know how to crochet.. but I dont know how to knit.. perhaps if we ever cross paths.. we could teacher each other how to knit and how to crochet!!

:)